Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

d0nut

Problems uninstallling

My PC is in a real mess, at least the Windows hard drive is. Keeps re-booting, so I want to format the HD and do a clean reinstall. The problem is that I have Opensuse 10.3 on my second drive, and when I attempt to format the Windows drive I am told that formatting of the HD is not supported. How can I get round this? I don't mind having to reinstall both systems, but how do I go about uninstalling Suse if that is necessary?

Situations like this make me realize what a lousy product Windows is.

Thanks in advance.

d0nut

What are you using to format the partition with? The thing is you will lose grub when formating your C drive. You can always reinstall grub or save your mbr and copy it back with third party software from the manufacture of your hard drive after the format.

Kram does make a good suggestion, but my advice is to save your self a load of possible problems and time with windows and do a fresh install.

Oh install windows first

Bear

Kram does make a good suggestion, but my advice is to save your self a load of possible problems and time with windows and do a fresh install.

Oh install windows first

Bear

This is the problem. I can't do a clean install, as I get the 'does not support format' message. I have done an install over the top of the original, but it seems to have made things worse. :(

did your pc come with windows pre installed and did it have a windows disc or is there a partition on that drive for reistalling windows from??

if u got the disc then there shouldn't be a problem as far as i know but if its on a partition you might have some probs.

try tapping 1 of the f keys when your system is turned on(booting up) think on my mates its f10 which takes him into windows setup.

sorry can't help further got limited knowledge myself... :rofl2:

but hope this might help you.. :b33r:

let us know how you get on anyway coz i might need to pm you if you can't sort it. B)

edit:- just had a thought if your mb supports raid go into bios set it up for raid then on boot you will get an option f4 on my system to tap to enter raid setup there you can low level format each drive no need to set up a raid drive then exit go back into bios set it up as it was and then try installing again on your totally wiped drives. :lol: sounds more complicated than it is. :pullhair:

Thanks for the help. Yes, I have a genuine XP install disk. I'll let you know what the outcome is. Just been invited down to the pub for a pint of Guinness. First things first! :cheers:

If you don't mind starting over with both installs, what about using gparted's live cd to reformat both drives? One NTFS, the other Ext3 and going from there? Seems to me Windows should install just fine on an empty NTFS partition.