Sign in to follow this  
Viking

InfoWorld launches drive to save XP.

InfoWorld launches drive to save Windows XP

Sign the petition at www.SaveXP.com today

The clock is ticking for Windows XP, the tried-and-true Microsoft operating system that millions of businesses and individuals depend on. Soon, the only Windows option will be Vista, an operating system that businesses as well as individuals have disliked and often avoided. The lackluster changes to Vista, coupled with the high costs of switching tens of millions of computers to it, have convinced InfoWorld that XP should not be retired as planned on June 30.

Full article: http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/01/14/...xp-drive_1.html

Direct link to petition.

The "Save Windows XP" page: http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/

If you want to save XP, use ReactOS: reactos.org

Test it, report bugs, and find developers. It's the best thing you can do to "save" XP.

One man's trash is another man's refuse Bruce. And one man's refuse turned out to be another man's Ben Stiller...

I say throw it out.

those lazy IT departments :lol:

i guess that means back to school, if not and there is no real use in vista your just asking too much from ms!

the fact ms will make billions is inevitable, not to mention there next os afterwards possibly containing a new kernel, this means ten thousand reboots and trying to find drivers lols.

I won't be signing any petition....I'm perfectly happy with Vista (both OS's).

It's unfortunate that some people just won't take the time to learn what it takes to work with Vista. I'm including programmers and developers along with home and business users.

Just because 'support' ends for one OS, doesn't mean that people can't adapt to another.... even Linux, if necessary. :tup:

jacee, was there much of a learning cure migrating to vista?

i used it in its R stages, i noticed alot of the same features, things were in different locations, finding them was my learning curve :)

how does it change things for you, as far as the software like hjt and others?

jacee, was there much of a learning cure migrating to vista?

i used it in its R stages, i noticed alot of the same features, things were in different locations, finding them was my learning curve :)

how does it change things for you, as far as the software like hjt and others?

No 'learning curve' other than to study, meaning to look up all you want to know. It's all on Google for the taking.

HJT works just fine with Vista :tup:

You have to bear in mind that 16bit software is not going to work with Vista.

Some applications will work quite well if you right click, choose 'properties' , put a tick in the box that says "run in compatibility mode" WindowsXP (Service pack2)

It's not the learning curve that bothers me.

It's the way that every now and again I have to wait about 25 seconds to delete a 100kb file.

Every time there is an update, popups harass me to reboot, as if I didn't actually turn the computer on to do something. They take absolutely ages to install, then another age to configure during shutdown, then they configure again as you start up!

UAC is annoying, it asks me to do it for things that don't even use a administrative function, and the window often pops up behind the window you are using, so you have to navigate to the other window, then the screen goes dark and it plays a noise :s

It's just so user unfriendly I can't stand it. I got it to game, I thought I'd just boot into it to game then reboot back to Linux. I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth my time, let alone my money.

Oh, did I mention it is hideous and there isn't much you can change about it?

tito, you can change as much as you want to, if you take the time to learn about this OS ;)

I'd like to change the part where I get milked like a cash cow if I actually want to do something useful with my computer.

tito, you can change as much as you want to, if you take the time to learn about this OS ;)

As far as appearance goes, the only thing I want to change is the various font sizes. I would like to have full control over my fonts, not just a lame change DPI setting. In other operating systems I have different font sizes for my menus, different ones for my file browser (explorer for windows folks), a different setting for my desktop fonts, and various sizes in my web browser, I also like to change the size of fonts in the taskbar, and top of a window. I find this impossible to do in any version of windows. How can I do this in Vista?

Like this.

Posted Image

I'd like to legally remove the Digital Restrictions management (DRM).

While I think UAC is a good thing, I would like to change the number of prompts it gives without disabling UAC.

Finally I would like to legally remove the activation process.

I know a bit about the OS, but apparently not enough.

How can I change those things Jacee?

Edited by Bruce

Changing font styles is easy. Not what I was looking for.

The things I mentioned can't be done.

I only mentioned the fonts because it is always the first thing I do when setting up a PC, nothing enhances the appearance and readability of a computer screen more then the ability to have complete control over fonts sizes in various applications, menus........

The other things simply can't be done "legally".

OK.

The login manager makes me want to tear my eyes from their sockets. Where is the option to change this?

The whole idea of the start menu doesn't appeal to me either. I'd like to change

1) The layout of the bottom panel, I'd like my recycle bin on it and functioning

2) The start menu icon

3) The structure of the unintuitive menu itself (For example, the bright red button should turn my computer off, not put it on standby)

That's just a start.

How can I do this?

Use the OS of your choice..... or help to make "Windows" better by subscribing to Technet http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...?wt.svl=leftnav

Report flaws and suggest how you would improve on applications.

Think I'll move on to the next booth and see if this little WoW suites my needs B)

Posted Image

You guys who want to complain are on your own :lol:

Since you only want the car, can I have the woman in the passenger seat?

That confused me until I remembered you lot drive on the other side :rolleyes:

We don't drive on the other side, we drive on the correct side. I am honestly surprised that the UK doesn't have the highest accident rate in the world, since you lot drive on the wrong side of the road. :rolleyes: