Sign in to follow this  
MrHappyGoLucky12

Internet Security Suites

Suites usually are not the way to go, make you own custom one from good forum reviews & what you like. And it can all be free, or maybe a little better if paid. A forum search will bring up the results of the same often asked question.

im using Trend Micro Internet Security Pro

i used to use Trend Micro Internet Security 2007

256MB minimum (512MB recommended) for Windows XP

im using 2 GB RAM because of a few programs

on another computer i use i GB RAM and use Panda Internet Security 2008

Panda is very lightweight Does not use resources.

The only draw back with Panda is you always have reset your username and password that can be annoying

and on the IBM i use Norton Corporate Edition 10.0 just an antivirus

along with Windows Firewall......it doesnt use any resources

on that computer is 768 MB of RAM

Again a draw back with it is that i find myself running a occasional repair to norton scan engine

But for those draw backs with Panda Internet Security and Norton Corporate Version 10.0 ...There just small things to do.....

Also NOD32 is another one but i have not the opportunity to try it yet

There are the free antivirus version.....you can always give them a try

Edited by mme

I believe AVG has a security suite but it will cost you money for a two year subscription. I use AVG on my laptop and I think it does a great job.

+1 for AVG Internet Security Suite. Uses the least amount of resources of any suite I've seen and works as well or better than anything else. I recommend disabling the anti-spam, as it's a pain.

I fix computers for a living, and nothing is faster at updates and does a better job than AVG for the $. I think you'll find AVG is also cheaper for a 2 year subscription than anything else.

One tool I might add to the arsenal is CounterSpy 2.5. I find it'll fix a couple things that AVG, Norton, Panda, CA, Trend Micro, etc., won't.

Another tool that's a must have is SuperAntiSpyware 4.0. It's free, and what most sites will refer you to after running a Hijack This log when nothing else works. :)

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Suites usually are not the way to go, make you own

I'm with law9933 on this one.

If you want us to be more specific, let us know, you'll probably be inundated with what's best for you. :)

Hello MrHappyGoLucky,

I use Kaspersky 7.0 myself, best software I ever have used so far. And it is very low on taking up memory/resources. > http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_services...et-security.php You can find it for as little as $50 if you look around. Anyways it is rated top notch by many pc professionals, and I include myself in that rating agreement. I have tried every single suite there is on antivirus an antispyware, and Kaspersky, is the best IMO.

Wademan™

Edited by Wademan

Vipre (Sunbelt Software) might be worth a look too. It's not a typical suite as it's not 2 programs molded together. Its 1 program that does both spyware and viruses. I've been beta testing it for a while now and it's pretty sweet, and great support. :-)

I've decided to go with Avast, AdAware, and Spybot. Do you think this is adequate potection for my computer? Are there any additional programs that you suggest I install?

Thanks for your help!

I use nod 32 because it works and it's light on resources. I've been reading about that yoggie device mentioned in GD and I think I'd like to check that out. I had webroot antispyware but it started getting to the point of a noticable hit in my pc's performance, that I removed it. They make this yoggie sound like you'll be bullet prof, I wonder if it really does that?

Edited by Joe C

I've decided to go with Avast, AdAware, and Spybot. Do you think this is adequate potection for my computer? Are there any additional programs that you suggest I install?

Thanks for your help!

Never used Avast, so no idea how good that is.

Adaware (free or paid) are crap as far as I'm concerned. Many infections aren't identified and many more not removed.

My opinion of Spybot isn't much better. I've had numerous infections that Spybot either couldn't identify or couldn't remove.

We see lots of infections doing repairs on customer systems. For my money, if AVG's internet security suite, CounterSpy, and/or SuperAntispyware can't find and remove the pests, they can't be removed. AVG will be noticeable on slower systems during scans, but only a couple of games weren't playable for me due to frame jumping. CounterSpy is a bit more sluggish on a system, but it works. I usually keep it off except for scanning and or surfing where I need the active protection. SuperantiSpyware isn't even noticeable when running or scanning.

So if my customers want free, we give them AVG free AV and AVG free anti-spyware, and SuperantiSpyware free.

If they want to spend a bit, we recommend the AVG Security Suite and CounterSpy, along with SuperantiSpyware (free).

Cnet doesn't test all antispyware apps, but here's a list of where they ranked the ones that they did test:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3688_7-6812013-1.html

Edited by dark41

Adaware 2007 ...is not very good.....Adaware 2007 can remove .EXE files causing your computer not to open programs.......i used to like the old adware se.....i dont use spybot....or spyware blaster...trend micro internet security is good for me

i tend to think too much spyware programs attracts too much attention for malware and hackers

i did use superantispyware but the .EXE that runs and loads it got infected with a trojan uninstall it and cleaned trojan out

its too bad it was a nice program...but im shy of it now

Edited by mme

mme,

If the antispyware programs are free & only are ran now & then manually, how do they attract attention for malware & hackers? You should only have one actively running.

i believe they get attracted throught the home website of and through the downloads...this is only my opinion antispyware programs

mme,

If the antispyware programs are free & only are ran now & then manually, how do they attract attention for malware & hackers? You should only have one actively running.

Should only have 1 actively running? Surely you're getting confused with AV, as they tend to have problems with more than 1 program installed. Every reliable site/recommendation I've ever seen has recommended running more than 1 anti-spyware program for best results.

On customers computers I use:

Avast! 4 Home Edition (not quite as user friendly as AVG but all around a better antivirus IMHO)

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition (scan only)

Spybot S&D v1.5.2 (scan & block)

SpywareBlaster 4.0 (block only)

SpywareGuard 2.2 (like a real-time AV for spyware)

And I instruct them in the use of Common Sense... ;) -kd5-

On customers computers I use:

Avast! 4 Home Edition (not quite as user friendly as AVG but all around a better antivirus IMHO)

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition (scan only)

Spybot S&D v1.5.2 (scan & block)

SpywareBlaster 4.0 (block only)

SpywareGuard 2.2 (like a real-time AV for spyware)

And I instruct them in the use of Common Sense... ;) -kd5-

Two thumbs up! :tup: :tup:

:geezer:

hackers and malicious software makers create phony download sites

and they use top names such as Adaware/Lavasoft to attract anyone

One of the top anti-spyware programs out there today is Lavasoft’s Ad-Aware program..........

It can be found just about anywhere for free............

every site you get it from is giving you the original version.

They could be using the name and actually infecting your computer.

They are ingenious in finding new ways to make people open an attachment or click on a link to visit a certain website, though people are constantly told not to follow links in spam.

Just some of their dodges -- disguising infected spam emails as CNN news alerts, subject lines with "breaking news" like "Osama bin Laden caught", "Michael Jackson tried to commit suicide". How about celebrities in the nude? Just click! And, one of the latest, an "amateur video" that ostensibly shows London bombing sights.

just some examples im sure the real programs from there home base are good its the phonies that what a newbie has to be aware of

im not posting the links they maybe considered as Spam

dark41

I might be wrong, but I thought more than one active antispyware can clash the same as AVs. Running several manually gives good broad coverage.

(Spyware Blaster & Spyware Guard are blockers & usually do not clash with a AS)

I'm not calling you a liar Law, I'd just never heard that before.

I run 3 anti-spyware programs at the same time and usually sample new ones every couple months or so. Never had a problem for what its worth.

I did a repair a couple weeks ago on a system that had 15 different malware programs on his system. Almost all of them were the fake anti-spyware programs, complete with browser hijackers popup windows, and task bar icons. Talk about a mess getting all that stuff off. (That's why I really like SuperAntiSpyware as it did most of the work). Obviously some people do fall for that stuff, even though their intentions are good.

Edited by dark41

dark41

Which antispyware programs do you run & are they free or paid?

I have

Windows Defender active

AVG Antispywae manual

Superantispyware manual

Spybot manual

AdAware manual

a-squared manual

Spyware Blocker & Guard

Mamutu active

WinPatrol free

Edited by law9933

dark41

Which antispyware programs do you run & are they free or paid?

I have

Windows Defender active

AVG Antispywae manual

Superantispyware manual

Spybot manual

AdAware manual

a-squared manual

Spyware Blocker & Guard

Mamutu active

WinPatrol free

I run AVG Internet Security Suite for SBS, includes AVG's anti-spyware (paid)

SuperAntiSpyware (free)

CounterSpy 2.5 (paid)

All active at the same time and all set to scan at 6AM (when I'm not around). :)

Ok, you got 2 out of three I guess.

Real time protection-free or paid.

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

I know nothing of CounterSpy. I am still trying to learn more & to get better.

Norton is fussy & may clash with ConterSpy??

As I remember Spyware Docter does not like Spyware Blaster???

I guess more than one active antispyware is only a safe general theory, if I have seen it.