Sign in to follow this  
Paultx

TotalCopy

Oldie and goldie TotalCopy does exactly this: copy or move files faster than Windows. You can even set its speed using a slide bar and pause the copying or moving process. NB: Windows versions till XP only.

Try it with huge media files and between network drives. You'll be suprised!

How does it work? And is there any chance that it can f up the data you are copying?

If you are using it on a network drive does it still only have to be installed on your client machine? Does it make putting data on AND taking data from a network drive faster?

How does it work? And is there any chance that it can f up the data you are copying?

If you are using it on a network drive does it still only have to be installed on your client machine? Does it make putting data on AND taking data from a network drive faster?

It works like Windows copy or move using the context menu. You select the source objects (files or folders) and drag them pressing the second mouse button to the destination location. There you release the mouse button to see the context menu. Then you choose Total Copy Here or Total Move Here.

I use it since its first version and never had file corruption problems.

On a network, you need to install it only on your client machine, where are the resources the app uses to do its thing.

Yep, it copies/moves files over a network faster than Windows alone does.

Edited by Paultx

I tried this for the first time today, and failed miserably, vista ultimate 64bit AND xp pro, saw no options to transfer or anything after the install, I could of done with it as well to move files to\from a thumb drive, but when I right clicked on them there was no such option. :mrsgreen:

I tried this for the first time today, and failed miserably, vista ultimate 64bit AND xp pro, saw no options to transfer or anything after the install, I could of done with it as well to move files to\from a thumb drive, but when I right clicked on them there was no such option. :mrsgreen:

If you read my first post in this thread, you'll see I wrote: NB: Windows versions till XP only.

Maybe you should try TeraCopy instead?

Yes I did read that, my comment above was more as confirmation it doesn't work in vista, sorry I didn't make that clearer (it was late when I posted lol), but the main reference was toward it didn't give me any such options in xp pro, that was the main point I was trying to say above.

There are several situations that require you to pause or resume a file copy operation, but Windows doesn’t come with a built-in feature to accomplish this. Instead, you can try out Total Copy, a little utility designed to solve this shortcoming that was apparently overlooked even in the development of Windows 7.

Total Copy is awesome just for achieving these two little operations, namely pausing and resuming file copies. Unfortunately, it works only on Windows ME and XP, so Windows7/8/10 users cannot benefit from it....some other third party software are just beter than total copy i.e, G.S Richcopy 360. Enterprice/ Terracopy...and it works in all window.