Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

How Does Vista Compare to Automobiles, Bologna & ME

Steve Hogan,

You are possibly the best writer that PCPitsop has ever had.

Well thought out articles that are easy to read, understand and have enough information to be enjoyable.

Please keep up the "great" work.

Mr. Hogan,

A good article, but you must be kidding in saying that Vista has networking advantages. I don't know of any that cannot be obtained in XP, especially Pro. What I do know is that Vista can cripple an existing network in more ways than I can quickly say. It can also just completely cripple a peer-to-peer network that has mixed OS types. Of course, so can IE7. I won't allow either one on my networks. Of course, I strongly discourage the use of IE anything, because of the huge vulnerabilities, many unresolved over years.

Great article Steve, I read you article first when I get the newsletter.

While I agree with all of your points, there is one big difference from ME and the Vista machines I have worked on so far and use myself.

Performance, reliablilty, and day to day use for the average home user....ME had memory leaks, having to reset power several times a day, and BSOD'd on a regular basis.

From what I have seen with Vista so far, they can run for weeks without a reboot or a BSOD. I run 2 of them myself and have worked on several, without either of those issues. While the hardware requirements are "to the moon", HW is so cheap now that isn't really an issue.

While there really isn't anything that it offers that I can't do with XP, I do think overall it is much more reliable and stable that ME.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

Dave

Another anti Vista hate rave....yawn...what a load of rubbish.

I along with millions of other users of Vista have found it to be a very good OS,entirely worthy as a follow on to XP..which I ran for 5 years prior to Vista.

I am a hardware enthusiast,change components often and have had virtually no problems at all with Vista in general desktop use,gaming or business apps.

It looks better,is more stable,has infinitely better connectivity with exterior hardware and is far more secure than XP ever has or will.

Why don't you get off the Vista hate wagon and stick with your beloved(and worshipped apparently)XP and allow the people that actually OWN a retail copy of Vista a modicum of intelligence in their OS choice.I have both OS CD's right beside my PC and would reinstall XP in a heartbeat if it were anywhere near as nice to use or look at.

I can't wait to look back in a year or so and watch all the Vista FUD magically turn to "Hey I've been a Vista fan all along"......how quickly one forgets the howls of derision XP received upon release from all the Win 2000/98 users.

You have a simple remedy for all your OS stress....stick with XP...I know that will drastically cut down on your plans for a regular Vista bashing article....but hey...thats why you went to journalism school right?

I along with millions of other users of Vista have found it to be a very good OS,entirely worthy as a follow on to XP..which I ran for 5 years prior to Vista.

I am a hardware enthusiast,change components often and have had virtually no problems at all with Vista in general desktop use,gaming or business apps.

It looks better,is more stable,has infinitely better connectivity with exterior hardware and is far more secure than XP ever has or will.

Why don't you get off the Vista hate wagon and stick with your beloved(and worshipped apparently)XP and allow the people that actually OWN a retail copy of Vista a modicum of intelligence in their OS choice.I have both OS CD's right beside my PC and would reinstall XP in a heartbeat if it were anywhere near as nice to use or look at.

I can't wait to look back in a year or so and watch all the Vista FUD magically turn to "Hey I've been a Vista fan all along"......how quickly one forgets the howls of derision XP received upon release from all the Win 2000/98 users.

You have a simple remedy for all your OS stress....stick with XP...I know that will drastically cut down on your plans for a regular Vista bashing article....but hey...thats why you went to journalism school right?

Vista gets bashed, because it deserves to get bashed. Ever tried to play HD content on your PC? Not gonna happen. Of course, you could buy a video card that supports HDMI, a very expensive HDMI cable, a very expensive HDMI compatible monitor, and maybe you'll get lucky, and it will play. XP has no such problem. Not to mention that Vista isn't even compatible with some monitors, and will just blank out the screen instead of working.

UAC: It's so much of a pest that most people disable it, once they find out how to. That makes it no more secure than XP.

Vista's new driver model isn't any better than XPs either, and it forced every hardware maker to either not release drivers for Vista due to the cost, or completely rewrite the drivers, which often resulted in buggy, crash prone drivers.

Vista is a joke. And it's the slowest selling Windows OS to date also. But, I must say, where Vista outright fails, it gives alternative OSes such as Linux, and Mac OSX room to shine. So go ahead Vista, keep sucking. You'll make it better for everyone else.

Edited by brandon

Hey guys...settle down :pullhair:

Getting a little "off topic" here though. The article wasn't about Vista vs XP. It was about Vista vs ME....

Biiiggg difference. ME was about a big a flop as they come...jury still out on Vista.

Hey guys...settle down :pullhair:

Getting a little "off topic" here though. The article wasn't about Vista vs XP. It was about Vista vs ME....

Biiiggg difference. ME was about a big a flop as they come...jury still out on Vista.

Not quite. That title solely belongs to Windows.

Not quite. That title solely belongs to Windows.

Umm???? OK? :boxing:

The title:

How Does Vista Compare to Automobiles, Bologna & ME

Throw out the silly Cars and Buloney and all I see is Vista and ME. Vista vs XP is a whole other argument for another day. Big difference. Did someone get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? :chill:

My mattress is one-sided. And I'm sure you can guess what side that is. :P

It just gets me riled up when someone attacks a well-thought out article, and has no evidence to back up his claims. I can back up my claims about how much Vista sucks all day, but xray provided no proof of why Vista doesn't deserve to be bashed.

Edited by brandon

:P All opinions welcome. This thread kinda needed a differnce of opinion. I know there are many people who like Vista. I tried Vista starting with all the pre release versions, betas, RC1s, and all. I was really looking forward to it. I am still using it on a laptop several times a week. I'm just not impressed with it. I've thought about taking it off the laptop but I don't use it enough to worry with. I did remove it from my desktop though. I'm sure Xray is right and that eventually it will become a popular and well thought of OS. I just don't think that's the case yet. From the way the poll is shaping up it looks like ME remains the winner.

Keep the opinions coming guys. They are all appreciated.

Steve Hogan asks whether we should compare Vista to ME...

http://www.pcpitstop.com/news/vistacompare.asp

"It has a nice all-be-it resource-costly interface"

It seems apparent that Steve had some issues regarding Vista that he really wanted to vent and that he did so in a "well thought out" mannger (he then had some issues regarding "well thought out" to vent).

So, Steve wrote a well-thought-out article about Vista problems. He wasn't interested in writing about Vista's positive points: vastly enhanced media handling; improved parental controls; improved backup and restore; improved encryption of personal files; improved firewall; greatly enhanced user-interface graphics capabilities; etc. Maybe it was an assignment to write a rip-and-torch article, maybe he volunteered, maybe he just needed to get issues off his chest; whatever, his intent was to hit on Vista's problems, not it's positives.

Just don't go away thinking that Vista is all bad. Oh, and also, please don't go write something and use the phrase "all-be-it". It would be unfortunate to see that phrase propagated into widespread use just because it was read in a Steve Hogan article. In place of the phrase, Steve should have used the word "albeit" (although; even if).

"It has a nice all-be-it resource-costly interface"

It seems apparent that Steve had some issues regarding Vista that he really wanted to vent and that he did so in a "well thought out" mannger (he then had some issues regarding "well thought out" to vent).

So, Steve wrote a well-thought-out article about Vista problems. He wasn't interested in writing about Vista's positive points: vastly enhanced media handling; improved parental controls; improved backup and restore; improved encryption of personal files; improved firewall; greatly enhanced user-interface graphics capabilities; etc.

How is the media handling "vastly enhanced"? If you call crippling playback of HD content on Vista systems that don't have an HDMI compatible monitor and video card "vastly improved media handling", then yes, you'd be right. If you also call the incompatibility with almost every codec on the planet out there with 64bit Vista as "vastly improved media handling", then you would also be correct. Vista handles media worse than XP. At least XP doesn't have DRM crap built in.

Parental Controls: http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&...-8&oe=utf-8

Improved backup & restore: http://forums.hexus.net/mesh-care-hexus-cu...em-restore.html

Encryption: TrueCrypt does a far better job, and you don't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for the privilege.

Vista's firewall is practically anemic compared to Comodo firewall, which is free to download & use forever. Again, you don't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for the privilege.

Greatly enhanced user-interface graphics capabilities:

, and:
Can Vista do that?

Every single "enhancement" in Vista could have been ported to XP, or has been done already.

Edited by brandon

I'm sure everyone here, who has chatted with me since I joined, can agree I would be considered an "average" user. I have no technological understanding of computers and use them purely for personal entertainment. My opinion is I wish Dell offered the ability to chose to get a downgrade to XP.

I really can't stand Vista. The continuous annoying pop-ups, that seems to be their sole reason for existing. I never had a security problem with XP, once I was told what free programs to download from the gurus here. I have about as much stuff shutoff as I can possibly do on my own and have just over half my ram remaining and this is a 2G ram laptop.

I am aggravated that I have to go into a programs compatibility section and tell it to run as administrator, then right click on the icon and tell it again to run as administrator in order to run a program (IE. Everquest).

what a geeky thread. If the OS gives what someone needs and wants on a personal level based on how they use it, then whats the rest of your guys's problem?

some of you are like *omg, hes using something i hate and here are my reasons ***, lets give him biased 411 and they will all change thier minds and maybe use what i want them to*

i mean i understand some of you are just wanting to discuss it only to find others who agree with you, but it seems somewhat pointless.

Edited by cL1cKm3.exe

yawn...another brainwashed vista fanboi... what a pile of rubbish...

I am NOT a vista fan at all - with the specs my brand new laptop has, it would fly with XP installed and yet it crawls with Vista installed - and most of the "features" turned off. It's a memory and a hard-drive hog, hands down. It might might run okay on my desktop - but I doubt it would make any better impression on me on a machine with over twice the processor speed and 3 times the ram... if I had an install disk that would work on an HP (my desktop is a Dell, my laptop is an HP) I'd run that in a heartbeat and get rid of the buggy too-quickly-released fiasco that is Vista. Now IF Microsoft released a service pack that would help with the memory strangulation and fix the other issues with Vista, then I might change my tune but until that day, I will view using Vista as a necesary evil - one that came with my laptop with NO option to go with XP.

As far as gaming, I've had issues with Vista running NWN (the first one), KOTOR (1 and 2), and some other games I play... I haven't even attempted to run Guild Wars or any other MMORPG's. The ONLY game I have not had any issues with is NWN2. With business apps, I have Office 2007 on my laptop and I've had issues with that as well as with adobe reader. It even crawls while online (I have a DSL connection) - it's like I'm on dialup... and this occurs when the laptop is the only computer that is using the internet on my connection.

The ONLY thing I agree with you about is that Vista is a better-looking OS - but for far less than the cost of a new OS, one could go to stardock.com and buy the latest version of windowblinds, then go to wincustomize.com, register for a year's subscription, download some themes, and make XP (or Vista for that matter) look totally different. Or there are other freeware themes out there that work with the built-in XP theme manager.

As far as my "howls of derision" upon the release of XP - there were none! I was seriouly jonesin' for something a lot more stable and better looking than ME, and it was there as promised with XP.

i would call myself a computer expert, and i downgraded back to xp. i love a lot of things about vista, uac being one of them, but being that my computer is my #1 media outlet in my bedroom i don't want any part of drm.

vista-drm=100% better than xp

Yeah, we probably need to approach what we can actually do, besides not use Vista, to stop or restrict the use of DRM. I know a lot of people feel like you bb.