Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d0nut

Mobo source wanted in UK

I want to upgrade my motherboard, but really don't know where to start. Anyone in the UK can suggest an outlet and recommend a reliable board?

Looked in the wants and for sale section, but all sellers are in the U.S.

Cheers.

d0nut

Yes they are very good, and their CS is great, but they aren't always the cheapest, ebuyer.com is great for price, but you can sometimes feel your banging your head against a wall with them as their CS is only as good as the person you end up dealing with, if nothing goes wrong your laughing, and thats the case most of the time, but when it goes wrong it can be a right swine, also be warned if your area is bad with city link watch out as thats who ebuyer use, and many people have a nightmare time, but this is down too city link not ebuyer, you just can't choose another courier at this time, so find out what your city link is like before you use them for peace of mind.

d0nut,

Tell us more about what you have--post your specs; do a Pit test so we can see what you have. IMO, the two things that will make the most difference in your performance are the CPU speed and the amount of RAM you have. The third would be a top-rated hard drive, that spins at at least 7200 RPM and is SATA. If your current mobo doesn't support SATA, then obviously, that would be a reason to move up too, but again, there is the added expense of a SATA drive.

Generally speaking, top of the line motherboards are very expensive and not worth the money unless you are moving to a new CPU also, another expense. I, personally, stepped down from a mobo 680i chipset to 650i, I believe, to save about $100. Now you can probably get a 680 for what I paid for a 650--that's how technology goes. My guess would be that there is something better than a 680 now, but I haven't checked (I like to sleep at night).

If you want to move to a processor that has two or more cores from one that has only one core, I would say, yeah, buy a new motherboard. Otherwise it would be more economical to put the fastest CPU your current board supports and double your RAM. This would be a dead end solution, yes, but...ask yourself what do you really need and want to spend? Tell us that too.

Edit: You can see by my specs below, I have a Core 2 Duo; my mobo supports a quad core. Would I like a quad core? Sure. Do I need a quad core? No. Do I have any money? No. Love my Core 2 Duo.

:)

there's a good link in custom PCs,case mods,overclocking :- http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=114745

but personally I'd try and ask 1 of the usa pitstop users you talk to, to get what you need off newegg after sending them the money and take the risk of tax at this end, think it would work out cheaper anyway. ;)