Sign in to follow this  
Viking

XP SP2 -

Yep, here's at least one SP1 user left out here, we are not extinct. :geezer:

For a long time I've had this SP2 CD that Microsoft sent me. I've not installed it. Why?

1.) I don't like the SP2 layout. I hate the security panel and the icon it puts in the sys tray. :pullhair:

2.) I have manually fixed some of the security holes that SP2 fixes. (And maybe some that SP2 does not fix.) :cr@sh:

3.) I rely on many third party security programs. My belief is that MS will never make XP safe anyway. I trust the third party software only.

I just was at Win Update and looked, for the second or third time this year. No new updates as usual (except for the malware tool). In other words no reboot this time... :b33r:;)

Looked in the update log. Except for the malware tool, only the Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB918899) has been available the last 13 months. (And this little bugger had to be installed 9 times last year.)

Now I invite you to lecture me on what a dangerous life I'm living. Can you really convince me to bite the grass and install SP2?

XP Pro SP1

If you want to continue to recieve updates for Windows, you need SP2.

Give me a few months, and I can write a virus to infect your computer, but make it so it only affects SP1 if you would prefer. :P

Edited by brandon

If you want to continue to recieve updates for Windows, you need SP2.

Give me a few months, and I can write a virus to infect your computer, but make it so it only affects SP1 if you would prefer.

But you would have to make it slip through my always updated antivirus, and you would also need to find me.

:b33r:

But you would have to make it slip through my always updated antivirus, and you would also need to find me.

:b33r:

I know your IP address. It's 127.0.0.1 :P

Get SP2. The security center can be disabled.

2.) I have manually fixed some of the security holes that SP2 fixes. (And maybe some that SP2 does not fix.)

how can you fix it ....if you havent installed it (service pack 2 )

Can you really convince me to bite the grass and install SP2?

how can you fix it ....if you havent installed it (service pack 2 )

Settings here and there. I changed a lot in IE (but I quit using IE later). And I have disabled a bunch of services. I don't remember everything I did.

Now I invite you to lecture me on what a dangerous life I'm living. Can you really convince me to bite the grass and install SP2?

No lectures today, I learned my lesson. :lol:

your anti-virus wouldn't do a thing against a virus wrote to infect only your pc since a virus scanner usually works off a background of previously discovered viruses. this would be (most likely) totally new, and thus undecteable (most likely) by your software, lol.

anyways, SP2 includes a bunch of improvements to the os, all of which can more or less be turned off to make it feel like sp1. i'd suggest getting it as soon you won't be able to get updates for sp1

Sp2 is an update worth getting right now tbh.

I'm like you. One of those people that like the windows OS as it is, and hates changing it. But, i was pleasantly surprised at how good SP2 is.

If you want to continue to receive updates for Windows, you need SP2.

That and there are also programs starting to show up that won't install/run unless SP2 is installed (most Adobe products require SP2 at a minimum for example).

I doubt it. I have even seen some driver updates that require SP2 at a minimum; get the right driver with only SP1 installed, and you won't be updating your drivers.

Service Pack 2 includes a great many bug fixes and security enhancements, the Security Center (that pesky icon in the systray + bothersome reminders) can be readily disabled.

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...ecurity_ale.htm

The only problems you might have would be installing SP2 on a OS installation that's not cleaned up, defragmented, with antivirus & antispyware scans showing as clean. You don't want to install SP2 on an already corrupted XP installation or your computer may very well not boot up following the update.

SP2 is highly recommended, you'll be surprised at the number of updates you'll find at Windows Update once SP2 is installed (perhaps you've seen the message telling you that many updates are not available for computers that aren't SP2 patched?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx -kd5-

No lectures today, I learned my lesson. :lol:

What?! Are you shy? :P

your anti-virus wouldn't do a thing against a virus wrote to infect only your pc since a virus scanner usually works off a background of previously discovered viruses. this would be (most likely) totally new, and thus undecteable (most likely) by your software, lol.

In what ways can I get a virus?

1. Email. Very unlikely because I hardly get any mail, and I know what to do with attachments if I didn't expect one. Same for chat programs.

2. Attack. Not too likely because of stealth and dynamic IP.

3. Browsing an infected web page. I see this as the biggest risk. But I don't use IE and I don't use ActiveX in my browser.

What can protect me from these 3 risks? It is the third party security software.

If I stop using the security softwares and start to use IE again, then of course I'll get some infection in no time.

If I fully update the OS, how many viruses will the latest patches protect me against? One in a thousand? It would protect me against drive-bys and some things, but I think this is a job for security software.

That and there are also programs starting to show up that won't install/run unless SP2 is installed (most Adobe products require SP2 at a minimum for example).

Yes, the Java said it needed SP2. But I found it worked well under SP1.

Service Pack 2 includes a great many bug fixes and security enhancements, the Security Center (that pesky icon in the systray + bothersome reminders) can be readily disabled.

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...ecurity_ale.htm

The only problems you might have would be installing SP2 on a OS installation that's not cleaned up, defragmented, with antivirus & antispyware scans showing as clean. You don't want to install SP2 on an already corrupted XP installation or your computer may very well not boot up following the update.

SP2 is highly recommended, you'll be surprised at the number of updates you'll find at Windows Update once SP2 is installed (perhaps you've seen the message telling you that many updates are not available for computers that aren't SP2 patched?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx -kd5-

Thank you, if I can shut off all of that bleep, then I'll consider SP2 again. :tup:

There are approx. 85 updates after you install SP2, You're much better off with SP2. Be sure to read this before installing SP2 and follow the guide exactly as they suggest for minimum problems

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm

I have already 200 patches installed, I guess 85 more is like nothing. :thud::surrender:

Thanks for the link.

I have just connected a PC that has been "seperated" from the internet for the past 2 years. It was running SP1, but knowing the lack of support for this, upgraded it to SP2, and suddenly 82 updates to d/l.

My advice get sp2 keep yourself updated, you can always turn off what you don't need...

viking, i was refering ot the comment brandon made about writing a virus just to attack your pc with, lol.

it's easy enough to find your pc on the internet since dynamic IP address from the ISP don't change all that often. and if you're "stealthing" your IP, something has to know what your IP is so you actually get the traffic you request, so that's not all that solid. only way to really try and hide would be to start routing through multiple annonymous proxies, but that starts to get into a lot of work there, and is still traceable.

viking, i was refering ot the comment brandon made about writing a virus just to attack your pc with, lol.

it's easy enough to find your pc on the internet since dynamic IP address from the ISP don't change all that often. and if you're "stealthing" your IP, something has to know what your IP is so you actually get the traffic you request, so that's not all that solid. only way to really try and hide would be to start routing through multiple annonymous proxies, but that starts to get into a lot of work there, and is still traceable.

I'll do it, I'm crazy! :yikes:

I think your ready for Linux.

10 points to Lou. :surrender:

Traceable for who? People that receive email from me, and webmasters can see my I.P, but that hacker in South Korea or California or Russia that doesn't know me, will he ever look for me? They can ping and scan a range of IP's and ports, but they are not getting any response. (Other than from their own ISP when someone report them.)

All I need is to trace you is to have you click a link on one of my websites. I can look at my site log, find out your ip, use a whois service, and I know the city, country, and even neighborhood you live in.

Privacy does not exist on the internet.

All it takes is for someone to be interested in any information you have, and if said person is sufficiently skilled, you are SOL.

Edit: Of course, if you were using Linux, the amount of damage able to be done will be severely limited, but with any OS, you need to take proper security measures, such as using limited user accounts, and having the latest updates.

Edited by brandon

i'm talking about one person that you have made contact with, lol. even posting here on the pit, your IP has been loged.

Brandon is not a staff member, so he should not have that access. I don't know what web sites he have, but why should I visit them? I don't even know about them.

I'm for the most part visiting "boring" web sites, so I believe I am at low risk.

And viruses, how can Windows (updated or not) resist them? That's why I have antivirus and firewall!

Have you ever heard about a virus that was stopped by the Windows OS?