Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Vista: The First 6 Months

I can't say if OEM pre-installed Vista machines... with overly bundled software... *they* put on their machines is at fault or not.... but look at the complaints! Must be something wrong with the OS, not the manufacturer! :P

Why are they --> top 'named' computer companies including all kinds of garbage apps instead of looking into what works and what doesn't? Why does the unsuspecting buyer have to update drivers or bios to simply get the machine to work? Why does the buyer have to uninstall a pre-installed Antivirus program that causes a problem and other bundled garbage?

Neither of my versions of Vista (Business and Ultimate) are OEM's or "upgrades" and I have no pre-installeded apps. I choose what I want after I investigate the sources. I have no problems with my Vista computers.

There are tutorials, help and tips all over the net to get a new Vista user out of a jam. Do your 'homework' before buying a pre-installed OEM Vista machine.

couldnt agree with ya more jacee

i was just wondering if Sho or others that had issues in this thread were basing their opinions from using a beta vista or a final release purchase ..

cause i ran the beta RC1 and it was horrid ... but the OEM 64bit Ultimate i bought from newegg for a fairly good price IMO is a night and day difference from RC1

and understandably so

I ran RC2 on my XP pro laptop and knew right away that I wanted Vista Business... I went out and bought it.

Ran a "clean" install and I haven't looked back :tup:

:shrug: I wonder what is the cheapest way to get Micorosft Word and Excel onto a laptop that already has Vista Home.

Open Office Writer and Calc. :P Either that or go back to school so you qualify for the Student edition of Office.

I can't say if OEM pre-installed Vista machines... with overly bundled software... *they* put on their machines is at fault or not..

I would. Didn't we see enough of this with XP, what would make it any different with Vista? That and the fact that Vista has higher requirements than XP, and you get the OEM manufacturer's doing business as usual by pre-loading all the garbage.

Neither of my versions of Vista (Business and Ultimate) are OEM's or "upgrades" and I have no pre-installeded apps.

That only happens with the pre-installed OEM, the OEM you can buy anywhere does not come with all the garbage.

Either that or go back to school so you qualify for the Student edition of Office.

The Military bases here have Office Standard for about $80. ;)

I ran RC2 on my XP pro laptop and knew right away that I wanted Vista Business... I went out and bought it.

Ran a "clean" install and I haven't looked back :tup:

Well, all I can say is that you're lucky that (a) the specs on your laptop were high enough to run Vista and (B) that you can afford to go out and buy the retail version of Vista Business!

But some of us who want Vista, are not lucky enough to own a PC or laptop that would run Vista successfully. So the alternatives are

1) to try and find a new PC wwhich still has XP installed and then go out and buy the retail version of Vista Home or Business and do a clean install of it on their new XP PC. Or

2) to buy a new PC with Vista pre-installed but still go out and spend another £200 or so on buying the retail version and do a clean install, to avoid having all that unwanted software installed on it. Or

3) to buy a new PC with Vista pre-installed and simply try to uninstall all the unwanted software that the manufacturers load onto it.

Personally, my old Packard Bell PB9750 to which I had added the max RAM and a new sound card, was perfectly capable of running XP Pro, even though the PC was so old that it performed a lot slower than I'd have liked! But it certainly didn't have specs good enough to run Vista. So I shopped around for quite a while before deciding to buy a new PC with Vista Home Premium pre-installed - because I wanted Vista but couldn't afford to buy a new PC AND go out and spend another £200 (give or take) on the retail version.

And no, this solution wasn't ideal, I have to admit. But by buying a new PC with fairly decent specs and Vista pre-installed, it has given me the chance to try out Vista and I do still have the opportunity to save up and buy a retail or OEM version, if I so wish and at such a time that I can afford to do so!

So I don't think anyone should knock people who choose to go down the same route, as long as they realise that buying a PC with Vista pre-installed will not necessarily give them the same experience of Vista, that performing a clean install would give them.

the min specs to run vista arent all that demanding .. although i highly recomend 2gb's of ram to run it efficiently

its a fine line to be on but as most know technology and software have to advance in tandem or there is no real progress ..

sometimes hardware has to advance to catch up with and take advantage of software and vice versa

if your system runs XP with rather outdated hardware ( no offense intended ) then stay with XP .. as XP will still be the main OS for quite some time

but a fairly new inexpensive PC with enough system ram can easily run vista ... IMHO

again i dont mean to sound offensive and apologize if it came off that way

the min specs to run vista arent all that demanding .. although i highly recomend 2gb's of ram to run it efficiently

its a fine line to be on but as most know technology and software have to advance in tandem or there is no real progress ..

sometimes hardware has to advance to catch up with and take advantage of software and vice versa

if your system runs XP with rather outdated hardware ( no offense intended ) then stay with XP .. as XP will still be the main OS for quite some time

but a fairly new inexpensive PC with enough system ram can easily run vista ... IMHO

again i dont mean to sound offensive and apologize if it came off that way

Sorry flewpastu, but was this directed at me? If so, no effence taken regarding my old PC with rather outdated hardware! But I'm afraid I don't understand quite what point you were trying to make in your message?

Were you suggesting that I should have stuck with my old PC and XP, even though the hardware it had was outdated and slow? And that I would have been better off upgrading all the hardware to improve its speed, rather than buying a new "inexpensive PC" with Vista together with a lot of unwanted software pre-installed? If so, then I can tell you that it would have cost more to buy a new mobo, a new CPU and a decent new video card etc than it did to buy a whole new PC with Vista installed! Which is why I opted for the new PC.

If not, I'm sorry but I don't understand what point you were trying to make? Please explain?

Unwanted free trial software loaded on a PC is just a way the computer makers are making money. It's their fault we have to go to the trouble of taking all of it off of the machine. It doesn't have much to do with the operating system.

While technically maybe Vista is an improvement it won't matter if the people that Dell, HP, and the others need to sell don't want to make the switch. Without sales, it will cease.

:bawling: Thays all I have to say!!! Wahhhaaa wahhhaaa!!!!!! If you didn't read my thread earlier and listen to Flew and Sho as I have described to you, then I will send you a packet of kleenex. Your ears are open but you are not listening!! Can you say reduntant? :hammer::hammer: Love ya all, and please no offense, but what the ? Goes in one ear and out the other!!! SHHHH! (be quiet and listen!) B)

OceanV47... take a look at your last post above mine. You seem to have lost the plot, so please refrain from posting in this topic until you pull yourself together.

EssexBiker,

Well, all I can say is that you're lucky that (a) the specs on your laptop were high enough to run Vista and ( that you can afford to go out and buy the retail version of Vista Business!

But some of us who want Vista, are not lucky enough to own a PC or laptop that would run Vista successfully. So the alternatives are

1) to try and find a new PC wwhich still has XP installed and then go out and buy the retail version of Vista Home or Business and do a clean install of it on their new XP PC. Or

2) to buy a new PC with Vista pre-installed but still go out and spend another £200 or so on buying the retail version and do a clean install, to avoid having all that unwanted software installed on it. Or

3) to buy a new PC with Vista pre-installed and simply try to uninstall all the unwanted software that the manufacturers load onto it.

You lost me here...

You said you opted for an new PC, was your older XP pc giving you 'fits'?

OceanV47... take a look at your last post above mine. You seem to have lost the plot, so please refrain from posting in this topic until you pull yourself together.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but did not read that last post and was on the wrong page! :)

EssexBiker,

You lost me here...

You said you opted for an new PC, was your older XP pc giving you 'fits'?

OK. To clarify, my old PC (a cerca 1999 Packard Bell PB9750) had a 750mhz processor and could only take a maximum of 512mb RAM! So obviously, it was VERY slow indeed compared to today's PC's! For example, it used to take 14-15 HOURS to burn a DVD with Nero! And editing photos with PSP took 100% of my resources, which meant I often had to wait for the program to catch up! :pullhair:

....And it definitely did NOT have specs high enough to run Vista! Furthermore, the entire system was so old and outdated that it was just not viable to even consider trying to rip everything out and install a new mobo, a new cpu, a new video card, another 2gb RAM etc. - because it was far cheaper to go out and buy a new PC with higher specs than to try and upgrade mine.

So apart from wanting (rightly or wrongly) to get the latest OS (Vista) I also wanted a faster PC, which is why I opted to buy a new "inexpensive" PC with Vista pre-installed. I can now burn DVD's in 7-8 MINS with Nero! And it handles photo editing with ease...

So forgive me if this sounds obtuse, but I don't understand why is it so hard for anyone to understand why I opted to buy a new PC with Vista installed? Or why anyone would think me foolish for doing so? :unsure:

I apologize for being misleading/misunderstood ....... no one thinks you were foolish to purchase a newer inexpensive PC that is obviously more up to date than the old one

i was merely suggesting a decent CPU made in the last few years with enough system Ram could run Vista Fine

my comments about OEM referred to purchasing an OEM version of Vista ( non retail packaging no fancy book )

some may have referred to OEM as a prebuilt PC that is often loaded with TONs of demo , trial or other junk stuff that is more often than not .. just never used and it takes up a lot of resources and HD space for nothing

enjoy the new PC :tup:

:shrug: I wonder what is the cheapest way to get Micorosft Word and Excel onto a laptop that already has Vista Home.

Bittorrent......... :lol:

Seriously though, as Story13 suggests Open Office allows you set the defaults so that Calc files are saved as .xls, Writer files as .doc . A friend at work needed (wanted) PowerPoint for his daughters school projects. I suggested he try Oo and he was pleasantly surprised. It sure beats using cracked software or paying a couple hundred bucks.

I have exchanged and edited Word files at work using Oo and nobody had any trouble. That being said, I wouldn't recommend exchanging Oo documents with MS users outside of the company you work at. It may be just fine but I still worry about crucial bits of info being lost during conversion.

I apologize for being misleading/misunderstood ....... no one thinks you were foolish to purchase a newer inexpensive PC that is obviously more up to date than the old one

i was merely suggesting a decent CPU made in the last few years with enough system Ram could run Vista Fine

my comments about OEM referred to purchasing an OEM version of Vista ( non retail packaging no fancy book )

some may have referred to OEM as a prebuilt PC that is often loaded with TONs of demo , trial or other junk stuff that is more often than not .. just never used and it takes up a lot of resources and HD space for nothing

enjoy the new PC :tup:

Apology accepted! And yes, I was aware that OEM software can be purchased seperately and that it is the same as Retail (boxed) software except for the higher price tag, the fancy box and the manual, which can invariably be downloaded anyway.

As for demo, trial or junk software that manufacturers usually load their computers with - that could be one of the main reasons why they are able to keep their prices so low nowadays! If so, it is a trade-off really, isn't it? Pay more for a machine with no junk software pre-installed - or pay less and have to uninstall all the software you don't want. Always having to watch the pennies very carefully, I know which I'd prefer! And it really isn't that much trouble to uninstall any software you don't want anyway, is it? Just a few clicks of the mouse, in fact! So why slate manufacturers if they pre-install a load of "junk" software in order to try and keep their prices as low and as competitive as possible?

I sometimes think that highly knowledgable computer geeks tend to forget that not everyone is as computer savvy as they are - or indeed that they even need to be! Sure, if knowing all the ins and outs of PC's is what makes them tick, then fine. But some of us just want to be able to buy a PC and use it to the best of our very different abilities! Yes, we come across problems occasionally and have to ask for help. But isn't that mostly what forums such as these are for? So I really wish that the computer elite wouldn't keep knocking the rest of us poor saps for our miserable lack of knowledge at every opportunity! :boxing:

Sorry, but that's the way that some of the comments on such forums make me feel sometimes - that I am a pain in the butt and should be taken out and shot for my stupidity! When really, I am just an average but fairly intelligent 59-year old PC user, trying to learn how to sort out the odd computer problem! :cr@sh:

Please don't all lynch me now, will you? I am only letting you know how I feel sometimes. But I apologise most sincerely if I've over-stepped the mark. OK? :surrender:

When dual core processors came out I really started getting anxious for a new computer. But I knew that Vista was just around the corner so I waited. When Vista was released I started doing my homework regarding existing software, my two printers, scanner, etc and I went to each of their websites – expecting that most would have addressed the Vista scenario. I found that I was correct. The software was either compatible or they had a patch on their site to make it compatible. Drivers were the same. My laser mfg had addressed it with a new driver and my inkjet (HP) had a work-around by using a driver from a different model. Even my ancient Canon scanner had addressed the issue (I really expected to have to replace it). I had to abandon one software – PrintShop. I never used it but my wife did occasionally.

I then started looking around to find the computer I wanted and expected it to last at least as long as the XP machine it was replacing. I can remember buying a new computer every other year because they were evolving so quickly. I had bought my XP computer in ’02 and, although computers continued to gain in power, the software wasn’t becoming more demanding – so I was in a comfort zone and could do all that I wanted to while awaiting the dramatic leap forward (dual-core)

I was fortunate enough to not have to buy a budget machine and the one I chose came with no bloat ware. The only program I unloaded was Adobe reader because I prefer FoxIt reader. It came with Vista Ultimate and I’ve had no regrets or nightmares regarding it. The transfer went smoothly. However, I have to admit that the lack of bloatware wasn’t a selling point to me. All of my previous computers came with bloatware and I had always known that my first few hours with a new machine were going to be spent cleaning it up. I was never caught by surprise in this regard.

My wife was also anxious for me to get a new computer – this meant she would have her own and we would no longer have to share one computer. I’m glad I hadn’t heard about all the problems people are talking about regarding networking an XP machine with a Vista or I would have been much more fretful about it. It was no problem at all.

Essex – if you got that many years out of your old machine, I commend you – you got your money’s worth and don’t blame you at all for wanting to step forward.

point taken :tup:

:P

Thanks flewpastu. I feel a lot better now, having got that off my chest! :)

geewhiz - Essex - if you got that many years out of your old machine, I commend you - you got your money's worth and don't blame you at all for wanting to step forward

Thanks for your vote of confidence too! :) I omitted to mention that my Packard Bell PB9750 was second-hand when I bought it too! And that despite never having owned a PC before that and never having any PC training, I managed to upgrade the RAM to its max, install a new sound card and a new DVD-writer drive, replacing the old CD-reader with the old DVD-writer drive. I also installed a new hard drive, a UBS2 card and a new PSU, after being able to establish that the old PSU was what had stopped the PC powering up! I don't think that was too bad for a self-taught geriatric, do you? :geezer::lol:

EssexBiker, I commend you on your knowledge for keeping an old machine alive :tup:

Stick around and see if anyone in our "User to User" help forum can benefit by your knowledge!