Sign in to follow this  
frog

Computer Won't Shut Down BUT I've UNCHECKED the 'auto rest

So ...

The last couple of days the computer gets to shutting down, and then just restarts.

So I thought I would try and find what is causing the problem, and I went and UNCHECKED the 'auto restart' box (my computer, properties etc).

I had hoped to get an error message to help me figure out why the PC won't shut down. BUT it STILL keeps restarting, so I am no closer to fixing my problem, whatever that may be.

I am running XP.

My PCptistop test this morning hung, so I can't post results for that, I'll try again shortly.

in the meantime, has anyone got any ideas please?

PS I went to Windows Update today, all critical updates were already done; I updated drivers for my printer while I was there.

Hi,

It's a desktop, and the power off button works fine (I have it disabled so my son won't press it - but if you hold it in for 10 seconds, it shuts the PC down fine).

I've just run the pitstop tests - I have NEVER seen it run so slow, where it does all the pictures and numbers was REALLY slow.

My tests showed that

TIP > Device or Driver Problems

According to Windows, the devices and/or drivers listed below are not enabled:

SiS 661FX_760_741_M661FX_M760_M741 [problem code 10]

A disabled device does not always indicate an error, but is a good place to start if you are having problems with a device.

Don't know what that's about (driver alert says this driver is out of date) but I am hesitant to find a driver until i know what it is and what it does.

Could this be related?

Do you want me to post my test somewhere?

Please follow the yellow "TechExpress help" link (top of page), if you are not familiar with sharing your test results.

This won't solve the source to the problem, but might prevent the reboot:

Open the properties to "My Computer". > Advanced tab > Startup & Restore button.

Uncheck the automatic reboot feature in case of system errors.

Edited by Viking

Yes I will follow that link.

Viking, what you have said there about the automatic reboot IS what i have already DONE, yet the pc STILL restarts.

SOrry viking its all confusing!!

Have done my link to my test.

I think I SHOULD update the display device driver...

try doing a chkdsk /r

Start/run/chkdsk /r /click ok

notice the space between the k and the /

At the command prompt type the letter y

press enter

chkdsk cannot run at this time...another volume is using it

restart your computer....

and run a cleaner to make sure no bits and pieces are left behind

heres clean-up

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...9&Itemid=70

start/run/ dfrg.msc /click ok

click defragment.......

Edited by mme

Thanks guys.

I already have and USE cleanup.exe.

I will do the chkdisk thing later when kids alseep!!

I'll read the eldergeek thing too. Thank you so so much for your help, will post back when I've done those things - so please come back in tomorrow morning to see how I went!!

AAARRRRGGGHHHHHH

Now instead of eliminating one problem, I have created another.

I thought I was doing the right thing, installing updated driver for my display adaper from Windows Update...

NOW not only does the PC not shut down, when it restarts I get the following error message:

keyhook.exe - entry point not found

the procedure entry point ?ReadKeyString@CSiSReg@@SAHPAD0H0 .... didn't write down the rest....

But I did do the chkdisk thing, that seemed all fine - I didn't get any error message anyways.

I googled that error and it seems i may have to try to roll back to my previous drivers???

So...

Anyone who's patient enough to read all this...

WHAT should I do next????????

Thanks.

Since this problem has started about 2 days ago means that it's not related to Windows or your power button. You have got some sort of virus/spyware which is slowing PC and causing reboot; remember that when software is installed, can call for reboot.

Scan for infections etc.

Thanks Roleo,

I have already been updating and running Spybot, and Adaware (which I have used together for years), as well as CA Vet antivirus - just about daily because I can't figure any of these errors out.

So I don't think it's malware... BUT, that said, I will do yet another cleanup, then run everything in safe mode, just for fun :) then a defrag...

VIKING, you said "i had some issues to sort out' - can you please tell me, based on my test, WHAT i need to fix, please??? PS ignore drive D, its a storage (movies) drive... And my internet connection speed - I am in australia so ping time is long!!

Shootme,

Thanks.

My pc is not a brand-name one, it's component built system.

Should I 'roll back' to previous driver, then download the one you mention above???

(does 'rolling back' delete the new one, or do I have to locate it and delete it first?)

AARRRGGHH

VIKING, you said "i had some issues to sort out' - can you please tell me, based on my test, WHAT i need to fix, please??? PS ignore drive D, its a storage (movies) drive... And my internet connection speed - I am in australia so ping time is long!!

I'm referring to all your flags in the test. In particular the "Update outdated device drivers" yellow flag.

I'm not saying that anything there has anything to do with the shutdown problem, but the flags should get some attention. I think the test is explaining most of this, and if you need help with your test result, you can post a new thread in this forum: Your PC Pitstop Test Results

To avoid confusion, I think it's best to discuss only things that are related to your shutdown problem in this thread.

Should I 'roll back' to previous driver, then download the one you mention above???

(does 'rolling back' delete the new one, or do I have to locate it and delete it first?)

AARRRGGHH

Some advice that Win Update is not the best place to download drivers. The best place is the manufacturer's website.

Your pc is not a brand-named one, but doesn't the manufacturer of each part offer drivers?

I don't know if "rolling back" a driver actually deletes the new driver, but at least the pc stops using that driver. You don't have to locate and delete it by hand.

Thank you viking.

Ok, I will roll back to the previous driver. Then I will download the one from the SiS website. I didn't know it wasn't recommended to get them from the Microsoft site, won't do that again.

Then maybe the graphics card will work properly ... and HOPEFULLY it was the cause of my shutdown issue... not something else entirely.

Thank you all again for your help.

I am not sure if this will help with shutdown problem but it may help to check the settings on your pc.

I only say this because your pc does not hang on shutdown but restarts and no error message.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810903

I am still searching...... :)

Try this step by step to find the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308029/

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

Update.

Well I tried to roll back the display driver.. butthere was nothing saved to roll back to. Anyway I downloaded, uninstalled, and now installed new drivers.

I ran cleanup.exe again and shutdown, it STILL restarts (but I don't gert the keryhook error message, so, I am back to where I started (except my display adapter driver is now working).

I have run my tests again, haven't yet put in a link in techexpress - I went to my history (tests) and it says NONE there except todays - what the?? I wanted to compare today with yesterday and it ain't there...

Thanks for those links... I'd read them already.

I already HAVE unchecked the stupid 'auto restart' box, and have it set to write a log to eventsys.

I am not knowledgeable enough to look at bios settings, i ran chkdisk yesterday, sfc the night before, defragged each day for the last week, anyone wanna see a HJT log?

If anyone is still reading...

I just went to device manager for the first time since I downloaded the Display Adapter Driver from ITS manufacturer.

Before, it appeared IN device manager list AS "Display Adapter"; NOW there is NO display adapter in that list - instead it is ? Other Device (SiS Mirage Graphics). Is that important?

*Just answered my own question about why there is NO test history for 'this' configuration today... PCptistop thinks this is a different configuration because the display adapter is now showing as 'other' device!!*

Edited by frog

Did you try to kill a processes one at a time in task manager then shut down the pc? please kill one process then select shutdown on task manager menu on menu select shutdown.

Try each one but DO NOT kill explorer.

How you get to task manger right click task bar select task manger under processes kill each one one at a time then try to shutdown the pc the menu is right on the task manger window. looks like this

Windows task manager.................X

FILE..... Options.... view..... "SHUTDOWN"< this one...... help

select shut off in the menu list

Tabs select processes tab select one process on the list right click and select end task then try to shut down the pc.

Edited by Shoot Me Damit

shootme, before I download that one, WHAT is it, would I have it already, WHY would I need it?? Just need to know before I do anything!! :)

I'll post back when i have done the shutdown each one testing bit.. in a few hours... silly kids want me to entertain them!! ( I am their mother after all!!)