Sign in to follow this  
alaskacheckcashers

Raid or Not?

I have a lot of machines and all of them have WD Raptor 150 GB Drives they are all Raid0. I am in the middle of another build when I found myself in a little dilemma. Which build is really faster, out of the box a Raptor is 1.5 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 10,000 RPM, ok the MB has 3GB/S SATA so would it be faster not to Raid? or would it be the same either way?

Thanks

Gary R.

I have a lot of machines and all of them have WD Raptor 150 GB Drives they are all Raid0. I am in the middle of another build when I found myself in a little dilemma. Which build is really faster, out of the box a Raptor is 1.5 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 10,000 RPM, ok the MB has 3GB/S SATA so would it be faster not to Raid? or would it be the same either way?

Thanks

Gary R.

Putting them in RAID would be faster.

Actually for day to day desktop use you wouldn't see much a of a difference and unless you are copying extremely large files on a regular basis then raid0 isn't worth the trade off in reliability, and data integrity.

If these machines are used in a business, or have irreplaceable data on them, I would be hard pressed to recommend raid0. In fact unless you had a reliable back up solution then I wouldn't recommend it at all.

If they are simply things to tinker with, and reliability, and data integrity doesn't matter, in other words, if the data isn't important, then have at it, have fun. ;)

Actually for day to day desktop use you wouldn't see much a of a difference and unless you are copying extremely large files on a regular basis then raid0 isn't worth the trade off in reliability, and data integrity.

If these machines are used in a business, or have irreplaceable data on them, I would be hard pressed to recommend raid0. In fact unless you had a reliable back up solution then I wouldn't recommend it at all.

If they are simply things to tinker with, and reliability, and data integrity doesn't matter, in other words, if the data isn't important, then have at it, have fun. ;)

He has a point

Installing software and transferring files are quick with RAID.

I have become addicted to it. I went back to my old pc and I couldnt handle the slow "copy" and "Paste" of files larger then 200mb

Installing software and transferring files are quick with RAID.

He has a point as well, Software installs are much quicker with Raid;

Plus Online Gaming Load Screens are as well alot quicker. Plus the 'real-time' game play of Online Games is quicker, although the Game Play speed-up of using Raid over Non-Raid is not as much as I had hoped.

Bruce, you hit it right on the head it boils down to how valuable is the data and if you have an adequate and trustworthy back up solution. I did'nt and it is BIZ, and the Data was extremely valuable and so this one will not be raid and we will see what happens I can always change it. However as we all KNOW you can never recover it? Hey thanks you guys I needed to hear it from somebody else. I am sure I will be using this forum more often.

Thanks again.

Gary R.

Raid 5? Its definitely faster on writes and I'm guessing on reads over a standard disk though it is better implemented in hardware and needs a minimum of three disks. As previously mentioned if its valuable data then you definitely want redundancy either provided by your raid setup or preferably offsite backups.

I believe it is possible to recover data from a raid http://pyflag.sourceforge.net/Documentatio...nstruction.html looks like fun!

Raid 1 is the easiest to recover from a single drive failure. But as a business system some type of daily data backup would be best made to a external drive in case of a software error that would corrupt the operating system on the raid.

Raid 1 is the easiest to recover from a single drive failure. But as a business system some type of daily data backup would be best made to a external drive in case of a software error that would corrupt the operating system on the raid.

My Question: I am building a system with 2 150GB system/software drives and 2 500GB data drives; each pair is a RAID 1 array. What is the best software to backup up to an external USB-2 connected hard disk.

Thanks

Gary R.

I love RAID0. You get twice the storage, twice the speed, supposedly. I have the two 160gigs in RAID config. and a separate HD (250gigs) for backup and storage.

The pair are partitioned into three sections.

C: is for Windows and all the stuff that insists on residing with it. (40 gigs)

D: is for backup files, safekeeping, templates and stuff like that. (nother 40 gigs)

E: is for Program Files and Nero and all the rest of the video processing software. (rest of the gigs)

When you deal in whole movies and capturing off the tv you have to defrag as often as you change socks practically, so getting that part by itself makes for faster defrag time.

F: is for DVD drive 1 (region 1)

G: is for DVD drive 2 (region 4)

The remaining HD is also broken up into 3 partitions also:

H: is for Backup.sys file (40 gigs)

I: is for pagefile to get it off C: drive and supposedly make it work better (according to Microsoft) (10 gigs)

J: is a copy of D: and any stuff I want to archive like videos and audio files that are also on E: (rest of the gigs) So, whenever I save any work it is always in D: that I open the program and then save it there and then save it again in J:. Takes a few extra seconds but now the only way I will lose my stuff is if the roof falls in and crushes the case! :h3lp: LOL

This may work for you or you may want to adjust the partition number and sizes according to your needs.

Good luck!

Edited by Arthur21743

Thats alot of partitions.

I currently run 4X250GB seagates in raid0

I've noticed HUGE differences from running my old Sata WD to the 4 seagates.

When playing the games, i've noticed a very nice performance increase especcially in online games.

Load times are very low..

From pressing the power button i get into windows in 35 seconds. Ready to start any program.. Yes i timed it.