Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Mac Air

I have had discussions about the Mac Air with other members of the forum here, some thinking it is a waste of money, or a gimmick............ my wife also thought along the same lines as those folks.

I liked it, the size had me so interested in it that I looked at it online about 1000 times.

Last night I decided to take a ride down to the Apple Store. Unlike most computer stores/vendors that display a screen saver for you to look at, or some bogus video playing in endless loops, Apple sets up about 60 computers of various sizes makes and models for customers to sit down at and use them, yep you get to sit down for as long as you like and use the computer, no pushy sales people annoying you or trying to sell you something you don't need. Instead they are there to answer questions, and they actually have intelligent knowledgeable staff that knows about the products they are selling. That is a rarity in the retail outlets today.

My wife had seen pictures of the Mac Air online, and the adds of it being so thin that it would fit into a manila envelope. She like many people thought it was just a stupid gimmick. As we entered the store, the first table we saw had 8 Mac Airs sitting on it, and she was immediately shocked at the beauty of of it, I just wanted to get my hands on it and take it for spin and check out how well it ran and what was included for software.

We each plopped down in front of one, I expected it to be slow and perhaps have a sluggish feel to it, I also expected it to run extremely hot due to it's extremely thin size. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Needles to say the damn thing was one of the most impressive laptops I have ever seen and had the pleasure of using. We spent almost an hour in the Apple store. It was an impressively fast machine that was so cool to the touch you wouldn't have thought it possible. Every application opened immediately, and performed exceptionally well. The included software in true MAC form was all fully functional and of quality and usability that includes more usable software then most people need, and enough that the rest won't need to get anything else.

Built out of machined aluminum it is both rugged and great looking, a huge touch pad, great keyboard, and speakers (under the keyboard) that sound good, dvi port, usb port, and audio port for adding other devices, wireless access, bluetooth........ The model I tested had the 64 gigabyte solid state hard drive (no spinning parts). To say I was impressed with the Mac Air would be an understatement. It is thin, light, fast, quite, cool to the touch, meaning you could actually do something like use it on your lap :P Imagine that, what a concept use a laptop on your lap without feeling like someone placed a hot skillet in your lap.

The only negative I found was a lack of a CD/DVD drive. I know I could live without it.

This was perhaps the most impressive laptop I have had the pleasure of using.

I liked it so much I will be selling my current laptop and will be replacing it with a Mac Air in the near future.

My wife? Well I had a hard time getting her to leave it alone so we could do a little shopping in some other stores.

Could be two Mac Airs in my house before the summer is over.

No I didn't check it out, and to be honest I wouldn't expect the 4200 rpm drive to respond anywhere near the one with the solid state drive.

I can afford one, I just can't imagine using a computer without a CD drive. I can't even use one from a different computer because the feature is for Windows and Apple desktops.

Plus OS X winds me up.

The Remote Disc feature would certainally come in handy: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307317

But then again, as tito points out, it's designed for Windows or Macs. This, I'm sure will be incorporated into the Linux OS's as well, soon enough.

If it were me personnally and I was gonna put down $3 grand on a lappy, I'd splurge the extra hundred and get their Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive

I look forward to all of our hard drives going to the solid state format in the future. I'm not surprised to see Apple moving it forward. :tup:

How's the screen look Bruce? At only 13.3 inches it seems a bit small, but with the wide sceen format it probably isn't as noticeable. Of course I haven't sat in front of one myself, so thought I'd ask ya.

:)Y

What were your experiences with it Brandon?

Mine were nothing like the ones you posted.

I have no experiences with it, I only have sites that agree with my viewpoint. :P

The only laptop I am looking forward to is the eeePC, if I even get a laptop. I hope they use the new Via chips.

new via chips?

i love there chipsets, i went ahead and bought a 478 mobo with via p4m900..... , very nice board, pci express, raid, onboard via chrome, uses shared mem up to 256 mb :)

brandon, test it out for your self, monday will be testing it :tup:

I avoid the Apple store at the mall near my home. There's a person that works there that creeps me out.

Plus, I'd much rather use a Macbook, or Macbook Pro.

The Remote Disc feature would certainally come in handy: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307317

But then again, as tito points out, it's designed for Windows or Macs. This, I'm sure will be incorporated into the Linux OS's as well, soon enough.

If it were me personnally and I was gonna put down $3 grand on a lappy, I'd splurge the extra hundred and get their Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive

I look forward to all of our hard drives going to the solid state format in the future. I'm not surprised to see Apple moving it forward. :tup:

How's the screen look Bruce? At only 13.3 inches it seems a bit small, but with the wide sceen format it probably isn't as noticeable. Of course I haven't sat in front of one myself, so thought I'd ask ya.

It looks great, for some reason it looks much larger then it is. It could be because everything is so thin and small that the screen real estate appears larger then it is. Not sure of the reason, but I do know the whole thing was impressive.

It won't be incorporated into Linux. Apple go out of their way to avoid supporting Linux.

EG: Encrypting the new iPods. Selling phones you can't activate without Windows or OSX.

It won't be incorporated into Linux. Apple go out of their way to avoid supporting Linux.

EG: Encrypting the new iPods. Selling phones you can't activate without Windows or OSX.

I understand your point tito, but it is still intriguing and admirable the way the open souce community is able to find "work-arounds" as well as similar if not better applications to do many of the same things. I have faith that "remote Disc" will be able to work from a Linux box.

Maybe I'm just being naive. :shrug:

Ya there is this amazing technology called network file sharing :rofl3:

You can share any drive on a computer including optical drives. This great new technology is now about......................20 years old :P

It ain't rocket science. Apple just made an application that will do it automagically for the folks who can't manage to do such things.

It isn't difficult, in fact I could share/give others access to an optical drive not only on my lan, but could make it available on the internet.

The surprising thing to me is that people think it is something new, or that it can't be done without some third party application.

My educated guess would be that they are simply using iSCI.

Edited by Bruce

We just got one up on display at my Best Buy.

I had to check it out while on the clock, too. Man, it was nice.

Ya there is this amazing technology called network file sharing :rofl3:

You can share any drive on a computer including optical drives. This great new technology is now about......................20 years old :P

It ain't rocket science. Apple just made an application that will do it automagically for the folks who can't manage to do such things.

It isn't difficult, in fact I could share/give others access to an optical drive not only on my lan, but could make it available on the internet.

The surprising thing to me is that people think it is something new, or that it can't be done without some third party application.

My educated guess would be that they are simply using iSCI.

Obviously, I believe OSX support NFS? That would be easy.

But this is a company that do not choose to support my computers, which is why I personally don't buy from them.