Sign in to follow this  
jojesa

Radeon X1800XT vs Radeon HD HD 3870 -

A friend asked me to replace his Ati Radeon X1800XT for a Radeon HD 3870.

Should I be concerned about power usage? :huh:

Edited by jojesa

just don't ask him to expect much of a performance increase. he may want to wait for the 3870x2 or get 2 3870's in crossfire. however, it will use less power and run much cooler.

Edited by badbinary

Great info guys

My friend plays BF2142 @ 1280x1024 Max quality and gets an average of 38 fps.

He wanted to get around 15 more fps @ the display native resolution (1680x1050)

I don't think he will get there though... :(

At idle they have similar power consumption.

But that changes at load...more than 50 watts.

WoW big difference against the 2900 XT....around 100 watts with equal performance.

Thanks

Edited by jojesa

My PSU just blew out after upgrading from an X1800 XT to an HD 3870. Looking at those graphs though, it was probably on it's way out already.

38FPS at 1280/1024 with a X1800XT does not sound right. i use to run battlefield 2 and battlefield 2142. with the 1680/1050 target line forcing the res with a X1800XL. and i would be getting way more FPS then that. even with 6X AAand 16X AF.. a X1800XT is more then enough for battlefield 2142. even with Vsync. a upgrade is not a bad idea. although, he might want to make sure hes getting his max performance with what hes currently running. my XL before was almost running at XT speeds. i was maybe averaging 50-60 FPS. and rarley seeing a minimum of 35-or 40. this was tested with fraps. actually 38FPS at 1280/1024 is more like 6800 ultra performance. IMO. although i may be wrong. only stating what my performance was with my previous card.

just don't ask him to expect much of a performance increase. he may want to wait for the 3870x2 or get 2 3870's in crossfire. however, it will use less power and run much cooler.

What are you smoking BB? :lol:

The 3870 will destroy the X1800 in pretty much everything, even when the 3870's weakness is exploited.

My PSU just blew out after upgrading from an X1800 XT to an HD 3870. Looking at those graphs though, it was probably on it's way out already.

Where have you been?