Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Vista SP 1

So when is it actually due? Wev'e already past the second half of 2007!

Will this be an automatic update to those of us that have already Vista? Like they did with XP?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Steve,

Looks good accept for one thing that I believe may be a typo, but is one that had me concerned.

I believe number 4 should read drive encryption not driver encryption.

I say it had me concerned because enhanced driver encryption to me would mean more DRM directly tied to drivers. Certainly not something that Vista needs more of.

I hope I am correct and it was only a typo on your part.

Hey Ocean.

Only Microsoft knows the answer to that but even with their past track record I think were close.

Bruce, thanks for the heads up. You're right it should be "drive". We'll get it changed.

I think you could further add to the article by adding some charts & graphs & the like detailing battery life of the laptop during use with SP1, and without.

Like seeing how long it can play a movie, how lone it can last idle, stuff like that.

It would be a more interesting way than just saying "Battery life improved".

Hey Ocean.

Only Microsoft knows the answer to that but even with their past track record I think were close.

Bruce, thanks for the heads up. You're right it should be "drive". We'll get it changed.

Yea, no doubt about that sho! Thanks!

I've been running the SP1 Beta for weeks and its certainly been an improvement

and i doubt the release will be much different . but as Sho said only MS knows for sure when we'll get it

Hopefully they don't follow the same release schedule they did with Vista. Remove key features, delay it by years, and then call it new & improved. :lol::P

You like my sig Flew? It's the source code to a C++ program.

Edited by brandon

I've been running the SP1 Beta for weeks and its certainly been an improvement

and i doubt the release will be much different . but as Sho said only MS knows for sure when we'll get it

I don't think that the "more control of defragmentation" has made it in yet. I see no difference on my laptop.

I don't think that the "more control of defragmentation" has made it in yet. I see no difference on my laptop.

the ability to select partitions to defragment is in my version of SP1 ...... dont think i had that option before

the ability to select partitions to defragment is in my version of SP1 ...... dont think i had that option before

Great! Glad to hear that Flew! :tup:

Yep, just noticed that. I still wish that they would allow you to analyze the drive as well, rather than having to defragment

I bought a Vista laptop in mid-December and have had trouble with it repeatedly shutting down unexpectedly. I can be working on something when my cursor freezes in place and the screen goes blank. The only way I can recover is to force a shutdown (hold the power key until the laptop shuts off). When I reboot I get a message that I Windows did not close properly. I reboot in normal mode and all is okay until the next time. Do you think SP1 would solve this issue or might it be a hardware problem?

Bruce

The SP1 RC1 is out but I don't hear anyone saying that it is worth downloading?

I've used computers since 1989 (Leading Edge using Lotus 1-2-3) and have never had such problems as I do with Vista.

I consider vista a failure. Aside from the RAM it requires and dissalows you to use. For instance you can't use more than 3 gigs of your 4 gigs of Ram etc...

My new problem is vista willnot recognize my wireless network adapter... man the problems.

I bought a Vista laptop in mid-December and have had trouble with it repeatedly shutting down unexpectedly. I can be working on something when my cursor freezes in place and the screen goes blank. The only way I can recover is to force a shutdown (hold the power key until the laptop shuts off). When I reboot I get a message that I Windows did not close properly. I reboot in normal mode and all is okay until the next time. Do you think SP1 would solve this issue or might it be a hardware problem?

Bruce

Hi Bruce! Did you ever figure out a solution to this problem? I have the same issue- I "ctrl-alt-del" to get the task manager if I haven't been quick enough to open a couple of items so that it shows up only on the bottom of the screen. Webroot Spy Sweeper was recommended-didn't work. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. MDG and Microsoft as well as our local computer store can't figure it out. Thanks, Julie.