Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Free Home Music Server

Great little application that allows you to access your music files from within your Local network, or when away from home.

It is called sockso, and doesn't require installation, just download the zip file, extract it and run it from right there. It works on any operating system.

It's free, it's open source, and it works great.

http://sockso.pu-gh.com/

You can disable downloads so that you are not allowing others to download your music, but simply allows them to play the files in a web interface.

Edited by Bruce

Yep only music files. There are other applications out there that will serve everything.

But none as easy as this.

One that I like a lot is "twonkymedia" it is not free, but allows you to test it out before purchasing

http://www.twonkymedia.com/

Thanks Bruce, looks like a nice prog. What I thought was even nicer, was that it provided a pdf to save the guide. I almost always have to copy/paste the guides in anything I download and save it as a .txt or a .doc in the downloaded folder. I might not use the prog for a couple months and if I don't save any info about the prog,when I go to the installer, I think "what's this?" duh.....

Edited by Joe C

thats awesome, im listening to your gordon lightfoot right now

sundown you better take care...

I am going to have to set this up on my machine at home, thats really slick!

If you are doing it on openSuSE you have a couple options, you can download the linux package from their website and run it right from the directory you extract it from or you can go into Yast, Software manager, and search for sockso, install it and not only will you will get menu entries for it.

My router hated the default port 4444, so I switched it in the app and my router to 8080 and it's running like a champ.

You don't need to run the NAT test.

If you have it running, then just open browser and go to the IP:8080 or whatever port you set the application to use.

Me and my friends all use logmein pro it dont cost alot and we can all access and share each others files also listen to music and send remote invitations i can even access and control my pc from anywhere in the world its great if im out and about and need to use my computer

My router hated the default port 4444, so I switched it in the app and my router to 8080 and it's running like a champ.

Mine doesn't like 4444 either--I'll try your tip. Thanks. :)

there is my music for anyone who would like to listen

thanks bruce, now i need to figure out to to have it added to my startup so it will just load with windows, no biggie though, i only reboot like once a month anyways

edit, also, can you guys let me know if its working?

Edited by leprechanmonkie

Go back through the thread and you will see that port 4444 isn't liked by routers for some reason.

Change it to 8080 in the application, and then forward that port in your router to your computer.

well even with stupid :filtered: comcast, i can still download my music which is pretty great. Sucks i cant stream, i may try to get all my stuff onto my college's server and see if they can host it for me, but i dont have access to there router to forward ports etc :(