Sign in to follow this  
bjt

ashampoo photo commander 4

hi all,

ive installed the above program and have upgraded to version 5.

apc 4 was a trial program and i had to purchase the upgrade to keep the program running.

i keep getting a warning that apc 4 has expired, which is a pain, so decided to uninstal it but,

when i go into add/remove program's i get an error message that says: could not open INSTALL. LOG file.

ive tried contacting ashampoo, but they dont respond. typical!

any suggestions?

cheers,

bjt.

Problem: Ashampoo software cannot be uninstalled.

Solution: Get Ashampoo Uninstaller Suite.

Let's face it, programmers don't want you to remove their programs. Also, writing a good uninstaller is a lot of work that doesn't add to the functionality of an application, so most programmers don't bother.

:wacko::thud:

Problem: Ashampoo software cannot be uninstalled.

Solution: Get Ashampoo Uninstaller Suite.

:wacko::thud:

thanks guys,

installed the uninstaller program. guess what?

could not open INSTALL.LOG file!

this is weird, i guess i will have to try to uninstall photo commander 5 to see if that will remove 4.

i'll let you know.

thanks anyway,

bjt.

thanks guys,

installed the uninstaller program. guess what?

could not open INSTALL.LOG file!

this is weird, i guess i will have to try to uninstall photo commander 5 to see if that will remove 4.

i'll let you know.

thanks anyway,

bjt.

same response!

have tried contacting ashampoo again but says will take up to 48hrs to respond.

bjt.

Did you try uninstalling in Safe Mode?

sorry to be a bit vague hulk, but when you say 'safe mode',

do you meen whilst using ashampoo uninstaller?

cheers,

bjt.

Uninstall version 5, then reinstall version 4 and uninstall it. Then just do a clean install of version 5

thanks for that but,

if you see post no.5 i have exactly the same problem.

this really is frustrating. i'll come back and let you know what ashampoo's response was, if they bother to get back to me.

bjt.

Hi BJT,

If you plan to use Ashampoo Uninstaller, you will necessarily have had to have Ashampoo Uninstaller active on your machine "prior" to the original installation of the target application that you now wish to uninstall.

That is because Ashampoo Uninstaller works through the principle of creating a before and after snapshot of all the changes made during the installation of the application you now wish to uninstall.

Since you apparently did not have Ashampoo Uninstaller on your machine before installing your ashampoo photo commander 4 trial version, the Ashampoo Uninstaller will not be able to open the "Uninstall Log" because no Uninstall Log was created in the first place.

You "might" be able to:

-- Install Ashampoo Uninstaller now....

--Then re-install ashampoo photo commander 4, during which procedure an Uninstall Log will be created.

--Then use Ashampoo Uninstaller to remove the ashamoo photo commander 4.

This suggested "possible" course of action is not guaranteed to accomplish an absolutely "clean" uninstall of Ashampoo photo commander 4, because the "before/after" snapshots are predicated on "changes" to the system. Since Ashampoo photo commander 4 is already embedded in your system "some" of the registry and system installation will not be seen as "changes".

Thus you may leave some orphaned files behind.

But you may get the main bulk of the application uninstalled.

Hope I haven't been to "circular" in my description above.

Please let us know if this works for you, and/or what ultimate solution you eventually discover.

Doug

Hi BJT,

If you plan to use Ashampoo Uninstaller, you will necessarily have had to have Ashampoo Uninstaller active on your machine "prior" to the original installation of the target application that you now wish to uninstall.

That is because Ashampoo Uninstaller works through the principle of creating a before and after snapshot of all the changes made during the installation of the application you now wish to uninstall.

Since you apparently did not have Ashampoo Uninstaller on your machine before installing your ashampoo photo commander 4 trial version, the Ashampoo Uninstaller will not be able to open the "Uninstall Log" because no Uninstall Log was created in the first place.

You "might" be able to:

-- Install Ashampoo Uninstaller now....

--Then re-install ashampoo photo commander 4, during which procedure an Uninstall Log will be created.

--Then use Ashampoo Uninstaller to remove the ashamoo photo commander 4.

This suggested "possible" course of action is not guaranteed to accomplish an absolutely "clean" uninstall of Ashampoo photo commander 4, because the "before/after" snapshots are predicated on "changes" to the system. Since Ashampoo photo commander 4 is already embedded in your system "some" of the registry and system installation will not be seen as "changes".

Thus you may leave some orphaned files behind.

But you may get the main bulk of the application uninstalled.

Hope I haven't been to "circular" in my description above.

Please let us know if this works for you, and/or what ultimate solution you eventually discover.

Doug

thanks doug,

i understand completely where your coming from.

i'll try reinstalling ashampoo photo commander 4 whilst im waiting for a response from ashampoo.

bjt.

thanks doug,

i understand completely where your coming from.

i'll try reinstalling ashampoo photo commander 4 whilst im waiting for a response from ashampoo.

bjt.

mmm, i was quietly confident that your suggestion would work, but, nope, still wont open the log. file.

ive even registered the product with a key that is sent to ones email address.

there is an uninstall item within ashampoo photo commander 4, but that doesn't work either.

oh well, back to the drawing board.

bjt.

Edited by bjt

Hi BJT,

Bummer!

Let me confirm for my own thinking here.

You "have installed" ashampoo uninstaller utility.

You've tried reinstalling Ashampoo commander photo 4.

Followed by attempting (unsucessfully) to uninstall it using ashampoo uninstaller utility.

if the above is correct, consider the following.

Your windows operating system plays a part in installing application software.

Sometimes Windows Installer 3.1 fails in its job, or the machine owner has an older version of Windows Installer.

If you have an older version of Windows Installer, consider updating to Windows Installer 3.1

Next, consider the use of Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Be careful when you use this tool..... Follow all the cautions and procedures posted by MS in the link.

After using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove any/all traces of the installation files and logs related to Ashampoo Photo Commander 4, you will still have Ashampoo Photo Commander 4 as an installed application, but Windows will no longer have any record of it being installed.

Therefore, you can "re-install" it (carefully selecting to install it in the very same folder location as your present installation)

Next:

Ashampoo Uninstall Utility or even Windows - Control Panel - Add/Remove ..... may now have a better chance to uninstall the utility.

Best Regards

Hi BJT,

Bummer!

Let me confirm for my own thinking here.

You "have installed" ashampoo uninstaller utility.

You've tried reinstalling Ashampoo commander photo 4.

Followed by attempting (unsucessfully) to uninstall it using ashampoo uninstaller utility.

if the above is correct, consider the following.

Your windows operating system plays a part in installing application software.

Sometimes Windows Installer 3.1 fails in its job, or the machine owner has an older version of Windows Installer.

If you have an older version of Windows Installer, consider updating to Windows Installer 3.1

Next, consider the use of Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Be careful when you use this tool..... Follow all the cautions and procedures posted by MS in the link.

After using Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove any/all traces of the installation files and logs related to Ashampoo Photo Commander 4, you will still have Ashampoo Photo Commander 4 as an installed application, but Windows will no longer have any record of it being installed.

Therefore, you can "re-install" it (carefully selecting to install it in the very same folder location as your present installation)

Next:

Ashampoo Uninstall Utility or even Windows - Control Panel - Add/Remove ..... may now have a better chance to uninstall the utility.

Best Regards

your thinking is correct!

so i did a search for windows installer and it only came up with 2 programs,

1st windows installer cleanup...2nd interop.windowsinstaller.dll.........

both these were in my 'c' drive and also in my 'f' drive.

when i open up the installer cleanup file, it shows the following 3 items.........msicuu....... MsiZap........and a readme file.

i can't ascertain which version i have so went into your link for microsoft support. it mentions the 3 items

above, with an explanation of how to use the program (with extreme caution) as you mentioned.

however, it would appear that i would have to download this program to use it as, when i try to open up my installed version there are no prompts or instructions, just the 3 items!

to be honest, i dont think i'll try this option as knowing me and my luck, i'm bound to remove something i shouldn't, and could end up in deeper whatsit than when i started.

as i said before, its not affecting the performance of my pc, just an irritation for the fact that i cant delete a program that i no longer use.

ashampoo should be in contact with me later today (48hrs) and it will be interesting to see what they say.

i'll keep you updated, and thanks again for your help.

much appreciated,

bjt.

your thinking is correct!

so i did a search for windows installer and it only came up with 2 programs,

1st windows installer cleanup...2nd interop.windowsinstaller.dll.........

both these were in my 'c' drive and also in my 'f' drive.

when i open up the installer cleanup file, it shows the following 3 items.........msicuu....... MsiZap........and a readme file.

i can't ascertain which version i have so went into your link for microsoft support. it mentions the 3 items

above, with an explanation of how to use the program (with extreme caution) as you mentioned.

however, it would appear that i would have to download this program to use it as, when i try to open up my installed version there are no prompts or instructions, just the 3 items!

to be honest, i dont think i'll try this option as knowing me and my luck, i'm bound to remove something i shouldn't, and could end up in deeper whatsit than when i started.

as i said before, its not affecting the performance of my pc, just an irritation for the fact that i cant delete a program that i no longer use.

ashampoo should be in contact with me later today (48hrs) and it will be interesting to see what they say.

i'll keep you updated, and thanks again for your help.

much appreciated,

bjt.

have had a response from ashampoo,

thank you for your eMail. Please use the Link below to uninstall the Software http://www.ashampoo-20.com/remover/apc4_remove_e.zip Enter the File on your Computer and unzip these. Make a Doubleclick on the *.exe* File and the Programm will be removed. Thank you very much. MfG/RegardsMelanie ObermeyerKundendienst | Support

did as instructed and 'voila' ashampoo photo commander 4 gone!.

thanks again for your help.

bjt.

BJT,

Thanks for posting your solution.

Hopefully others may benefit.

Best Regards