Sign in to follow this  
mjed0

Bought 4 used HD's, turned out passworded, any ideas?

I just bought 4 used laptop HD's and can't seem to get them up and running due to a password issue. Ive seen bios passwords in the past as well as the windows ones, but this one looks entirely different and promps me almost immediatly after powering up. Here is its prompt message.......

DELL COMPUTER CORPORATION

www.dell.com

Hard-disk #44K44414933-D35B, the system Primary HDD, is

protected by a password authentication system. You cannot

access data on this hard drive without the correct password.

Please type in the hard-drive password

and press <Enter>.

.....the screen background is white white the texted areas have a light blue background. Does anyone have any ideas how this might be bypassed or any other solutions?

For what its worth these were bought at a boot sale and I'll likely never see the guy again :mrsgreen:

Cheers,

Dan

you bought 4 used harddrives do they all have same windows cd and product key

as for password for harddrive myself i never heard of that

cant help you with password against terms of service

password for operating system is that what you mean

also did you mean you bought 4 used laptops

Edited by mme

Joe...I never heard of the term "zero out" so I'll have to look that up in a google.

mme....I have no idea what O.S. either of them has or if they have the same product key. Its not a Windows password as this prompts well before Wndows even starts to load. And yes, I purchased these HD's used although it appears I may never be able to use them unless I find a way to access them.

zero out= low level format.

what brand name is on the drive?

Hi Joe,

2 Toshiba's, 1 Hitachi and 1 IBM Travelstar. I would definatly be interested in that low level format, however I don,t how how this can be done because the password prompt comes up before I can get it to read anything, but I'll sure try anything.

Thanks

Thanks mme, I'll definatly DL one if not both. I'm running out of time for today but I'll give them a go tomorrow. Will post how I make out.

Thanks alot for that!

I was wondering how long it might take, in any event it'll be done on a spare machine so time wont be that much of an issue to me, it will just be nice if it rescues the HD's. But I shall keep it in mind. Thanks.

used kill disk on a 120 gig drive...I think it took about 8hrs

that long

i used boot and nuke on a 40 gig drive took about hour

then used it on a 10 gig was about the same

guess the larger the the drive the more time it takes

OK, not good news I'm afraid. :pullhair: I'm trying Boot and Nuke and still no luck. The prompt for the password interrupts just as the CD starts spinning, then all I see is this....

DELL COMPUTER CORPORATION

www.dell.com

Hard-disk #44K44414933-D35B, the system Primary HDD, is

protected by a password authentication system. You cannot

access data on this hard drive without the correct password.

Please type in the hard-drive password

and press <Enter>.

I even decided to make sure the CD was first boot priority in Bios but the prompt comes just before you can even access the BIOS at the very first startup. I hit F2 for BIOS, its says "entering startup", freezes there for a moment and the dreaded password prompt takes over and I can go no further. I If only this prompt were a tad later and the Boot and Nuke had time to initiate, then I think it would work.

If anyone has any other ideas I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks for the suggestions so far :tup:

I think you bought 4 paperweights. The password is in the drives firmware and cannot be removed. no amount of formatting will wipe it.

If you can get your money back I would.

I think you bought 4 paperweights. The password is in the drives firmware and cannot be removed. no amount of formatting will wipe it.

If you can get your money back I would.

Unfortunate, but I think you're right. I guess I'll have to take it on the chin and move on. Thanks anyway :tup:

Well....try this....

"Password" is for the system and "admin" is for the disk. This is supposed to be the default according to these threads.....from a different forum...

Read Patty's post here. Scroll down..

yeah, seems those drives were encrypted.

you'll need to install them as secondary drives and boot to your primary os. you should be able to kill them that way.

Well....try this....

"Password" is for the system and "admin" is for the disk. This is supposed to be the default according to these threads.....from a different forum...

Read Patty's post here. Scroll down..

I was kinda getting excited there for a second, but then when I read Patty's fix for the problem. Turns out the default password is in fact "password" which is what I already went out on a limb and tried yesterday, to no avail, I guess someone changed it. Thanks anyway :tup:

Badbinary: Your idea sounds good in theory, but I'm not sure how to run the HD as a slave given that this is a laptop. I've run slave drives on the desktop but not sure how or IF its even possible with a laptop, if there is a method and someone could pass it on I would be grateful.

you can get an external enclosure and plug it in usb, or put them in a desktop, but that's pretty much the only way you're going to get around the issue without contacting the seller and getting the password.

you can get an external enclosure and plug it in usb, or put them in a desktop, but that's pretty much the only way you're going to get around the issue without contacting the seller and getting the password.

Well, I had no idea these things even existed. I just checked Ebay and these's tons of them. I must live a very sheltered life!...lol. Anyway, I'll round one up, even if it doesnt solve this immediate problem, it'll definatly come in handy at some other point in time. They seem to be cheap enough.

Badbinary, mucho thanks :b33r: