Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Virginia 1st state to require Internet safety lessons

Hooray for Virginia, it is about time someone stepped up to the plate and did something about the way people use computers, it won't be a miracle of course and won't make a huge difference right away, but in time if more of this were to happen across the country it could end up having big impact.

Virginia is the first state to mandate that public schools offer Internet safety classes for all grade levels -- and it's one of many measures being taken nationally to protect young Web users.

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=8127995

Edited by Bruce

we'll just have to see just what the state of virginia determines to be "internet safety". are they going to use this as an opportunity to demonize all p2p, or will they be fair and partial? i'm sure the majority will be regarding online chatting and relationships and what to look out for, which is good, but i'm always wary of any government-mandated education.

me being a parent can't do it on our own, we must rely in part of our educational system.

being a tax payer i expect that much, schools are improving here but not as much as the state of virginia.

don't you feel that its a worthy enough cause ?

any dollar they give to schools are useful, i don't think we should deprive schools of these resources !

they need all the help that they can get and more........

any dollar they give to schools are useful, i don't think we should deprive schools of these resources !

No! Need and public good don't warrant injustice. If I lived in Virginia right now I would be outraged that the state thinks it can teach children better than parents. The state has 0 interest in a child becoming educated.

we spend billions and billions of dollars more on school now than just 20 years ago, yet they are worse. how the hell can you say that more money is helpful? government schools are wasteful, inefficient, and lousy places for our children to be educated.

i disagree when you say wasteful because kids have to go to school, however i can agree that the schools in inner cities are horrible, i say that because corruption and overall poverty and carelessness dwellers to maintain a healthy clean community, not to mention the disregard in bringing up children with manners and respect.

the schools are crap just about everywhere, not just inner cities. and it is very wasteful if the money isn't spent efficiently.

Computers are part of the education system now. Teaching how to use them responsibly should be taught before anything is done with them.

There is a hell of a lot more to computing then learning how to use word, and excel. In fact learning about the computer, the internet, and how to be safe when doing so will go further then the idiotic courses that are taught today.

They don't teach much about computers, or the internet and what they do teach is useless.

and this will probably about as useless. it'll be some football coach teaching it who learned how to use his computer from his son.

Could very well be thats how it will end up.

Well in the schools that can afford a football coach anyways ;)

Teachers are not paid enough, you get what you pay for. People simple don't want to go to college for four years so they can earn 30,000 a year :lol:

Until our schools are properly funded we will continue to have teachers teaching subjects they know nothing about.

Funding isn't a problem? :blink:

Class sizes are so large they don't have enough books for all the students.

Teachers supply pencils and paper, because the school can't afford it.

Teachers spend more time babysitting 50 and 60 kids instead of teaching students who want to learn.

They have to defend themselves against violence, and can't do anything about verbal abuse................

Schools aren't much more then overcrowded day care centers these days.

Then when someone comes up with something that may actually be helpful in the real world, people complain about it.

Fire the football coach, hire a teacher, sell the football equipment and hire a couple more teachers, build classrooms instead of gymnasiums and football fields and on and on.

If you think schools are properly funded and the staff is being paid enough then you haven't been paying attention to the school systems.

if you think the politicians are running the school systems efficiently, then you haven't been paying attention. do you have any idea how much it costs the schools to follow the unfunded mandates from the federal and state governments?

Edited by badbinary

It's the adminastration in the school systems that are the issue, If they had any gonads they would let the teachers do what they became teachers for and let them teach, Bruce is correct in saying teachers are babysitters today. The parents that are responsible for telling their kids from right and wrong have failed and leave their problems to the schools to handle. The administration is more interested in getting x amount of $$$ for each student from the state coffers than they are in education

the state regulates the curriculum, and the fed mandates the testing. the administration (who are politicians, too) are definitely part of the problem too, but throwing more money at a broken system is moronic at best.

The administration is the principal, vice principal and the school board. In my community, it's all local and nobody holds a political office

It's the teachers responsibility to follow the state and federal guidelines, not the admin

Edited by Joe C

you don't elect your school board members?

you think the administration doesn't have anything to do with it all?

a principal threatened the lives of teachers if test scores didn't come up. http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/sto...EN.22ebced.html

why would he do that if it's not his responsibility to meet state and federal mandates?

and, by the way, they're not guidelines, they are truly mandates...

Edited by badbinary

local election, non-partisian. Has nothing to do with state/fed elections

It boils down to ca$h. If meap scores are low, the state withholds funds...if the scores are bad enough, the school will get closed. The teachers give out the test and submit the test to the state. yup...the admin is there to have a fit if the funds get cut but teachers are too busy writing IEP's and meeting with parents that don't show up to IEP meetings , No parent no meeting so you have the student, teacher, counselers, and the students lawyers but it's a waisted day w/o a parent

Edited by Joe C