Sign in to follow this  
dezontk

CPU Speed keeps dropping

I have my Q6600 overclocked from 2.4GHz to 3.2GHz, and a cpu core voltage set at 1.39 (shows as 1.36v in windows) in the bios.

I put the FSB to 1423MHz to achieve the 3.2 overclock. However most of the time when I boot into windows or check the bios the multiplier has dropped from x9 to x6 which gives me a speed of 2.1GHz :pullhair:

Sometimes I'm able to get it at 3.2, mostly after fresh bootups with no restart. It seems stable, no problems, or heat issues. I've turned of C1E/SpeedStep/ThermalThrottling and this still persists. It doesnt go back to x9 when using CPU intensive things.

When I set the voltage to auto the CPU gets a real voltage of 1.4v, and I don't like the temps with it. Also the problem persists with auto cpu voltage anyway.....

Any idea? I'm all out :thud:

Cheers

Well I changed the Bus speed from like 355 to 400 and dropped the multiplier from 9 to 8 so it's now 400*8=3.2GHz.... which seems to be the constant speed (according to CPUz), however on here when doing a pit test it says Q6600 3.2 @ 3600.. and also the counter strike source console reports 3.6Ghz too... the post/bios indicates 3.2 as does CPUz.. why are some apps registering it as 3.6?

Being new to something sucks! :hammer:

Could someone verify this is stable to stay at.. and that 400x8 is just as good as / equal to 355x9.. or is increasing the fsb worse for the system?

http://i25.tinypic.com/j59noh.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by dezontk

Thats the Power Save feature.

go to Bios and turn EIST off.

also, I think the overall mhz is better then the FSB. Id rather run 3.6ghz then 3.2

Edited by el kido

Have done but the multiplier still drops. Instead I raised FSB and lowered multiplier to x8 that seems stable and cool but some applications register the CPU speed as 3.6GHz

As I said in my first post they are disabled :P Stepstep (EIST) C1E and everything are all disabled. I done this before attempting to overclock. 8*400 is stable at 3.2GHz but why are some apps registering it as 3.6GHz :S:S:S When I get home I will try a bios update.

Also all power options inside vista are set to always on etc etc. All hardware is set to max power with a minimum of 100% power usage.

Edited by dezontk