Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simon9one

A little problem.....

Hi everyone,

I'm having a little PC problem here...namely, my PSU just started shooting out smoke, and everything shut down.

So my main question is, what are the chances that it took the motherboard or something else with it? Because that would likely drive me mad, and turn me into a serial killer. :pullhair:

Thanks in advance for the help (I'll thank you again later too). :mrgreen:

Ah powersuply blew out, happened to me and I was crying thinking everyting was fryed

replaced the power suply and nothing was harmed

you just need to have faith

a PSU can take the motherboard and other's with it. But chances are all you need do is replace the PSU. i also had a PSU blow, turned on my rig and heard a high pitch noise then smoke. new power supply was all that was needed. good luck and keep us posted

OK, thanks for the reassuring words. :mrgreen:

Any recommendations on a new PSU (at least 700W)?

I'm currently broke, so it will need to be cheap (<$150 if possible). I also would prefer modular cables, they make wire management 1000X easier.

Modular cables are great but some may not be very flexible.

One of my pcs uses a 500 Ultra (which is not a top brand psu) and it is only now after 2 years that the cables have developed any degree of flexibility.

Modular PSUs aren't as efficient as non-modular PSUs. I'd take the gain in efficiency, and the lower power consumption that comes with increased efficiency over slghtly better cable management any day.

But wouldn't less cables increase cooling efficiency? :mrgreen:

I'll gladly settle for a non-modular one though, it isn't that important.

Zip ties are your friend. And the PSU would have to work harder to get the same amount of power delivered, which produces more heat in the PSU's case, and reduces its life.

Plus, modular PSUs are generally more expensive than standard PSUs.