Sign in to follow this  
Blackout

HTTP Browsing

I came home last night from work to fidn my mom asking me to fix her computer. She told me her computer downloaded something, but she didn't know what. I imagine it was a Microsoft Auto-update. In Firefox or IE7, I get "the page cannot be displayed" no matter what address i try. I am on the network, can go into CMD and ping google.com and send and recieve the packets, I can get email through Thunderbird, and can even download music off iTunes, but I can't browse the web. It's Windows XP home SP2.

My guess is that the "update" was a hoax, and that some type of malicious sofltware is now present.

You may be able to restore Internet connectivity by repairing the IP stack.  To do this, log on as an administrator, click Start, Run, type netsh interface ip reset > nul and click OK.

My guess is that the "update" was a hoax, and that some type of malicious sofltware is now present.

You may be able to restore Internet connectivity by repairing the IP stack.  To do this, log on as an administrator, click Start, Run, type netsh interface ip reset > nul and click OK.

Hi!

I am having the same problem. My daughter downloaded something and now she can't get on the internet or email. We use a router and I even tried to connect directly from the modem. My son can get on and my laptop can get on. It is just hers. I called Charter and the connection and ping stuff is fine. I thought I would try your suggestion and I tried typing this in and it said windows cannot find netsh. Should there be spaces?

Thanks,

Jennifer

windows cannot find netsh. Should there be spaces?

The command must be entered exactly as shown, with no more or fewer spaces.  That particular command sequence is intended for Windows XP, and another method is probably needed if you're running Vista, but both XP and Vista should include the Netsh command.