run each of its features

restart after each feature

tune has a free trial

update and run

http://www.tune-up.com/download/

Edited by mme

OK ... so...

I LOVE that Tuneup program!!!

But, I STILL have the not-shutting-down-auto-restarting-even-when-the-checkbox-is-unticked issue...

I have tried about 6 things so far in the task manager, will take me days to get through, but I'll post back when I find IF one of them is the culprit.

I've also deleted some things I didn't need off my startup menu, like Quicktime, Nokia phone thingy, Fax program, which I don't need starting automatically...

Thanks everyone for the hints, will keep trying, and will keep checking back here to see if anyone has any more ideas!

shootme, before I download that one, WHAT is it, would I have it already, WHY would I need it?? Just need to know before I do anything!! :)

I just want to make sure windows scripting is working this will make windows scripting version 5.6.0.8831

and fix anything that may be corrupt if it is. :)

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

I have tried about 6 things so far in the task manager, will take me days to get through, but I'll post back when I find IF one of them is the culprit.

Have you tried to shut down from safe mode? If the problem is present from safe mode, then alot can be ruled out.

I've also deleted some things I didn't need off my startup menu, like Quicktime, Nokia phone thingy, Fax program, which I don't need starting automatically...

If you had not already trimmed the auto startup, then I assume you haven't got WinPatrol. ;)

Some of the best allround tools for security and system configuration. Check it out, the basic version is free.

http://www.winpatrol.com

Try looking here. :)

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Or

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm then

select "S" section then scroll down to the Shutdown area

in the list.

IF ALL SUGGESTIONS FAIL LAST RESORT ....... back up all files that can not be replaced

So you can restore them later.

In most cases when I did a repairXP It does not go well.

NOTE: If I was you I would do a fresh install not a repair.

Find all the drivers for your hardware before you do a repair or a fresh install

And put them on a cd.

If the above does not work then try a full WinXP repair:

1) Start WinXP setup from DOS (Win9x boot disk) or boot

from WinXP CD.

2) Setup will ask if you want to Install Windows or

Repair. SELECT INSTALL.

3) Setup should find your existing WinXP system(hopefully)

4) Select the WinXP system that was found and now select

Repair.

Setup will repair WinXP.

If SP1 was installed prior to the repair, it will need to

be-installed again since the repair process removes SP1.

This is not the case though if a Slipstreamed version of

SP1 was used (SP1 built-in the WinXP CD and is either self-

made or bought that way).

Same applys with SP2

For more info look at this MS knowledgebase article:

http://tinyurl.com/176b

Also see this site for details if needed

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

I hope this helps :)

Good luck

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

God I am terrified of reinstalling ....

Anyway that link above, kellys korner, I got a download for an event tracker, and in the log after I shutdown (before it restarted again :( ), itsays

The process Explorer.EXE has initiated the restart of SERVER for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)

Minor Reason: 0x0

Shutdown Type: power off

Comment:

Does that tell you anything?? If explorer.exe 'initiated' the restart, does that mean there's a problem with explorer.exe?

PS I have defragged, virus scanned, updated and run spybot, adaware, chk-disked, sfc'd, used TuneUp 2008, cleanup.exe so many darn times in the past few days....

I still find it odd, that after installing the new manufacturer drivers for my SiS mirage graphics card, it displays as 'other device' in device manager.

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by frog

God I am terrified of reinstalling ....

I think it's a bit early to talk about reinstalling. :)

The process Explorer.EXE has initiated the restart of SERVER for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)

Minor Reason: 0x0

Shutdown Type: power off

Comment:

Does that tell you anything?? If explorer.exe 'initiated' the restart, does that mean there's a problem with explorer.exe?

Does it only say SERVER? I wonder if it's a system service that can be deactivated.

If you install WinPatrol, you can view all services and disable them you don't need. WinPatrol has many tools. It also offers information about most services, programs etc. Based on the information and advice from WinPatrol, you can decide what to do.

I agree reinstall of OS is to soon. I am just trying to show you your options,

and give the advice that others had to do to solve there problem.

I want you to go into internet explorer.

Right click IE icon If on (desk top or on start menu)

Select properties on menu.

Select advanced Select reset.

Then restart PC.

Then try to shut down from start menu.

Let us know how that goes. :)

PS. "Server" is the name of that PC

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

After you do reset if there is no change.

Please download and save this to desktop.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

run this tool to make sure you dont have MSBlaster!

Please run a free scan here.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Run the tools suggested here.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=61975

If nothing is found you will need to post a HJT and have A TRUSTED HJT ADVISOR look at your hjt post.

ADMIN: I think this needs to be moved to Viruses, spyware, adware.

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

I want you to go into internet explorer.

Right click IE icon If on (desk top or on start menu)

Select properties on menu.

Select advanced Select reset.

Are you sure? It was explorer.exe, not iexplorer.exe.

By the way...

I took a look at my own IE, followed your steps. There is no reset option. :huh:

Are you sure? It was explorer.exe, not iexplorer.exe.

By the way...

I took a look at my own IE, followed your steps. There is no reset option. :huh:

I am using IE 7 and my icon is on my desktop

Right clk IE icon select properties from the menu.

select advance tab on top right

on bottom of advanced tab window is reset button. ;)

If you have an arrow on your icon thats a shortcut and above will not work.

launch IE 7, select tools, select internet options, select advanced tab, select reset button. :)

If using IE 6 do this.

http://www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-reset-in...lorer-6-to.html

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

Ok I think I may have found something on a post.

My XP pro system PC was doing just this. It would shut down and then it would restart. However, the following change to the registry sorts it out very well. Go Start/run and type regedit. Then find the following string as follows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows NT\current version\winlogon Change PowerdownAftershutdown from 0 to 1. Change from 0 to 1 and exit out of regedit. You machine should shut down perfectly...well mine does in any case!!

NOTE: restart your sytem after you do the regedit. then try to shut down system from the start menu.

I got this from here.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/1076883901

Please before you try this make a restore point.

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

Hi, sorry been busy over the weekend.

Shootme, I tried the microsoft malicious software tool you suggested above, nothing found.

Yes, my computer's "name" IS "server"!

I wondered the same as Viking, where you suggest 'resetting' IE - when my eventlog message was about "explorer.exe" ... but, I did it anyway ... which will drive me nuts for weeks, trying to remember old passwords for forums such as this :)

I'll look at TrendMicro next; .... but .... even if fix it, I'll be wondering WHY it happened in the first place...

Post back again later. Thanks you guys... again... so much.

I JUST DID THE REGEDIT THING, CHANGING THE 0 TO A 1 ... IT DID NOT WORK. I wonder WHY though, I thought the registry 'controlled' everything... so, would it be a bios thing then?

And... I found this microsoft article, about 'unknown devices' in system manager. I don't understand it all, but could all this have somewthing to do with my graphics card, Sis Mirage - Could IT have had a problem, then i updated the driver, now it's 'unknown'? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q244601

Edited by frog

I am going to start a new thread in the HJT section, and post a log in there - I hope that is the right thing to do.

trend Micro found a massive 8 cookies to delete... (sarcasm...) but nothing else.

I am going to start a new thread in the HJT section, and post a log in there - I hope that is the right thing to do.

trend Micro found a massive 8 cookies to delete... (sarcasm...) but nothing else.

did you check your bios for wake on ?? disable all of that if you have not done so.

did you check your bios for wake on ?? disable all of that if you have not done so.

Thanks patricko, can you please explain that a little more??

Edited by frog

WE need for you to check your bios settings.

To make sure (Under power options that your not using things like you move your mouse pc starts if you hit a key on key board your system starts make sure that wake on options are disabled.)

Here is a site to help understand some of the settings.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/22/bios_for_beginners/

If you can tell me make and model of your motherboard I may find the manuel for your exact BIOs

or you can look in your (MOBO) Motherboard manul look under power options set all to default settings. :)

OK about the unkown device all I can say is you can try to uninstall the video driver SIS and then see if the same device shows up UNKNOWN or if you have 2 devices showing UNKNOWN.

Another way to check is load safe mode before you uninstall video driver SIS and see if UNKNOW still shows up there.

Another way is use the install disk that came with your motherboard unistall the driver from SIS that I suggested and reinstall the motherboard drivers.

NOTE: sometimes you must restart pc 2 times before windows IDs hardware right after you uninstall a driver. Make sure in BIOs that virus boot detection is disabled before you install a new driver.

disconnecting from the internet, and turning off antivirus and spyware monitors, and using cleanup after you uninstall a driver before you install a new driver.

I can't tell what has made this problem. All I can do is suggest a fix.

On your test the last things you did was installed hp drivers and a fax modem drivers. I say this because of the install dates under software on your test. Your PC was shutting down ok before those changes were made. So maybe one of the installs has corrupted your video card drivers or the fax driver has enabled wake on use of a modem or the modem is set to never shut off so pc restarts.

I have read some posting that RPC (remote procedure call) can be causing this type of problem.

But SP2 should have fixed this problem.

Maybe uninstalling all the google stuff on your pc may help.

I don't think you have been hijacked at this point but I want them to check just in case.

I think your just having a driver issue.

But keep in mind I can be wrong thats why I want you to have advisor check your HJT log.

I am sorry about your passwords. :(

I hope you don't have to do a repair/fresh install of xp but you are running out of options. :(

Hi shootme,

THIS

"On your test the last things you did was installed hp drivers and a fax modem drivers. I say this because of the install dates under software on your test. Your PC was shutting down ok before those changes were made. So maybe one of the installs has corrupted your video card drivers or the fax driver has enabled wake on use of a modem or the modem is set to never shut off so pc restarts.

IS a really good thought, particularly the modem idea. (HOW DO I CHECK??)

Coincidentally my MFC was playing up, but to be honest I am not sure if the shutdown issues were just before, or at the same time.

The motherboard is *consulting with Belarc*

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 8S661FXM-RZ

Bus Clock: 133 megahertz

BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F10 08/11/2005

OOh another thought. The last few days, although my power settings DEFINTELY ARE TO shut off monitor after 10 mins, hard drive after 20, THESE HAVE STOPPED working too...... something is keeping the pc running...

So, maybe it is all 'setting' related...

*Ok just went into phone and modem settings, and UNTICKED the 'allow this modem to bring computer out of standby" ... should I do that? Would I need to allow it to bring out of standby?

Edited by frog

Here are the drivers for that Motherboard.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=1777

I would try each one. one at a time and see if anything changes for reboot issue.

When you do the on board video driver make sure you uninstall SIS one first.

This is the settings I use. I shutdown my PC when not in use.

In the power options monitor should be set to 10 min.

Hard driver power off......never

Standbye....... never

MFC ....?

You talking about this?

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d...x6e(VS.80).aspx

And yes I would select not to allow modem to bring system out of standbye.

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

MFC ....?

You talking about this?

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d...x6e(VS.80).aspx

NO, sorry, Multi Function Centre = scanner printer fax copier!!

Thanks for your ongoing help, it is very much appreciated!

*RE the motherboard ... I am wondering why I need to UNinstall the SiS driver first, it looks like the one on that gigabyte site is Sis too, would it not over-ride / uninstall earier drivers? Or prompt me to when opening the file? ....

I am wondering if I should pay for the PCPitstop endorsed driver program, whatever it's called, driveralert? This might fix all my problems without me going to 17 diff manufacturer sites, unistalling stuff and potentially getting it wrong? etc??? What do you think?

DriverAlert says I only NEED PS2 mouse compatible port, And TWO for HP officejet 6100 (yet the 'current' and 'revised" versions in the list are the same :S ). SHOULD it 'mention' motherboard drivers?

Edited by frog

Drivers can be a touchy thing at times. they can get corrupt just from a click of a mouse button. conflicts with hardware, conflicts with other software, and conflicts with drivers.

See not all software and or drivers gets along with everything as planed sometimes. Ask anyone software causes more conflicts on most PC's then hardware.

If I were you I would try uninstalling the HP suite and then use the cd that came with the HP device then test if you can shutdown the PC. Try to back track what software and or drivers you installed to see if you can get the pc shutting down again.

So you understand the latest driver and or software for a device may not be the best driver or software for your system. so you have to test a new driver or software to make sure your system still does what it should.

I have my own problems just like you with new drivers some times. ummm microsofts xp updates changes to the OS sometimes conflicts with my software and drivers and I have to uninstall a program then reinstall it to fix the problems and or drivers. A few weeks ago windows Internet Explorer went out of it's mind on my pc closeing then wanting to send a error report then starting up again just to start the same thing over again a big loop never ending. even after a restart. I had to kill processes in task manager till I could gain control over my PC.

Only thing that fixed the problem was reinstalling IE. after I did that the problem was fixed but then I ran into other problems and had to try diffrent drivers and software updates to fix my problems.

The best place to get a driver update or software is the manufacturer but this does not mean that it all ways works sadly. As stated before microsoft is not a good place to get a driver update or software for your system they make the OS so they are only good at the OS updates a little because even there updates don't go as planed like when SP2 was released there were tons of conlicts with software and drivers.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h...el_02may13.mspx

I am sorry there is not an easy button for your problem. you will have to try changing the last few things you did to try and find a cure.

I understand reinstalling the OS is not what you want to do. but if you have tryed every thing that was suggested I don't see any other option.

And learn from your last mistake never trust Microsoft updates for your devices. let them update there OS.

But you update at the manfacturers site's for your hardware and software and test every update as they are installed. see if you you do 3 updates and never tested the first or second update you have 3 diffrent problems it could be.

I hope I have helped you. Good luck, let us know how it goes your not alone lots of us have conflicts all we do is try each option to find a cure. Keep your chin up and keep trying you will find the cure. :)

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

Sorry I didn't come back in here to report to you guys, particularly Shootme.

I am so grateful for all your advice and tips and SHOULD have come in to thank you.

My issues are all sorted now. I have no idea what fixed it, I did many things over and over, like chkdisk, degrag, spybot, bios settings, yaddah yaddah...

And I pulled the box apart and gave it a good blow-out and oiled the power supply fan which was worknig intermittently.

But my printer is worknig perfectly; and my pc now shuts down properly!!!!!

So I am sure it was SOMETHING that you suggested, that fixed the pc ... but just not sure what!! :)

And no, I will never use microsoft for driver updates again.

Thank you thank you. :b33r: