Sign in to follow this  
zizou

Flashing BIOS without floppy drive?

My current Gigabyte motherboard BIOS version doesn't support the Opteron 170 cpu that i am going to install. So it is necessary that i flash my BIOS before i install the cpu.

Now the question is, how do i flash my BIOS without a floppy drive? My motherboard supports Q-Flash, so flashing is alot easier. However, it still requires a floppy disk. I have read from other sources about burning a floppy disk image onto a CD-R, and burning the new BIOS version together onto the CD-R, so the CD acts like a floppy. Any suggestions?

Yep, one suggestion. Tell us what Gigabyte board you have so we can check their site. Most later boards include a bios flash utility. Did you check your motherboard cd for such a utility? Gigabytes website?

Wish I could help.

I'll be interested to find out how this is possible without a floppy drive. I've always thought Dell was stupid for starting the trend toward not installing floppy drives in computers. They come in handy from time to time. Think SATA drivers and bios flashes just for starters. -kd5-

My current Gigabyte motherboard BIOS version doesn't support the Opteron 170 cpu that i am going to install. So it is necessary that i flash my BIOS before i install the cpu.

Now the question is, how do i flash my BIOS without a floppy drive? My motherboard supports Q-Flash, so flashing is alot easier. However, it still requires a floppy disk. I have read from other sources about burning a floppy disk image onto a CD-R, and burning the new BIOS version together onto the CD-R, so the CD acts like a floppy. Any suggestions?

I have such a boot CD, create a long time ago.

I now can just burn the bios files to another CD.

Boot with floppy image on the CD, once up and running, I pop in the bios CD and run the necessary bios exe. It works perfectly.