Sign in to follow this  
d0nut

XP Boot-up mystery.

Because of problems with my Windows XP desktop I have just reinstalled. However, when I boot, I get a choice of systems, Windows XP Professional or....................er..........Windows XP Professional. I have to hit 'enter' to carry on. Can anyone tell me how I can rectify this, please? Also, after reinstalling, I downloaded Thunderbird mail client and configured it, accounts and everything. I switched off and went back to it an hour or two later. When I re-booted, all the account information had disappeared and I had to go through the whole process again.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Because of problems with my Windows XP desktop I have just reinstalled. However, when I boot, I get a choice of systems, Windows XP Professional or....................er..........Windows XP Professional. I have to hit 'enter' to carry on. Can anyone tell me how I can rectify this, please? Also, after reinstalling, I downloaded Thunderbird mail client and configured it, accounts and everything. I switched off and went back to it an hour or two later. When I re-booted, all the account information had disappeared and I had to go through the whole process again.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Click on Start then click on Run, Type msconfig in box, Choose OK, System Configuration will come up. Click on Boot tab Will show all boot records. Highlight the one you do not want and click delete.

Did you run setup from the CD more than once? It's happened to me before, and it was due to me running setup more than once, and it left setup files on the HD.

Click on Start then click on Run, Type msconfig in box, Choose OK, System Configuration will come up. Click on Boot tab Will show all boot records. Highlight the one you do not want and click delete.

Thanks. The question is, which one will I delete? I tried making one (the one which seems to have 2 partitions) the default drive, but I was requested to go back and reverse this mocve. Bit out of my depth here, methinks :(

Brandon. No, I only ran set-up once.

in the systen configuration box, click on boot.ini tab, and click on the "check boot paths"

im not sayin this will happen but it might if you hve 2x xp installed on one partition the system may become verry unstable its happened to me in the past

Best thing to do is boot from xp cd and format the drive and install again if you aint prepared to do that then you need to delete all the files and folders from previous installation

It sounds to me that you have managed to install XP twice. It will allow you to install to XP installations onto the same partition but as others have said that will be very unstable, if you can get ti to boot at all.

My advice would be to a complete reinstall. When you get to the partitioning screen during set up, delete existing partitions and reinstall XP, on the reformatted drive.

Make sure you back up to disc all info that you need as this will wipe every thing off your puter, but it will solve your problem.

Open the C:\Boot.ini file.  Under [Operating Systems], you should see a couple of lines sinilar to

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

or

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

The parameters for multi and disk are nearly always 0 (zero), so ignore them.

If the parameters for rdisk and partition are the same in both lines [for example., both contain rdisk(2)partition(3)], then the boot entries invoke the same Windows installation, and you should delete one of the lines.

Open the C:\Boot.ini file.  Under [Operating Systems], you should see a couple of lines sinilar to

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

or

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

The parameters for multi and disk are nearly always 0 (zero), so ignore them.

If the parameters for rdisk and partition are the same in both lines [for example., both contain rdisk(2)partition(3)], then the boot entries invoke the same Windows installation, and you should delete one of the lines.

Tom. Did you not see my link in post #7?

All I see is a blank page

Nope, and neither will anyone other than you.  The URL for the screenshot image points to a file on your Desktop, which is inaccessible to everyone else.

What you need to do.

When booting the computeris enter your BIOS, and scroll over to your booting options. Choose CD/DVD drive as 1st option, and hard drive as second. Now save and exit BIOS.

When you see the "hit any key to boot from cd-rom" at the bottome of the black boot-screen, hit literally any key on your key-board.

Enter the world of loading up Windows, and looking at formatting completely fresh.

You have to read every single screen here, and choose carefully, as numerous options will come up.

Choose NOT to repair your install, most people never get the exact "how to do this" part of it, and it just makes a mess of their install, getting errors like you're having now. Even more educated users have "issues" with this, as XP didn't define it terribly well. It will work for recovering files, a full-format is still recommended in most cases.

You will want to run a fresh install, hit Enter when prompted.

You will want to choose a partition, and perhaps "delete that partition", which I recommend, as it will get rid of the old windows-install completely. Follow your key-prompts on-screen. Then you're going to need to create a partition(again, follow key-prompts on-screen) After this, let the computer boot up as it normally will, with restarts, and ignore the hit any-key to boot from cd-rom, as this will just keep you looping through the above-posted process, you now need to let it go through loading normally and installing windows. I personally disable boot from cd-rom after this and have it use the hard drive as first(and only) boot device to save time on reboots.(Need to enter BIOS again, and change boot-device order, disable all but hard drive after deleting and creating the partition, and initial load from cd).

I'd lay odds you have more than one partition on your current hard drive, or have more than one hard drive, and you chose to install Windows on the second partition, or second drive, and thus are getting two loading options. These are the only methods I know of, that this would be possible to get two or more boot-records written to a computer.

Multi-boot is an option, to allow someone to run more than one operating system off one computer, and using multiple-partitions or drives is exactly how it is accomplished.

More info, from a basic M$ perspective.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

Perhaps a more informative way of doing things.

http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/gee...atch-157578.php

Ho, hum. Sorry about the faulty link. Anyway, it seems that when I reinstalled XP it did not do a reformat as I thought. so I now have two copies of Windows. I shall have to delete one.

We just had a 80 mph gale here which caused a power surge, resulting in my desktop giving up the ghost. While I was checking inside the case, I noticed that many of the electrolytics on the mother-board were swollen and leaking. This could well be the cause of my initial problems which forced me to reinstall. A new mobo is now on the cards. Are they easy to configure? Never done one. I will probably get one fitted by an expert, anyway.

Thanks for all the input.

d0nut