Sign in to follow this  
Guest jammer

Error In Registry

Guest jammer

:help: I recently updated my HP scanner driver & now get numerous error messages rel to 'reg32.dll', & 'comctl32.dll'....the messages are CONTINUOUS (new msg windows display faster than I can delete them)....error is 'kicked off' whenever I activate the hpbuttonmgr program....I tried HP help--no joy .....can anyone suggest solution? What other info needed?

PS: I dumped the new driver & uninstalled/re-installed the original S/W...again, no joy.....

......Tx..

Guest jammer

Tx for the quick turnaround....I'm using Win 98..basic... I'd rather not go to any 'restores' in registry before understanding why I have the problem & what it is exactly....

PS: when I 'TEST' the scanner (w/HP TEST S/W), the scanner quick scan button IS RECOGNIZED & passes the test!?!

Guest jammer
:( Tx for your help...When I try to install 50comupd.exe, my PC says I have the latest ver installed & doesn' re-install... I'm wondering if I should delete 50comupd & re32g.dll & try re-install? Any thoughts?

I'd rather not go to any 'restores' in registry before understanding why I have the problem

:erm: well...there are a limited amount of registry restore points and the longer you wait the less likely you are going to be able to use it as an option...especially with 98.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;221512

It might not fix it...but then again, it might. :rolleyes:

did you unplug the scanner from the back of the computer when deleting and reinstalling the drivers?

Edited by x5dr

I was hoping it would be something obvious like multiple instances of the same hardware or something.

You have AVG & NAV running. Maybe they are conflicting when you try to install/run the scanner? It is usually not a good idea to have 2 AV orograms running. I would get rid of 1 (NAV) but at the very least I would get rid of 1 while i worked on this problem.

My next best guess is ghosts. I would boot in safe mode and look at all the devices. make sure that rhere are not 2 instances of any hardware there or that there are no yellow marks or that the hardware it says you have is still there.

There are some programs running that you might want to disable from startup.

I'm not sure if this will do anything for your PC but it looks like your smaller ram is in the first slot...it is recommended that the larger one be installed first (especially on older systems).

Your CPU load is a little high...8%...that could be from running both antivirus programs but check for spyware with ADAWARE and SPYBOT...what one doesn't get, the other does.

Scan disk and defrag

Guest jammer

:huh: Tx for all the info...you've provided a number of interesting paths to follow...I'll try them & post results..

PS: I am using two anti-viruses...will removeone...Tx...

Just another thought. Cdave mentioned this but I didn't see an answer. When you installed/uninstalled/reinstalled your scanner drivers, did you turn off all your anti virus first?

Jammer, I'm going to go out on a limb here but I had a very simular thing to happen to me once while trying to install some software. In my case, it didn't work right so I uninstalled it and reinstalled to no avail. It would always revert back to my first attempt with the settings it installed first. The only way I was able to get it installed correctly was to find and comfirm the folder that the program created and resided in and write down it's exact name. Then I rebooted to dos prompt only. I went to C: and typed deltree (name of folder) and enter. After I did this, I was able to reinstall the software correctly with it's new settings. If you decide to try this, Please Make sure you have the right folder. Once you delete it this way, there is no getting it back so if you have the wrong folder, well...........

Say the folder is called HPScanner and it is on drive C. Boot to a dos prompt and type.....

deltree c:\hpscanner and press enter. It will ask.......

delete directory "hpscanner" and all its subdirectories? [yn] Here you have a chance to say YES or NO. make your selection and press enter. Then it will say..........

deleting c:\hpscanner and then return with the dos prompt.

Now you can ctrl, alt, delete, (three finger salute) to reboot your computer.

The folder and all its contents are now gone. You should be able to start over with a fresh install of the software.

Guest jammer

:erm: Simplico: I'm 'fairly confident' I disabled anti-virus prior to re-install

Signman: I'm going to go down the previous list first, including simplico's suggestion to double check my steps....Tx for all your help people....

Guest jammer
:blink: Tried some of the suggestions...no joy: SCANREG reports no errors; tried to find rb0*.cab, comes back nothing found; tried to find comctl32.dll, PC says it's in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEMS....but I only see comctl32.ocx?? Does .dll=.ocx?...