Sign in to follow this  
Jacee

Disable Windows Automatic Updates, for now! (2-15- 2007)

Vista's SP1 is not a final release candidate as of yet. Please wait......

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?no_d2=1&...8/02/15/1536256

SP1 is only available to OEM distributors and I have no idea why it's included in this month Windows update. :surrender:

If you're experiencing the problem with "configuring updates" and it doesn't get any further than 3 of 3-0%

after rebooting (then loops again), then this is why.

Manually update Window's 'Critical Security' patches. Update, download and then, manually restart your computer.

It will most likely have a black screen once rebooted, but let it do it's thing! Don't force a shutdown because you're impatient. :nono:

You will eventually see your desktop, then you can grab the next "Critical Security" patch.

If this all sounds like too much work, then don't be surprised if you're caught in a continuous loop.

You can set "Windows update" to manual in services.msc ...

Or go to > Control Panel > Change settings, tick the circle that says "Download the updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them". Click OK

Then when you're notified of updates, look at all of them and choose which updates apply to your system.

Jacee any chance of listing the KB number for the update(s) that is causing this?

Searching around I can find references to a few of them, but not sure which one(s) it is. I would check on my computer but I already have SP1 installed, so don't see the problem update(s) listed.

SP1 is only available to OEM distributors and I have no idea why it's included in this month Windows update.

As I understand it it is not SP1 that is being installed, but the pre-SP1 updates in preparation of SP1 going out through Windows Update next month. I also think you will find that those that are having problems with these updates are running into the SP1 and driver problem that has been mentioned recently.

Just found this,

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsv...ows-update.aspx

Speaking of Windows Vista SP1, the final two of three prerequisite updates needed to install Windows Vista SP1 will also be hitting Windows Update. KB937287 which is the servicing stack update and KB938371 which is a multi-component update are both required before installing Windows Vista SP1.

The KB936330 is SP1 itself,

Under "Copyright"

This document supports a preliminary release of a software product that may be changed substantially prior to final commercial release, and is the confidential and proprietary information of Microsoft Corporation

This looks like 'keywords' to me ....... preliminary release of a software product

From the link you posted, yes. Read it far enough and the one build number they reference is 17042, which if I remember correctly was the first RC available.

Also if you have a MSDN subscription you can get SP1 now, and was released to beta testers on the 9th through Connect,

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=618704

Which is all fine and dandy but it doesn't help those that got caught but this endless loop from those updates. For anyone that did probably best to keep an eye here,

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowFo...2&SiteID=17

to see if/when it gets resolved.

but it doesn't help those that got caught but this endless loop from those updates

That's the reason I posted my 'tip' to disable Windows automatic updates.

Update manually and know what you're updating! :tup:

At least we managed to find the two updates responsible.

That would solve so many problems from bum drivers coming from Windows Update as well.

That's the reason I posted my 'tip' to disable Windows automatic updates.

This is vital to using any Microsoft system and avoiding crashes. I don't want anything installing on my system without me knowing about it first.

Vista's SP1 is not a final release candidate as of yet. Please wait......

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?no_d2=1&...8/02/15/1536256

SP1 is only available to OEM distributors and I have no idea why it's included in this month Windows update. :surrender:

If you're experiencing the problem with "configuring updates" and it doesn't get any further than 3 of 3-0%

after rebooting (then loops again), then this is why.

Manually update Window's 'Critical Security' patches. Update, download and then, manually restart your computer.

It will most likely have a black screen once rebooted, but let it do it's thing! Don't force a shutdown because you're impatient. :nono:

You will eventually see your desktop, then you can grab the next "Critical Security" patch.

If this all sounds like too much work, then don't be surprised if you're caught in a continuous loop.

You can set "Windows update" to manual in services.msc ...

Or go to > Control Panel > Change settings, tick the circle that says "Download the updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them". Click OK

Then when you're notified of updates, look at all of them and choose which updates apply to your system.