Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d0nut

No Input Signal during Bootup

I have just picked up a 2nd user PC with a problem. When I boot up, the TFT screen display is normal until just before the Welcome message. Then the screen goes black, the moniter LED turns orange and I get the message "no input signal". The hard drive continues to make all the familiar noises and seems to be booting OK, as when I switch off and reboot I get a reminder to close down the programs before switching off next time. The OS is Windows XP pro. By the way, I have tried another monitor with the same results.

All help welcome.

d0nut

Two monitors with the same results suggests either a bad cable connecting the monitors to the video card or a weak failing video or possibly a weak failing power supply.

Two monitors with the same results suggests either a bad cable connecting the monitors to the video card or a weak failing video or possibly a weak failing power supply.

Thanks, Mouse. I've done a Google search and it would seem that the trouble is down to the drivers on the graphics card which is Nvidia. Runs OK in 'safe' mode. Nobody seems to have a quick solution to this problem, in spite of the fact that hundreds of users seem to be suffering. Can I use a different card? I don't play games, only use my PC for research, ebay etc.

I reckon this is why this computer was so cheap (immaculate, £80 with 17 inch TFT screen and HP printer) but I would like to have it working properly.

Cheers.

d0nut

Since what you've found is that it's a driver issue try what Joe recommended uninstalling the video driver in safe mode then reboot. If the reboot to windows goes without a hitch then find and install a better driver for the video card or onboard video before buying a differnet video card. Working in safe mode is because of the limited number of drivers loaded when in safe mode.