Sign in to follow this  
kd5

Bonjour & iTunes

What is up with this Bonjour crap that ships with iTunes now? I've searched here and elsewhere and found a great many people who don't appreciate Bonjour running in the background doing lord knows what. What I'd like to do is get rid of it altogether but all I see wherever I search is how to disable the Service, not uninstall it completely.

My question is: Can you uninstall Bonjour (it does appear in Add/Remove Programs) without harming iTunes?

Thanks, -kd5-

Yes. The only depedency iTunes has is Quicktime, and even that can be fulfilled without having to have CrapTime installed.

Edited by brandon

Yes. The only depedency iTunes has is Quicktime, and even that can be fulfilled without having to have CrapTime installed.

You can't install iTunes without Quicktime, so it's either Quicktime or Quicktime Alternative (if that will even work with iTunes), but since Quicktime Alternative requires that aspects of Quicktime be installed anyway, what's the point of not just installing Quicktime and have done with it?

bounjour is used to discover other computers and services. It may be necessary. Needless to say it isn't sitting there eating up the computers resources. :lol:

I have used it in the past on my own networks.

You can read about it here.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/bonjour.html

Well, I had read that Bonjour was installed with iTunes as a means of file sharing, and I realize that it's not busy eating 100% of available resources, but it's another Service, set to Automatic, that I feel (unless someone is actually going to use it) is unnecessary. On a computer with a whole string of unnecessary Services running, you try to see what you can trim down. Bonjour just seems to me like another unnecessary Service, I have set the Service to Disabled, will leave Bonjour installed in case it's necessary for the proper operation of iTunes. -kd5-

bounjour is used to discover other computers and services. It may be necessary. Needless to say it isn't sitting there eating up the computers resources. :lol:

I have used it in the past on my own networks.

You can read about it here.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/technology/bonjour.html

Cheers, Bruce,

Was going to ask in Virus forum what on earth this Bonjour rubbish was, my firewall blocked "an attempt to access the internet" by bonjour yeaterday, and I set it to never allow access, so we will wait and see if this upsets Itunes.

Cheers, Bruce,

Was going to ask in Virus forum what on earth this Bonjour rubbish was, my firewall blocked "an attempt to access the internet" by bonjour yeaterday, and I set it to never allow access, so we will wait and see if this upsets Itunes.

If you have other computers on your home network, you can share itunes libraries seamlessly between them with the use of bonjour, if you have a network of mixed operating systems it will also communicate between all those systems. It uses UPNP to make the music accessible, so it would the music available to any upnp aware application, you can also use it to play music through stereo speakers connected to an apple airport from any computer.

There are a lot of benefits to using it. It is not a necessary service to have running, but it is a pretty good service to have running if you have more then one computer with itunes installed.

It can even make the setting up of networked printers and other devices easier.

Zero configuration, anywhere.

Even Windows PCs can take advantage of Bonjour. For free. The Bonjour Setup Wizard makes setting up a printer in Windows as easy as in Mac OS X (we can’t make it as beautiful, unfortunately). Bonjour for Windows includes a plug-in for Internet Explorer, so you can set up a Bonjour-enabled device without knowing its IP address. You can even print to printers connected via USB to an AirPort Extreme Base Station or AirPort Express. If you’re an open source enthusiast, you’ll be able to download the Bonjour source code to create software for virtually any platform.

Edited by Bruce

You can't install iTunes without Quicktime

You can, at least you used to be able too, BUT, finding the link for it is a nightmare, when I used to do it you went to the iTunes page and then had to scan every little bit of the page for any\all small print which would give you a link to the standalone installer, but it was always a nightmare to find it, but I couldn't swear if thats still the case today or not, but it was true of the past at least.

The thing I do have an issue with QuickTime is the software installer, have you ever tried installing the software and unchecking that item to say you don't want it ? well I do when using QuickTime alone, and yet even though I've said no to it when I look it's installed anyway, now that is naughty IMHO.

Mind you just tried looking for it again, and as I said it was always a real swine to find, but although I couldn't find it this time I did see reference to it's a required component, so it looks like it's changed which reflects what you had said, but in the past it was available as a standalone installer.