Sign in to follow this  
McRuck

Fix Internet explorer Cache overflow the easy way

To fix the internet explorer cache overflow all you need to do is the following:

open internet options and change the location of your temporary internet files folder to an empty partition or ideally to an empty flash drive.

windows will log you out momentarilly to complete the move.

when you log back in open disk management and select the partition or flash drive where your temporary internet files folder is now located and select format.

a warning will appear that the disk is in use but you will have the option to force the format action.

Do so and close disk management .

now open explorer and IE will recreate a new temporary internet file folder in its default c: location with no more overflow to worry about.

done and done. beats the hell out of the tedious steps given by microsoft.

If anyone needs i can include a step by step with pics but i didn't want to load up the server if this was clear enough.

wont CCleaner do it all? :rolleyes:

and :wp:

Can I do this with a floppy and format it? And won't it just overflow again?

Edited by markcynt

[Well no c cleaner won't do it . cache over flow is what happens when explorer loses track of the files due to incorrect shut down for example. you may have 40 mb alotted to your cache size but have 120 becasue as far as explorer know s the rest of those files aren't there. and yes it may very well over flow again but this is how to correct it .

In the Internet Options Advanced menu, under Security, there's an "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" option.  I would guess that selecting that would also keep the overflow from occurring.  My own practise is to delete the T.I.Files folder, and let IE recreate it on restart.

In the Internet Options Advanced menu, under Security, there's an "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" option.  I would guess that selecting that would also keep the overflow from occurring.  My own practise is to delete the T.I.Files folder, and let IE recreate it on restart.

Sorry, but you've guessed wrong. I often delete all files from temporary internet files, yet copied 30+mb of data to my flash drive when following this procedure.

One thing that should be mentioned, is that depending upon the amount of data to be transferred, it can take quite a while to log off. In my case, it was 15 minutes while my browser stated "not responding" but all the time data was being transferred to the flash drive. Eventually it did log off and everything else worked as explained above.

Great tip! :)

To fix the internet explorer cache overflow all you need to do is the following:

open internet options and change the location of your temporary internet files folder to an empty partition or ideally to an empty flash drive.

when you log back in open disk management and select the partition or flash drive where your temporary internet files folder is now located and select format.

a warning will appear that the disk is in use but you will have the option to force the format action.

now open explorer and IE will recreate a new temporary internet file folder in its default c: location with no more overflow to worry about.

If anyone needs i can include a step by step with pics but i didn't want to load up the server if this was clear enough.

Well I did as instructed and now when I click on view files nothing happens? View objects works fine.

Tech Republic

How do I… Force Disk Cleanup to delete all temporary files?

Author: Greg Shultz

If you’ve ever run the Microsoft Windows XP’s Disk Cleanup utility, you probably discovered that your temporary files occupy a significant amount of space. You might select the Temporary Files check box in order to allow the Disk Cleanup utility to delete the files in the Temp folder, but the Disk Cleanup utility will not remove all of the files. The reason for this oddity is that the configuration for the Disk Cleanup utility does not allow deletion of files accessed in the last seven days.

Alter the parametersBy altering the LastAccess value in the registry, you can configure the Disk Cleanup utility to delete all the files in the Temp folder regardless of the last accessed date. Here’s how:

Launch the Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).

Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporary FilesLocate and double-click the LastAccess value.

When you see the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, change the Value Data setting from 7 to 0 and click OK.

To complete the operation, close the Registry Editor and restart Windows XP.

Changing the value to 0 will force the Disk Cleanup utility to delete all the files in the Temp folder every time that you select the Temporary Files check box.

Takes all of two minutes to do,

I would love a "step by step with pics" version. Thanks rnjoshua@hotmail.com

dark41, I said "...there's an "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" option.  I would guess that selecting that would also keep the overflow from occurring", to which you responded, "Sorry, but you've guessed wrong.".

I was, however, apparently correct.  Untrusting soul that I am, I just now enabled the option, and after closing Internet Explorer, each of the four folders contained only a single, small file, Desktop.ini.  The function obviously worked exactly as expected,

dark41, I said "...there's an "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" option.  I would guess that selecting that would also keep the overflow from occurring", to which you responded, "Sorry, but you've guessed wrong.".

I was, however, apparently correct.  Untrusting soul that I am, I just now enabled the option, and after closing Internet Explorer, each of the four folders contained only a single, small file, Desktop.ini.  The function obviously worked exactly as expected,

Tom, I've had that box checked from the get go, yet I still get loads of Temp files. I'm using IE 7 with SP3. Maybe that could be the difference?

I still get loads of Temp files. I'm using IE 7 with SP3. Maybe that could be the difference?

A bug dating back at least to Internet Explorer 5 can cause IE to "lose" its 4 temp folders and their contents. IE then creates 4 new working folders when it is next started. This sequence can recur more than once. IE can empty the newest folders, but the previous groups are beyond its ken. This may be your situation.

Or, you may be mistaking cookie files for temporary Internet files. Open the Temporary Internet Files (TIFs) folder by clicking Start and Run, then typing

Local SettingsTemporary Internet Files

and clicking OK.

You will typicslly see dozens of cookie files in addition to cached graphics and Web pages. Deleting TIFs gets rid of everything except cookie files, because the cookies aren't really there. They are stored in the Cookies folder (click Start, Run, type Cookies and click OK), and a bit of magic allows them to be displayed in the TIFs folder when they actually don't exist in the folder.

To be completely honest, none of the other displayed files are there, either. They're reflections of files stored in the 4 working folders.

Here's a very easy trick you can use to delete all the files (but not the folders) in the TIFs folder. Click Start, Run, type or copy and paste

Notepad "Start MenuProgramsStartupDelTIFs.bat"

amd click OK. Click Yes to create a new file.

Copy and paste these lines (the long 4th line begins with "For" and ends with "DirPath=%%a"). After pasting into Notepad, delete the word "TAB" and press the TAB key to insert a TAB character in its place.

@Echo off

Set Key=HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerShell Folders

Set Val=Cache

For /f "tokens=3* delims=TAB" %%a in ('Reg Query "%Key%" /v "%Val%" ^|Findstr.exe /i "%Val%"') Do Set DirPath=%%a

CD /D "%DirPath%"

Del /S /Q Content.ie5 > nul

Click File, Exit, and Yes to save the file and close Notepad.

Log off and log on again. DelTIFs.bat will run automatically.

If you want the files deleted at each log on, leave DelTIFs.bat where it is. If you prefer not to, drag it from the Start / Programs / Startup folder to the Desktop. Anytime you want to do a mass file purge, copy and paste DelTIFs.bat back to the Startup folder, then log off and on.

[ EDIT: Updated to provide for the possibility that the Temporary Internet Files folder may have been moved, which I had not considered. ]

Edited by TomGL2