Sign in to follow this  
OSalcido

Debian - Lost My window Manager

I tried to install some updates to able to get MonoDevelop on my system. Everything worked at first .. but then I noticed for some reason I lost the file manager. Had to apt install "nautilus" to get it back

Restarted the system .. got to the login screen.. Logged in and everything is now blank. I think I lost the Window Manager so I installed IceWM and that's what Im using now

How do I get back the default Gnome Window Manager or Compiz or another window manager?

Is it metacity? I just found that on the menu and selecting it brings back the old look and feel but...im still missing the taskbar. What gives?

Edited by OSalcido

What do you mean "everything is blank"? Where were you getting updates from?

Open up Synaptic and check to see if things like metacity are installed...

from icewm

You're very good at being ambiguous.

I'm assuming you use GDM as a login manager? Are you telling me Gnome has disappeared completely from it?

You're very good at being ambiguous.

I'm assuming you use GDM as a login manager? Are you telling me Gnome has disappeared completely from it?

Ambigious?

IceWM is how I login

It has a menu option to select WindowManager and it has 2 options Metacity or IceWM. IceWM being selected already since Im on it. But I want metacity back. When I click metacity it gives me what happens in the screenshot e.g. a missing taskbar. There's no right click menu and I dont know how to get the taskbar back

I would start by just looking at Gconf-editor, not making any changes to see if anything stands out.

Did you update some gnome packages or remove some?

Ambigious?

IceWM is how I login

It has a menu option to select WindowManager and it has 2 options Metacity or IceWM. IceWM being selected already since Im on it. But I want metacity back. When I click metacity it gives me what happens in the screenshot e.g. a missing taskbar. There's no right click menu and I dont know how to get the taskbar back

Ok, but you didn't say that, and that's a pretty non-standard setup. What did you use before (as in, tell us what you lost)? What taskbar are you talking about? The IceWM one or the Gnome one? I might be wrong, but I don't believe IceWM has a display manager of it's own.

create another user account, drag over your files, why stress over a screwed up account when you can have a new one .