Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

white noise and pink elephants

In his hour or so keynote presentation yesterday, Jobs unveiled a host of goodies for consumers.

Pound for pound, it was more substance than was offered during several days of last week’s Consumer Electronics Show, which was dominated by white noise and pink elephants.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22672457/

The MacBookAir, the thinnest notebook ever made, 3/4 of an inch at it's thickest point, and at it thinnest. 0.16 of an inch :thud:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/22670232#22670232

When it comes to creating new products that change the industry, no one, and I mean no one does it better then Apple.

All the rest are just wannabes

If you had a look at some of the products show at CES, you would fall out of your chair laughing, useless junk, and piles of vaporware abound.

Edited by Bruce

When it comes to making commercially viable products for consumers, no one does it better than the multitude of PC manufacturers.

I think the MacBook air is slick, and Apple now allows you to have the battery replaced for the small fee of shipping & handling, plus $129 for the actual replacement.

I don't see where it fits in though. It's trying to compete in too many areas at once. It's trying to be as light as an ultra-portable, but falls short, it's trying to have the power of a desktop replacement, again, where it falls short, and it's priced like a high end laptop.

Of course, you do pay for the form factor...

Commercially viable? :lol:

With Apple quadrupling it's computer sales in the past 1 1/2 years going from a 1.5% to 2% market share to more then 8% market share placing them as the number 3 seller of computers in the United States.... I would say their computers, designs and products are in fact more commercially viable. So much so that they are taking market share from the stuck in the last century PC vendors.

The MacWorld show and it's products are far more commercially viable then the junk and garbage at CES. That is the point of the post.

If you won't take the time to understand the topic and the utter garbage that was at CES then I will leave you with your one track mind, and suggest you have a look at my signature ;)

I do understand the topic, and look at their marketshare when they were on the PowerPC platform. ;)

And right now, I don't have a job, so my salary depends on me getting hired, not my technical prowess. :P

I've never been to a MacWorld show, nor CES, so I can't comment on either of the shows. I was just looking at the Macbook Air from a subjective standpoint. While I welcome it, because I like to see Microsoft getting it socked to them, it's just underwhelming. Now, if they had something to compete with the Eee PC, then we're talking, but, that is not to be.

However, I see your point, now that I have looked at some of the stuff they have shown at CES.

Edited by brandon

Anyone can pay money for a booth at the CES show. It's designed so that manufacturers can show their products to the people they want to sell. I can go show my Power Supply jumper if I want to pay the money.

:)

The two things are not really comparable. There are other companies that have their own shows similar to the MacWorld show.

i'm sorry, i still don't see any apple/mac products out there i'd seek out the purchase of, other than maybe an ipod. nearly everything they offer can be had for a much lower price elsewhere. that is aside from their os, of course.

Edited by badbinary

i'm sorry, i still don't see any apple/mac products out there i'd seek out the purchase of, other than maybe an ipod. nearly everything they offer can be had for a much lower price elsewhere. that is aside from their os, of course.

Find me a laptop that thin, with a 14 inch screen and full size keyboard elsewhere, sporting a dual core processor. ;)

0.16 inches at it's thinnest point.

Edited by Bruce

i'll sacrifice, oh, half an inch more and get an xps with a faster processor, faster hard drive (with more capacity), more memory, and an optical drive for 500 bucks less.

seriously, half an inch more. that's it. you want to lose that much performance and versatility for half an inch? that's insane, and anyone who buys one with the other options available that are worlds better is just plain dumb, imho.

Edited by badbinary

It isn't dumb for a person who likes small and light, and doesn't want to use windows.

There are people who simply think using windows is dumb.

I personally prefer small. My laptop has a 14" widescreen, so it is a pretty small machine.

If that MacAir had been available when I bought this laptop, I would have considered the Mac.

I didn't buy this machine because it was cheapest core duo I could buy, because there certainly were cheaper laptops. None that caught my attention.

I bought it because I liked it, I liked the features it had, and an important thing to me, I liked the way it looked, I liked the way the keyboard and touchpad felt and operated........

As far as a Dell goes, nope not for me.

I don't like em, so I wouldn't buy one.

Funny how that stuff works isn't it :P

I don't see anything in that list that ven comes close to how thin the Mac is. In fact the Dell is many, many times thicker.

I also don't see anything so striking in any of them to change my mind.

Especially considering they are all in the same price range.

Well I might get one. :lol:

The wife.............will love it. :banana2:

Don't tell her what it costs. :shifty:

Well OK, you can tell her, because she usually doesn't care because she gets my hand me downs. :P She loves my hand me downs :lol:

mac is on the rite track, there use in technoligy and innovation is incredible, that laptop is a performer, no hard disk, it uses flash memory/ramdisk, this means more battery life and performance, something worth buying, its just worth it.

if you have the money you would buy it, if your struggling to pay the bills then yes it would be dumb to buy it, this isnt what its all about, someone mentioned similar products are made, they are made after apple makes them! with that said just think about it once more :lol:

now people will talk crap about apple but as soon as bill released vista everyone shot to the stores and bought there license to use crap :rofl2:

the ssd disk isn't standard, as you make it sound. also, ssd has been available for quite a while on other laptops, apple did no innovation here, they just took features away, used slower components, and made it thinner. i'm sorry, i don't care if you're rich or poor, if you buy a product simply because it is thinner than other thin notebooks, given what you must give up, then you have issues. :lol:

Edited by badbinary

bb believe in what you wish, wile your trapped using your ten pound xps playing games on it many of us will be productive, doing useful things :lol:

this is what amd needs to see, there chipsets in mobile devices will pull them from the crap they are sinking in!

the xps weighs less than a pound more. the toshiba portege weights over a half pound less than the air.

my opinion is based upon facts, yours is based upon a pretty little package.

I can't really think of any reason having it so thin would be a benefit. If you want small you wouldn't have a 14" screen.

Yeah, it's a nice progression, one day all laptops will be much thinner, but scrapping the CD drive is jumping the gun. You need another full size computer or laptop to install software on it.

It is like 40 years ago saying "We've invented a flat screen TV. It's really thin, look"

"WOW! How did you fit the CRT in there?"

"Well... we didn't."

Why do you need another laptop or full size computer to install software on it? :lol:

I guess you have never heard of portable DVD drives :P

But then I cant remeber the last time I actually installed software from a CD can you tito? ;)

Edited by Bruce

The only misinformed people are the ones who don't read.

They would be the ones who listen to rumors rather then check what the systems specifications are. It comes standard wiath an 80 gig hard drive.

The 64 gig ram disk is an option.