Sign in to follow this  
cL1cKm3.exe

get a free copy of vista ultimate

Those such as Bruce wanting to have their privacy are quite entitled to do so which I fully support, but this is an open arrangement where you can choose to do it or not, they don't try and sneak it on you, as to having full access to what you do as already suggested here use a second PC (assuming you have one) to do the really private things such as banking or buying on the web so they never get that info, all they get is the general surfing as you go through the forums etc, small price for an OS which I couldn't afford any other way IMHO.

Nor do the companies that Bruce listed. They have it all in the license agreement, fair and square. If you don't bother to read license agreements (The first, and most important, piece of documentation available with all operating systems) then frankly you deserve everything that has been thrown at you.

Freedom isn't free, it is priceless.

Well I'm more old school, I'll deal based on trust etc, and IMHO those who read licence agreements are in the minority, I certainly never read them, but then again I do this on the basis that their agreements are there to stop misuse of their product, and that I will only be using it for the purpose it was got for, yes in the ideal world everyone should read every bit of licencing\agreements they ever touch, but in reality very few do\will, and lets face it, as much as you may read it and go by your understanding of it, take it into a court of law and I'll put money on even lawyers saying this is wrong and that is wrong etc, and if they lawyers can't agree then what chance do we stand ?

Ultimately they'll ask every one to do a survey and install tracking software ! the survey should provide sufficient information, that said gives me the creeps, i am not the brightest individual but that alarms me .

I too am old school and deal pretty much based on trust.

Microsoft's record in that regard and the numerous court cases against it, and it's tactics against it's users, schools, corporations, manufacturers and total disregard for the law tells me they are not to be trusted, and to be very careful with any agreement when they are concerned.

In that light, I always read any agreement when they are concerned.

I refuse to allow a software company to have the control to restrict the use of the hardware I purchase. I refuse to allow a software company to limit the use of my computer, but most importantly I refuse to allow a software company the right to delete files on my computer, I refuse to allow a software company the right to disable hardware, limit other software applications, I refuse to let a software company disable or limit functionality based on the drivers I choose to use. I refuse to allow a software company the right to monitor what software, applications, drivers or hardware I use, and lastly I refuse to allow them the right to disable my computer.

They do not own my hardware, they do not own my files, they do not own my multimedia content, they do not own the drivers I use, they do not own the devices I may connect to my computer, and they do not own me.

If you took the time to read the license, and research some of these issues, you would not only find them to be true, but you would find people who have had these restrictions, limitations and intrusions to be true.

I realize most people don't read license agreements, and they are often the first to scream foul or thats not fair when they are affected by the things that I have mentioned.

My reply to them is often, you got what you paid for, and you agreed to let it happen.

Caveat Emptor

Well I'm more old school, I'll deal based on trust etc, and IMHO those who read licence agreements are in the minority, I certainly never read them, but then again I do this on the basis that their agreements are there to stop misuse of their product, and that I will only be using it for the purpose it was got for, yes in the ideal world everyone should read every bit of licencing\agreements they ever touch, but in reality very few do\will, and lets face it, as much as you may read it and go by your understanding of it, take it into a court of law and I'll put money on even lawyers saying this is wrong and that is wrong etc, and if they lawyers can't agree then what chance do we stand ?

This isn't the point. Of course people should be free to blindly accept agreements, but they are fools for doing so, no exceptions.

If you don't read the agreement then it could be a piece of software that steals your credit card details, buys some bullets then sends a robot to shoot you; I wouldn't have an ounce of sympathy because it is in an agreement that you expressly authorised.

I don't disagree with any of that, and yes if some dodgy company was to go to the extremes what you say is quite possible, but as far as m$ as concerned it's a case of better the devil you know, we know they will shaft you anyway they can, so it's no surprise when they do, but as I said previous everything in life has a price, and if that means a few months of letting them track me round forums and doing the occasional jigsaw on shockwave then I'm quite prepared to fore-go my privacy to get something I could not afford otherwise.

<snip>

I too am old school and deal pretty much based on trust.

Microsoft's record in that regard and the numerous court cases against it, and it's tactics against it's users, schools, corporations, manufacturers and total disregard for the law tells me they are not to be trusted, and to be very careful with any agreement when they are concerned.

I refuse to allow a software company to have the control to restrict the use of the hardware I purchase. I refuse to allow a software company to limit the use of my computer, but most importantly I refuse to allow a software company the right to delete files on my computer, I refuse to allow a software company the right to disable hardware, limit other software applications, I refuse to let a software company disable or limit functionality based on the drivers I choose to use. I refuse to allow a software company the right to monitor what software, applications, drivers or hardware I use, and lastly I refuse to allow them the right to disable my computer.

They do not own my hardware, they do not own my files, they do not own my multimedia content, they do not own the drivers I use, they do not own the devices I may connect to my computer, and they do not own me.

Bruce, MS is trying to protect their operating service, as you well know.

I don't agree with all the under-handed ways they deal with this, but it's their product and way to make sure the OS hasn't been pirated.

Now, would you be so kind as to let us know what files MS deletes, what hardware MS disables and what other software/drivers/applications are monitored to be disabled?

Honestly, I'm not being a protagonist in this discussion.

I need to edit once again...this is a survey!

If no one has anything to hide, then I don't see anything wrong with a person who willingly submits them self to the end result (a free copy of Vista Ultimate). Yes, it's expensive, no matter how you look at it!

It's absolutely their choice and not up to one of us to decide what they should or shouldn't do.

Well I understand why you are saying that Bruce. I understand exactly what they are disabling, but in fact it's the software they are disabling. If I don't want to use their software, then my hardware is just fine. They aren't taking it from me. They are just making it a complete pain in the petuti for me to use their software. It will eventually cause them trouble because I will have to switch. I only hope the competiton holds on so we have something to move to. That's where you come in. :P Just keep pushin it.

BTW I went by Publix today and you wouldn't believe the steaks they were disabling and deleting just to keep the price of meat up. Can't sell it, can't reduce the price, so they just throw it out. Hundreds of pounds of filets, strips, Rib steaks, porterhouse. It was way over a $1,000.00 worth of retail meat. They do it so they can hold price and continue to loose money untill they go out of business. The 72 year old butcher that was put out of business by large chains was showing me what he was throwing out in the nights trash. You wouldn't believe it. I bet it killed him to know that the people who drove him out of business are loosing money hand over fist just to hold price on a commodity they drove down to kill the competiton and now they and loosing money to keep it high. At least Microsoft is making money. That's not the case of lots of other industries.

Sho, I understand where you're coming from... prices are simply too high for the average consumer to budget. Hamburger is even too high!

So if the butcher goes out of business because fast food sells for less, is it a one man's choice, or the monopolie's price for meat?

It's all in how you look at it. No one is forcing anyone to buy what they can't afford.

*** ps, steaks are full of cholesterol and bad for the heart :( dang!

<snip>

Bruce, MS is trying to protect their operating service, as you well know.

I don't agree with all the under-handed ways they deal with this, but it's their product and way to make sure the OS hasn't been pirated.

Now, would you be so kind as to let us know what files MS deletes, what hardware MS disables and what other software/drivers/applications are monitored to be disabled?

Honestly, I'm not being a protagonist in this discussion.

DRM, DRM, DRM. Perhaps you are unaware that if you use the wrong driver for say a sound card or video card that DVD playback will be disabled by Microsoft. Or that beautiful digital sound card many people have will no longer play back through it's digital channels if Microsoft doesn't approve of the non-signed driver. Or that they will disable HDMI output, and on and on and on. Or the fact that it will degrade HD content if certain hardware doesn't meet a partners requirements.

What is revocation and where is it used?

Renewal and revocation mechanisms are an important part of providing robust protection for commercial audiovisual content. In the rare event that a revocation is required, Microsoft will work with the affected IHV to ensure that a new driver is made available, ideally in advance of the actual revocation. Revocation only impacts a graphics driver's ability to receive certain commercial audiovisual content; otherwise, the revoked driver will continue to function normally.

Content is not their product, the hardware is not theirs either, and what hardware is attached is certainly not theirs either. Disabling a users driver capabilities and or content playback through DRM because MS does not approve of a driver is just :filtered:.

As for disabling hardware, well Steve aka Shogan can tell you how installing a simple driver has disabled his computer forcing him to call Microsoft to ask them for permission to use his computer. :lol:

AS far as forcing people goes, well the average consumer walks into a store to buy a computer, they don't have a choice to buy anything but a windows computer so in essence they are forced to use windows. They change a driver, and all of a sudden that wonderful sound card or video card will no longer playback HD content, basically making that wonderful HDTV screen they hooked it up to a 3000 dollar slug. Or the computer is slammed into reduced functionality mode or completely disabled until the call MS and ask for permission to use their computer again.

You may consider it an "inconvenience" or pain in the petuti, the average person won't understand what the hell is going on, or won't understand why it is happening and how to correct it.

They buy these "multimedia PC's" for ..................guess what :lol: multimedia :P only to find that if they don't jump through all the MS hoops perfectly and exactly the way MS wants, then it's high end capabilities are reduced to garbage or disabled completely.

For some folks, multimedia content, HD content, and high end hardware designed for its high end digital capabilities are the reasons for buying those multimedia computers and High Def LCD TV's. The DRM built into Vista can negate it all with the click of a mouse.

Digital Rights Manglement, pushes me further and further away from MS all the time.

Their licensing simply put has pushed me away from using their products completely.

Simply put, I won't pay more for the software to run my 5 computers, then I did to build them. I certainly can't agree to let them to have more "legal" control over my computers then I have myself.

I of course have options, as do others who have a little knowledge about alternatives. However the average mom and pop only know that all of a sudden their "computer" doesn't work anymore, or certain aspects of the hardware that is in it don't work anymore, to them it just doesn't work. This is by design.

Wait a minute! Can we go back a little bit...they can send robots to my house to

shoot me. Yikes! :surrender: And steaks are bad for my heart? Ooouch I

sure hope you mean the wooden kind.

Edited by Humbluemoon

I need to edit once again...this is a survey!

If no one has anything to hide, then I don't see anything wrong with a person who willingly submits them self to the end result (a free copy of Vista Ultimate). Yes, it's expensive, no matter how you look at it!

It's absolutely their choice and not up to one of us to decide what they should or shouldn't do.

Yes it is. But we are perfectly entitled to advise them against selling their freedom for a few hundred dollars. We're also entitled to laugh hysterically when they go ahead and do it anyway.

Well said tito, your couple of sentences has summed it up perfectly, I surely couldn't have said it better. :tup:

Your K.I.S.S statement says it all, so I need say no more. :cheers:

Well I can assure you what they'd get out of me wouldn't be a patch on what I'd get out of them lol :P Just because I'd be willing to do it if I could, it doesn't mean everything you've said they can\will do will happen to me, if you think their tracking me going round a handful of PC or phone forums and playing the odd jigsaw would be the equivalent of giving them my sole you are sorely mistaken, it's walking a tightrope a bit but anything I did on a PC with their tracking me they would get extremely little info back, they can follow me doing the rounds for a year who cares, but anything such as banking or shopping will be done on another system, I wouldn't be going into it with my eyes closed, but at the end of the day it's a moot point anyway as it's only for the US, but if you wanted to send me a copy of vista ultimate for free to not do such a survey if I could then I'd happily not do it, but for some like me it's probably the only way I could afford such a thing.

what is all this? you all have crossed the line and not the first.

nm, sometimes i forget what forum i'm on, no wonder this place isnt as active as it used to be.

anyway, there are millions of people who like offers such as this, there are also millions of other types of offers with catch 22's and other stuff that goes along with free stuff, just look at cell phone industry for example. you can laugh at them all you want but some dont have choices with $$$ if they want it and some dont mind the catch or obligations.(if you have ever gotten a free cell or done similar offer then your being a hypocrite if your posting against this offer) i was trying to pass information along for ONLY those people who would be interested in offers like this, they do not need babysitters and no one is forcing it. also the internet is not a communist society, information should be freely available regardless of your personal dislike.

forgive me for trying to do something nice. once again this forum has proven how rude and inconsiderate some can be.

forcing your opinions onto others about how someone should use their computer or anything else is not nice however, some of you are not sharing, your forcing opinions by repeated posts of same thing and arguing/belittling anyone that says otherwise, so do not even try to say your merely expressing or discussing, some of you are just repeating amongst yourselves and arguing offtopic tid-bits in vain hopes to try to persuade someone to think lik you...thats forcing!

you shouldnt use persuasive tactics on people, this isnt red china, you offer people information if they want it. facts or experience, not biased opinions and how some of you turn any software subject into a subliminal Linux Advertisement i'll never know, but i'm sure those skills could be good at selling automobiles.

Obviously...as i shouldnt have to remind anyone, you do have the right to express opinions, if you want to post links/quote to accurate information thats fine but keep it in a related topic please and not hijack mine. this is about an MS offer, not their use of DRM in their OS...this has nothing to do with OS's!! its just a selectable product if you choose.

for those here that display these kinds of * behavior, i dont expect them to understand from anything i say, so please dont waste my time trying to argue how you think i'm wrong cause i already know some of you here just love to do nothing but produce negativity or try to flame someone, i dont care your thoughts about what has been "offtopicly" said here, plus most of you will mis-read/half-read this post anyway, so i wont be reading this topic any further.

anyway, back on topic and hopefully a closed thread after this. as many probably already know, i was nearly a day late with the thread and a day late with this info. MS has already enough people signed up that they are out of the offered products, i was just trying to help but i dont have time to keep that current. lots of people signed up quite quickly it seems. i just barely made it by 1 hour, sorry about any inconvenince my late info imposed

I love tech talk, you can reply to comments and discuss technical aspects of the topic from how it effects an individual user or device ! that said games & gear / deals would have been the appropriate place for this topic, however its here and will be discussed keeping the rules in mind.

Well TBH I'm glad Bruce shared his knowledge\experience of this here, as I'd never of known some of the things he was explaining, I still can't see it being an issue to me, I can't even think of what it would even take to get stuff like that happen to you, but without his input I'd never of known about it, but being UK I will never get such an opportunity to find out, so it's all good IMHO.

what is all this? you all have crossed the line and not the first.

nm, sometimes i forget what forum i'm on, no wonder this place isnt as active as it used to be.

anyway, there are millions of people who like offers such as this, there are also millions of other types of offers with catch 22's and other stuff that goes along with free stuff, just look at cell phone industry for example. you can laugh at them all you want but some dont have choices with $$$ if they want it and some dont mind the catch or obligations.(if you have ever gotten a free cell or done similar offer then your being a hypocrite if your posting against this offer) i was trying to pass information along for ONLY those people who would be interested in offers like this, they do not need babysitters and no one is forcing it. also the internet is not a communist society, information should be freely available regardless of your personal dislike.

forgive me for trying to do something nice. once again this forum has proven how rude and inconsiderate some can be.

forcing your opinions onto others about how someone should use their computer or anything else is not nice however, some of you are not sharing, your forcing opinions by repeated posts of same thing and arguing/belittling anyone that says otherwise, so do not even try to say your merely expressing or discussing, some of you are just repeating amongst yourselves and arguing offtopic tid-bits in vain hopes to try to persuade someone to think lik you...thats forcing!

you shouldnt use persuasive tactics on people, this isnt red china, you offer people information if they want it. facts or experience, not biased opinions and how some of you turn any software subject into a subliminal Linux Advertisement i'll never know, but i'm sure those skills could be good at selling automobiles.

Obviously...as i shouldnt have to remind anyone, you do have the right to express opinions, if you want to post links/quote to accurate information thats fine but keep it in a related topic please and not hijack mine. this is about an MS offer, not their use of DRM in their OS...this has nothing to do with OS's!! its just a selectable product if you choose.

for those here that display these kinds of * behavior, i dont expect them to understand from anything i say, so please dont waste my time trying to argue how you think i'm wrong cause i already know some of you here just love to do nothing but produce negativity or try to flame someone, i dont care your thoughts about what has been "offtopicly" said here, plus most of you will mis-read/half-read this post anyway, so i wont be reading this topic any further.

anyway, back on topic and hopefully a closed thread after this. as many probably already know, i was nearly a day late with the thread and a day late with this info. MS has already enough people signed up that they are out of the offered products, i was just trying to help but i dont have time to keep that current. lots of people signed up quite quickly it seems. i just barely made it by 1 hour, sorry about any inconvenince my late info imposed

Yup, this isn't communist china so don't advise people against installing spyware.

disregard if already mentioned, just came across it thought i'd share

in exchange for 3 months of your privacy...take some surveys every two weeks for 3 months

you get a choice of:

* Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit and 64-bit DVD)

* Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007

* Microsoft Money Plus Premium

* Microsoft Student with Encarta Premium 2008

* Microsoft Streets and Trips 2008

free in the mail afterwards

http://wfp.microsoft.com/

http://wfp.microsoft.com/AboutPanel.aspx

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums. I'll be posting my bio in the Tech Talk as a separate post. I saw this post and thought I would look into it. I'm going to try it and give feedback of the experience here. I'll let you know if it is a spyware to track MS software or if it really is a survey that will help MS products.

So, here I go into the open!

LT