Sign in to follow this  
bicycle bill

Get out of trouble by creating a new task

getting out of trouble by creating a new task Not sure if this works with Vista

Now just "occasionally" you may end a process, or terminate a program, and then you lose everything! By this I mean you just have a desktop but NO task bar at the bottom of the screen and NO icon's on the desktop.

If this happens then start up the Windows XP Task Manager and select the Applications tab.

Now select the New Task button at the bottom of the window. A new smaller window will appear. In it simply type:

explorer.exe

explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager (or Windows Explorer.) It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By restarting this process the graphical interface for Windows will reappear.

Edited by bicycle bill

getting out of trouble by creating a new task Not sure if this works with Vista

Now select the New Task button at the bottom of the window. A new smaller window will appear. In it simply type:

explorer.exe

Posted Image Now that is an excellent piece of information to know ..

Thank You,

Jenn

Vista usually recovers from explorer crashes on it's own. When it detects a crash, it will kill itself and respawn.

However, you can still use the same method to start the process manually.

you can launch the "Windows XP Task Manager" by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del

yes this will launch task manager on home editions or the menu where you can select task mamager on pro. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to go straight to task manager on XP Pro, Vista

Seeing this posted in the newsletter tickles me, I've been using this on almost a weekly basis because my comp is such a dump. The auto-restart of the explorer.exe doesn't always work, and most of the time on mine it doesn't :P

You can just hit the Windows key + R. Much faster way of accessing the run dialog. (And of course, run explorer.exe as per this workaround.)

Edited by CMB

You can just hit the Windows key + R. Much faster way of accessing the run dialog. (And of course, run explorer.exe as per this workaround.)

Right you are. I realized that after I posted. :geezer: