Sign in to follow this  
Eilrach

Problem obtaining license key

I just installed Optimize on my new PC, and I'm trying to get my license key. Using the Customer Service option has been returning an error, so I figured I'd post here.

I assume my e-mail address doesn't needed to be posted for an admin, but if it does let me know.

**EDIT** Customer Service is working again (for me at least), so I was able to get my license key.

Edited by Eilrach

:wp:

Glad to hear you got it working. Thanks for letting us know there was an issue.

How long does it take to get license key after purchase?

:wp:

How long does it take to get license key after purchase?

Should be right away. I'll check your order.

Edit: You have email.

'Right away' is what the advertising seemed to promise, but so far it has been four days and still counting. And that's just to get the key.

It appears the email I used to order and pay for Optimise keeps returning either that the email is "Not in your database", and on other occasions, that the email is "In use by another member".

So, I used another email, to be able to register into this forum, and you returned links to that email, but because I did not order and pay by the I cannot get my Optimise key.

We require that you "validate" your registration to ensure that

the email address you entered was correct. This protects against

unwanted spam and malicious abuse.

Obviously, because you have locked up my order and payment email awjulso it cannot function, this other email is invalid

We do not 'lock up' email addresses. I sent your license key directly to your hotmail address. Did you get that email?

Your Optimize order is separate from forum registrtion. The two items are not related.

Optimize runs directly from your computer. You do not need to be at our website or even have a browser open to either use the program or obtain your license key.

If you do a lookup from this page http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp using you r hotmail address, the key will be sent to the hotmail address. I just used it and it did not retunr an error message.

We do not 'lock up' email addresses.

When I said 'lock up', I meant render non-functional, where one page for retrieving my key said it wasn't in the database for four days until I tried it just now when it finally worked, and yet when I tried to use it to register at this forum in order to contact you, it then said it was already in use by another member.

I sent your license key directly to your hotmail address. Did you get that email?

If you do a lookup from this page http://www.pcpitstop.com/store/service.asp using you r hotmail address, the key will be sent to the hotmail address. I just used it and it did not retunr an error message.

I have gotten neither the email you sent directly, nor the email from the service.asp link. This was the first the service.asp page did not return the 'not in database' error to me, but instead 'Message Sent'. Unfortunately as I said, 'Message May Have Been Sent, but has not been received yet'.

To test my , I just sent a test email from my other and that email message went through in less than one minute.

Your Optimize order is separate from forum registrtion. The two items are not related.

I got confused when I tried to register at this forum using my same email that I used for purchase, but there was an error that this same email was already in use by another member. So, it appeared to me your purchase database was linked to your forum database.

Optimize runs directly from your computer. You do not need to be at our website or even have a browser open to either use the program or obtain your license key.

Running Optimise has never been a problem. The only problem has been to actually get the key.

Best, Archie

We are very sorry for the delay in getting your key to you. It is possible our emails to you are being filtered as spam.

I have both sent it to your com.au address and sent it to you in a forum private message.

Please let me know if you get either one, and for security reasons I will be editing your email addresses from these posts.

We are very sorry for the delay in getting your key to you. It is possible our emails to you are being filtered as spam.

I have both sent it to your com.au address and sent it to you in a forum private message.

Please let me know if you get either one, and for security reasons I will be editing your email addresses from these posts.

Thanks. I now have the key.

I revisited the page to retrieve the key, and this time I more carefully read the 'Message Sent' page, which alerted me to the possibility that for my hotmail.com email, I may have to look into the 'Bulk' folder. When I did, about four messages containing the key were awaiting me. The receipt email came through originally okay, so I wasn't figuring there was a problem such that I should look in Bulk.

One thing is that when I ran Optimise in order to insert the new key, it asked if I wanted to look for updates, and I said 'Yes'. After that, and then running Optimise, it hung about 75% down the 'process' frame in the opening page, and then my computer went through a number of BSODs and reboot funks, even when I booted into 'Safe Mode'. This continued despite pressing the hardware reset button several times. And it happened after a minute or two even when I didn't try to run anything after booting up. On one bootup occasion, I got a message Explorer had done an illegal op, and no icons, taskbar, or anything else except the mouse arrow and plain green background displayed.

This morning, I have at least been able to stay operating for a couple of hours using my Opera browser, so maybe a power cycle actually does what a hardware reset cannot. MS Word locks up. And I noticed in Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, that the drop down menu to select a program to remove, has been totally deleted after installing Optimise. That is, there are zero programs listed, and so if I wanted to select one to remove, I cannot. I did uninstall Optimise from its own link on the Optimise window, but that did not restore Add Remove Programs in Control Panel.

It would appear these problems would be what Optimise should fix. Is it possible my machine is too buggered for even Optimise?

Best, Archie

Optimize has a roll-back option, but as the program has been uninstalled, that may no longer be available. You can try reinstalling the program then checking on the first screen to see if the 'restore system settings' options is selectable.

Otherwise, to get back your Add/Remove, you will need to do a Windows System Restore for XP and Vista and a scanreg/restore for earlier versions.

If you are running a version earlier than XP, after five reboots you will no longer be able to use scanreg /restore to retrieve the information.

Please post a Tech Express link so we can take a look at your computer. If you haven't done that before, this should help:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/html/helpfiles/techexphelp.htm

Optimize comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Let me know if a refund is in order.

Optimize has a roll-back option, but as the program has been uninstalled, that may no longer be available. You can try reinstalling the program then checking on the first screen to see if the 'restore system settings' options is selectable.

Otherwise, to get back your Add/Remove, you will need to do a Windows System Restore for XP and Vista and a scanreg/restore for earlier versions.

If you are running a version earlier than XP, after five reboots you will no longer be able to use scanreg /restore to retrieve the information.

I am running Win98SE.

Please post a Tech Express link so we can take a look at your computer. If you haven't done that before, this should help:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/html/helpfiles/techexphelp.htm

I had trouble bringing up the Meadco page from the PCPitStop site, so I went directly there and downloaded Meadco_Neptune.exe. I ran it, said I wanted to install it, and agreed to the licence, but then got an error message, 'Error loading advpack.dll'.

Also, a few months ago I upgraded my ADSL from 1.5Mbps to 8.0Mbps. I kept only getting 1.5Mbps, until I researched and found DrTCP, which provides instructions for the enduser to set the Receive Window and MTU, 200000 and 1462 respectively in my case. After that, I got as high as 7.5/8.0, but very usually no less than 6.0/8.0. After Optimise, I am down to 1.0/8.0, and DrTCP has no further effect.

Optimize comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Let me know if a refund is in order.

I'm a hardhead. I like to make things work properly. I am considering just reinstalling everything, continuously backing up and archiving version changes to everything across a vast network. A fellow compiled all the Win98SE updates into a single Service Pack to avoid having to go through the internet tedium, which could be pulled any time by Microsoft. http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

For Windows98 you will need to use scanreg /restore to recover the Add/Remove list.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/221512

If I recall correctly, there was an issue with Win98 and the receive buffer size. If you selected the connection type as broadband "Safe" from the first screen, please select broadband "Max" and run the program again to see if there is improvement, and vice-versa. If there is no improvement, to undo the changes Optimize made to your Internet settings, open the program and put a dot by 'restore system settings' and then run the program again.

If you are using an alternate browser, you may want to consider running the Pit test in Internet Explorer.

If you are running Firefox, try using the IE tab instead of Neptune: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419