Sign in to follow this  
hoophead

What do you suggest for free A/V, etc?

I have free AVG and AVAST and was told it might not be a good idea to have more than one A/V running together. Is that true??

Which one do you all suggest?

Do I also need other protection??

Any free ones suggested???

Only have ONE active AV running. Mostly it is a personal choice-AVG, Avast, or AntiVir.

Spywareblaster, +maybe Windows Defender or Threatfire as active antispyware.

SuperAntispyware, a-squared, Spybot, AdAware as scanners

My opinion......very disappointed in what AVG 8 is today, and the list of unhappy users grows.

Our list of free choices is shrinking.

Avira

Here is a tutorial on it's setup and use:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/content/Se...rticles/64.html

Avast!

How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus

Never install more than one antivirus scanner or firewall on your system

If you have AVG 8, then dump it. Seems to be a lot of problems with this version.

As long as you install it without the link scanner and are aware that it detects the protection from spywareblaster and spybot it still is a low rescource product.

And just to help the above here is the instructions.

If you wish to install AVG 8.0 Free Edition without the LinkScanner component, or uninstall this component from your program, please proceed as follows:

* Download the AVG 8.0 Free Edition installation package from HERE .

o save the AVG Free installation file directly to disk C:\

o open menu Start -> Run

o type or copy and paste.

c:\avg_free_stf_en_8_100a1295.exe /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSurf /REMOVE_FEATURE fea_AVG_SafeSearch

* The installation will be started, and AVG will be installed without the LinkScanner component.

I've been doing some reading on the newest version of Avira, and it appears to be the best free anti-virus, and is in league with some of the bigger commercial AVs, such as NOD32 & the like.

I tried the new AVG 8.0 because I have used 7.5 for so long and had no problems with it.

The problem I had with 8.0 was that it would not scan, either manually or when I scheduled a scan.

A few cleanouts and reinstalls didn't change that, so I installed Antivir and it does all it says it will.

I'm satisfied with it.

Been trying for 2 days now to get AVG 8 to install correctly on my W2K Pro machine. No go. After installation it reports that the database is disabled...not to mention 3 error messages. I guess I'll try Antivir and see what happens.

Well, after looking through Grisoft's site, I have figured out why AVG 8 won't install correctly on my W2K Pro machine. Seems that AVG 8 won't install correctly if the disk drive is not formatted NTFS. My disk is setup for fat32 file system. According to Grisoft's site, an update to correct this problem will come out in mid June. So, if you're having trouble that the update database is disabled, and the auto updating don't work, along with a couple registry handles missing.......then check to see what format your disk is using. This is probably your problem. :geezer:

the best anti virus is not having to use one

A Limited User account will not keep viruses off your PC. It may lessen the risk but an antivirus is still recommended. Avast! has my vote. -kd5-