Sign in to follow this  
seremina

Hacker Attack!

Seremina, try the FireFox 3 Beta 2. I am using it and liking it very much, you can get it here in the language of your choice.....

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

I started using this as a result of problems I had beginning with v.2.0.0.9 (or whatever). I think it's great!

:geezer:

Caintry, may I please know [if you can remember] what all the problems were? I'm very confused by how much FF had changed. [sure, the change doesn't look like much to the eye, but when you explore around and try web-browsing...] since 1.5. But yeah, I think I'll try the one you recommend. I thought this version was for Macs only, though? I might be misinformed about Firefox 3. I only about about these batty 2's.

Teohan, the problem is this... whenever I tell FF to download something, it refuses to. If it tries to, it tells me the folder is locked or it just can't download and displays the item as saved on the Downloads panel that pops up though I know its not there. The oddest thing is, I can only download pictures with FF. I have to switch to Opera to make everything else download. These are the extensions I have, but I may have to try the Safe Mode form of FF to see if it might be the extension.

AdBlock Plus

FlashBlock

IETab

Tab Mix Plus

Talkback [grayed out?]

YesScript [disabled for the moment]

PitchDark Theme

That's it. Just ones for using IE and for security purposes.

Caintry, may I please know [if you can remember] what all the problems were? I'm very confused by how much FF had changed.

Well, I've slept since then..... :lol: but as I recall I went from x.x.9 to x.x.10 and started having things like "freeze ups", stalls, and other problems that I don't remember. This FireFox 3 Beta 2 isn't perfect (when I right click links and select to Bookmark, it doesn't work. I have to right click and select "copy link location", then go to *Bookmarks/Organize and create a new bookmark) but everything else works great!! And it is for Windows, Mac, Linux.....you choose which language on that page and which O/S.

I believe it is not a problem with your Firefox extensions (nor is there such a bug with Firefox 2.0.0.11 as far as I've heard). What do you get when you try to download something? Did you get a dialogue box like this: http://blogs.zdnet.com/images/eb_ff_download_01.png

and did you select the Save to Disk option? Is the OK button greyed out?

If you do not see the download dialogue box, check in the Main tab of Tools > Options to make sure whether you have set a specific location for the files to be automatically downloaded to, or to prompt you where to save them each time. To open a downloaded item from the Firefox download manager, click on the Open link. To view the directory of which the file is in, right click the downloaded item and select Open Containing Folder.

You may also wish to refer to this MozillaZine KB article if you haven't yet: Unable to save or download files

Edited by teohhanhui

Well, I've slept since then..... :lol: but as I recall I went from x.x.9 to x.x.10 and started having things like "freeze ups", stalls, and other problems that I don't remember. This FireFox 3 Beta 2 isn't perfect (when I right click links and select to Bookmark, it doesn't work. I have to right click and select "copy link location", then go to *Bookmarks/Organize and create a new bookmark) but everything else works great!! And it is for Windows, Mac, Linux.....you choose which language on that page and which O/S.

What if you went to Bookmarks...make Bookmark on the site you want bookmarked? I think it'd make me batty if I couldn't bookmark anything. I had that issue with Flock before I tossed it. I've never seen a newly-released version of a browser be so wrecked in my life! It was only 1% functional. It drove me to try Opera. I've been liking it since, but I did miss FF. If I can't do bookmarks on FF 3, and can't do downloads [except pics] with FF 2, then I might as well downscale back to 1.5...it gave me no issues. I have to say, this is pretty sad. FF was my favourite browser and Opera is quickly replacing it entirely. I think I know why Opera glitches up... the cache size was ridiculously low and needed clearing. It was 20 MB. I hiked it to 50 MB and cleared the cache.

Has anybody noticed that Firefox 2 [whatever version]'s menus don't show all of themselves if you need the text to be large for visibility? Or is that a theme issue? I'm a little tired of this issue. I find I have to hike up the resolution temporarily just to reach the rest of the menus or make the text smaller temporarily. Both give me eyestrain and I'm tired of doing that just to access the menus. The menus I'm talking about is FF's options menu, not the scroll down ones.

I believe it is not a problem with your Firefox extensions (nor is there such a bug with Firefox 2.0.0.11 as far as I've heard). What do you get when you try to download something? Did you get a dialogue box like this: http://blogs.zdnet.com/images/eb_ff_download_01.png

and did you select the Save to Disk option? Is the OK button greyed out?

If you do not see the download dialogue box, check in the Main tab of Tools > Options to make sure whether you have set a specific location for the files to be automatically downloaded to, or to prompt you where to save them each time. To open a downloaded item from the Firefox download manager, click on the Open link. To view the directory of which the file is in, right click the downloaded item and select Open Containing Folder.

You may also wish to refer to this MozillaZine KB article if you haven't yet: Unable to save or download files

saving menu

Looks normal...until...

malfunction

It does this for all except pics. It'll easily handle pics. But everything else...nope. If I use left-click instead of "save as", it won't do anything at all. As for the article, I tried everything in that article. Nothing works to fix this.

I went to Comodo to look at some settings and somehow, Comodo crashed and looks to be uninstalled! :surrender: I'm discouraged already. I'm tired of this. Am I getting the same problems as before? I'll check the website. The last time this happened, supposedly, they had an update but it didn't automatically set up. If this keeps up, I say Comodo is a stringer. It keeps chasing me after a string of problems and I'm the poor cat that's bashed her head into the wall!

Later: No new version for Comodo. I'm stumped. According to the thread I was led to, though, the problem is simply Firefox 2. Its been happening since Firefox 2.0.0.9, they said. They said this problem gets fixed if you replace the current FF with the FF 3 beta 2 and that its stable despite not being the final version of it yet. So...I might take the plunge...but I'm concerned about the bookmarking issue. Don't know what I'll do about Comodo. I'm sick of the problems I have with it. I might have to use 2.4 for a long time instead, or find some other firewall that might be just as good or better.

Edited by seremina

All right! The router is up and going. The Comodo Firewall has crashed out, so I'm using the XP firewall instead. I'm thinking of sticking with it instead of trying to choose a good software firewall. I'm thinking of adding Threatfire and Spybot [without Tea Timer]. I'm also thinking of replacing Comodo Anti-Malware with A2. Does this look good?

And no, I still don't have Firefox fixed. :pullhair: But at least it doesn't have glitchups from just looking at and saving pictures, like Opera does. I'm thinking I might have to go with Firefox 3 after all. How do I save my bookmarks and other stuff so it'll go into Firefox 3?

hello :)

if you are talking about comodo boclean not comodo anti-viruspyware (cavs) it

is ok there is not alot of realtime antimalware scanners for free

a-2 squared free has no realtime guard but it is good just watch out for false

posatives i seemed to get them sometimes with it

http://forum.emsisoft.com/

the only bad thing about windows firewall is you can't see whats talking out

threatfire could help there but i have not tryed threatfire yet i'm trying

online armor free right now

http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS/IDP_programs/services

doin't know about firefox i'v used opera a few times but i use ie7 i'm on

dial-up so firefox is slow for me

:)

Hi seremina

How do I save my bookmarks and other stuff so it'll go into Firefox 3?

Sorry to hear about your ongoing troubles.

Stormy13 describes how to backup/manage your your bookmarks:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?show...=135695&hl=

Best Regards

I have read with a router, XP Firewall is good enough. I asked here if Threatfire was any good, but apparently not tested yet-no answers. MaximumPC magazine likes it. Spyware Terminator gives real time protection & is rated well. Spyware Blaster is usually (always) recommended-no conflicts. I have never had a problem with Firefox except new versions & McAfee Site Adviser not updated.

A2 is rated well as a manual scanner& never finds anything on my PC, but I try to only do safe surfing.

Strangely enough, Firefox is downloading things again. I have no clue how it got fixed. Looks like I won't have to try that beta yet, after all. Though I got rid of all the Comodo products, it seems the Comodo Antivirus/Antispyware didn't completely uninstall. I looked in my Start Menu, I looked in my Control Panel's Add/Remove, but there's no way to complete the uninstallation. The uninstall isn't complete because after each boot up, when Windows is about done loading, it tells me it couldn't find Comodo Antivirus/Antispyware and the program will close. Its like the uninstallation didn't kill the startup entry or something. How do I get rid of this?

BTW...the BCD booting-menu utility only works for Vista, not XP. How do I get it to work for XP? I had to chuck the install since it demands I have Vista on this system to get it to work. I'm relieved that uninstalling it didn't kill the bootup process. Whew.

I'm so close to the end of the troubles, I can taste it!

There's a handful of programs that can help you with managing startup entries. Let me just give you a few examples here:

1. Spybot - Search & Destroy

Click on Mode > Advanced Mode, go to the Tools section and select System Startup. Check the items that you wish to disable and click on the Toggle button.

2. Microsoft Windows Defender

3. Hijackthis

Good luck!! =P

Edited by teohhanhui

There's a handful of programs that can help you with managing startup entries. Let me just give you a few examples here:

1. Spybot - Search & Destroy

Click on Mode > Advanced Mode, go to the Tools section and select System Startup. Check the items that you wish to disable and click on the Toggle button.

2. Microsoft Windows Defender

3. Hijackthis

Good luck!! =P

I'll have to try the ZSoft Uninstaller. I can't go through the long process because it seems only one portion was left installed and the uninstaller is gone since it thinks it was a complete uninstallation. I'll also use Spybot or msconfig to get rid of any startup entries related to the Comodo stuff.

I have another question that seems more like an additional issue that's popping up. I had Guild Wars and CGoban 3 installed on the computer, but it seems with each reboot...they vanish. Its like they were never installed. I made sure Returnil wasn't on and was hoping that was the problem. Any clues?

You might want to read this: http://www.castlecops.com/t211853-Help_I_c...Protection.html

I am not sure if that's related to your problem, but...

Good luck.

Okay. I think I have it figured out. I really DID have Returnil on when I installed those. Turning off Returnil requires a little switch-flipping and a reboot; I didn't realise that until I read the handbook. I have that fixed.

All I think that's left now that I used msconfig to kill Comodo's startups that shouldn't be there, is to get the drivers updated. I've been leaving that for last since I'm the least experienced in that. I'd also like to know how to balance USB usage. I'll probably put the mouse in the back, leave the external drive in the front, and the 2nd one in the front could be easily changed from one thing to another as I like. That leaves one left in the back. I would hope filling the USB ports [as long as its not two mice like I wound up doing before] wouldn't make the computer crash again. Does it help if you use a USB hub?

go to control panel

system

hardware

device manager

on menu bar

click view

click show hidden devices

look down on drivers list

look for non-plug and play devices

it should be gray triangle box click on it

look for driver for comodo

uninstall it or disable it

restart your computer

go to control panel

system

hardware

device manager

on menu bar

click view

click show hidden devices

look down on drivers list

look for non-plug and play devices

it should be gray triangle box click on it

look for driver for comodo

uninstall it or disable it

restart your computer

Okay. I did all that. I got the High Definition Audio driver updated. It went without a hitch. The only driver I'm not sure how to update, is the USB driver. It sometimes says its not a high-speed USB but I know it was before the drive was wiped. Do I fix this with a hub, or are there actually drivers for it?

Also, AVG Anti-Spyware is now dimmed out permanently. Will it still protect me?

AVG Anti-Spyware can be used as a compliment scanner along with your Antivirus.

After the trial period is over, back ground protection will cease but you will be able to update and continue using the application.

start/run/ devmgmt.msc / click ok

click on the +

universal serial bus controllers

right click on the usb you want to update

or update them all

put dot in this time only

next

software automatically

next

this is one way to update usb

the other is to post make and model of driver you want to update

Edited by mme