Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Vista: The First 6 Months

I simply have no complaints.

Well I do, I have had vista on my desktop for 6 months and only got it to boot 3 times. :angry:

Now that I got my wife a laptop with XP (her favorite) and the network set up :pullhair:

I can now boot up the vista hard drive that I don't have any trouble with, anytime I want B)

I am loyal to Gateway so I ordered a Gateway notebook. ..WITH VISTA

A week after I had it I had to reinstall VISTA (to fix some corrupt files after downloading a program (Picture Project, along with the link to "fix" the compatibility.

I DO like a lot of the VISTA features (getting used to the changes! LOL )

2007 Microsoft Office programs are a challenge from the 2002 versions!

I tried to download Adobe PhotoShop Elements 6.0 (version 5.0 workded fine)

and it lost my "E" drive (DVD/CD drive) (make it in accessable and non-functioning)

I had to restore to get it back.

Adobe reassures me that they are aware of the problem and if I have a problem when re-installing the

6.0 that they have the solution information to resolve the conflict.

Often...Vista blames the Software maker...and the Software maker blames Vista! :pullhair:

Vista - Its a nightmare.

It came with my laptop and nothing is intuitive and I'm fairly savvy in using pc's. Try and find the control section soyou can change the IP to a static one - Nowhere. Many other issues like that all over Vista.

Try figuring out how wireless and or Lan work or how to switch each on or off - good luck

Its business I'm in, not time wasting.

I sell products that are windows compatible, programmed, client-server managed and none of them are usable or reachable via Vista. Are they nuts? Dont they realize that today's world of products and services are usually set up and managed by a software disk and compatability is a serious issue.

I undid Vista happily and everything that I needed to work does again using XP.

Microsoft - You really dont know your user base at all. Thats why IT folks love Linnux and not microsoft or haven't you heard that yet? Welcome linus, open office, Net 2 and good by microsoft, or dont you get that.

Oh, I see, Vista is much prettier with features I dont need but look great. Come on now.

Admit its a mess like ME and kill it off before it kills you off and it will.

ucanpreventbadhires

pullhair:

www.ucanpreventbadhires.com

Vista - Its a nightmare.

It came with my laptop and nothing is intuitive and I'm fairly savvy in using pc's. Try and find the control section soyou can change the IP to a static one - Nowhere. Many other issues like that all over Vista.

Very simple really, System, Network Connections, Right click the connection, select properties. All the settings are there, exactly as it has been done in windows for more then a decade now. :lol:

Try figuring out how wireless and or Lan work or how to switch each on or off - good luck

See above comment.

Its business I'm in, not time wasting.

I sell products that are windows compatible, programmed, client-server managed and none of them are usable or reachable via Vista. Are they nuts? Dont they realize that today's world of products and services are usually set up and managed by a software disk and compatability is a serious issue.

It is not the responsibility of an operating system to be compatible with your software. It is your job to make your software compatible with the operating system. Software companies have had a very long time now to work with Vista and make a decent software product that is compatible. If the software companies can't do that, then shame on them.

I do not make software. I make devices and like many device makers, we have networking capability. My embedded linnux products - perfect. My windows products- not working with Vista. You missed the point.

Windows is the interface of choice for networked based products that require software to set them up. They are not drivers, they are set up tools and management tools they die using Vista. Reaching the devices also dies because the end user suddenly can not open the management software.

Stop defending the OS vendor. Remember, Windos OS is the standard for integrateing the world and then it undoes everything us manufactures have signed up for with windows. Its not kids and personal PC's funding Microsoft its businesses and their applications - remember that please.

Again, Vista is a mess as I stated and it deserves to go by by, not Buy Buy.

I am not defending the OS :lol:

If you knew anything about me, then you would know I don't even use windows.

What I do is not let software, or "device" makers blame an operating system, because the creators or makers of devices don't write software or "device" drivers that work with the Operating system.

If you are the maker of devices then it is your responsibilty to create the software/drivers for the devices you make.

I simply do not see how you can possibly blame the operating system for failures on your part.

That said, I find it hard to believe that someone who specializes in networking devices can't find the most basic networking function tools right where they have been in windows for a decade.

As an avid user of Linux for more then 8 years I would love to test one of your devices in both operating systems.

What I do is not let software, or "device" makers blame an operating system, because the creators or makers of devices don't write software or "device" drivers that work with the Operating system.

If you are the maker of devices then it is your responsibility to create the software/drivers for the devices you make.

Too bad most don't realize that simple little thing. I have lost track of the number of times I have seen Vista slammed because it doesn't work with some program/device/whatever, when it is the other way around and said program/device/whatever needs to be made to work with Vista.

Then again there was all the same hand wringing, teeth gnashing when XP came out, and again when SP2 came out.

like ati and linux, in the past they couldn't produce a decent kernel module if they tried, now they really work, it took time, in fact they had to be bought out in order for it to happen, ati was lazy because they doubt with one windows kernel for years, it was easy, probably copy and paste lols, now they writing from scratch :lol:

with that said time is of the essence :)

I must say have seen a lot of diferences on this subject! I really think and from experience that Vista is the best operating system from MS yet! Those that do have a problems, included those who buy branded sytems is because of the lack of knowledge! I can't say anything bad about about Vista except Nvidia driver issues, other than that it is your lack of knowing what the requirements are for this. If you beleive you can get by with Xp software and hardware, you got another thing commin! (Judas Preist 1982)!

Don't be angry with the operating system cause you want to get by with cheaper hardware and software, it's a whole new ball game, and if you want to play you have do divi up and pay the price for the newer hardware and software, otherise stick with XP,Me 98, and 95.! :)

I bought Vista Home Premium upgrade the day it came out. I have an XP machine with Explorer 6 on a KVM switch as a 'stable' machine. I anticipated a lot of trouble. While I did have a horrible time doing the upgrade (finally got through it with the help of an MS engineer from Redmond on the phone for several hours) it has been great ever since. All things being equal, it is a tad slower than XP SP2, but not significantly so. I had web cam and a scanner that didn't work. Logitech has upgraded the software for the cam. HP says 'buy another scanner'. C'est la vie. Maybe I am just lucky, but I haven't had any of the problems that I have been reading about in this forum. I like this OS a lot.

:geezer: It appears from reading some of the replies here that many of the users here have no idea of the time, effort, and investment that goes into a writing a software product. Rewrite the driver? Sure -- when we get the real specs from MS.

The company I work for won't touch Vista for that reason. All new PCs are immediately re-imaged to XP-Pro. The company owner/manager is a programmer/SW Engineer who is vastly more experienced with these items than most who work for him. It was his determination that Vista wasn't yet up to the standard of use he required.

The biggest problem with Vista remains this: If you want to "upgrade" to use it, you'll have to buy a complete new computer system, and replace all the application software you used on the other with the new versions -- NOT guaranteed to work with Vista. I don't have the money to do that, and wouldn't even if I did.

From my point of view, there was only 1 reason to do that: Force the users to buy a new machine, and the new OS, so Big Brother Bill can have more control of your PC.

I haven't seen much actual improvement since W98SE. Everything else has left more security holes in the system, and more problems for the users.

KP

:geezer: It appears from reading some of the replies here that many of the users here have no idea of the time, effort, and investment that goes into a writing a software product. Rewrite the driver? Sure -- when we get the real specs from MS.

The company I work for won't touch Vista for that reason. All new PCs are immediately re-imaged to XP-Pro. The company owner/manager is a programmer/SW Engineer who is vastly more experienced with these items than most who work for him. It was his determination that Vista wasn't yet up to the standard of use he required.

The biggest problem with Vista remains this: If you want to "upgrade" to use it, you'll have to buy a complete new computer system, and replace all the application software you used on the other with the new versions -- NOT guaranteed to work with Vista. I don't have the money to do that, and wouldn't even if I did.

From my point of view, there was only 1 reason to do that: Force the users to buy a new machine, and the new OS, so Big Brother Bill can have more control of your PC.

I haven't seen much actual improvement since W98SE. Everything else has left more security holes in the system, and more problems for the users.

KP

I think many of us are aware of the time, effort and investment that goes into creating software and drivers. I also think any company that makes software, hardware and drivers and have not been actively developing them for the latest operating systems available are essentially shooting themselves in the proverbial foot :lol:

No one forces people to use Windows, no one forces companies to create and develop software and hardware for Windows, however if that is said companies bread and butter, and they don't keep up with the times, then they will simply loose business.

I don't use windows, I use an alternative operating system, so I choose my hardware very, very carefully. Why? Because I want it to function and I want it to function to it's fullest.

Now if people are going to use the latest and greatest from Microsoft, then a little research will show them what they need, what works, and what doesn't.

I always get a kick out of people who buy hardware willy nilly, and then whine and cry when it doesn't work as they thought it would or should.

That said.

I think any corporate environment that jumps on the I have to have the latest OS from MS bandwagon, is in for a lot of headaches. Simply because any new operating system, is different to some degree. That requires time and effort, and a lot of money.

The end user/home user who just has to have the latest and greatest from Microsoft without doing a little research is also in for headaches.

These headaches are self induced, not induced by the OS maker.

Simply put, installing a new operating system is never a small task, and doing so without understanding the hurdles, stumbling blocks and work arounds that are ahead is like choosing to run as fast as you can through an obstacle course with a blindfold on :P When you trip, fall and smash your head don't blame the guy who designed the course. He didn't intend for you to run through it blind folded. ;)

As for improvements. If you haven't seen any since win 98SE, then you truly have been running blind folded.

Win2K was the hugest improvement MS ever made to windows, XP was a small improvement over 2K, and Vista is an improvement over both of them.

All had the same hurdles, stumbling blocks, and needed work arounds, new hardware, software and a lot of time, effort, and investment to get everything working smoothly.

The biggest problem isn't Vista. The biggest problem is in fact that Microsoft didn't create a new operating system for years and years. They relied on 2K and XP for 8 years now.

People got so used to these two OS's that any change is just simply foreign to them. For many younger folks, or people who who haven't been using computers very long, they simply don't know anything else. Have never tried anything else, and have never had to deal with the headaches that come along when an operating system is new, especially one that was 6 years in the making.

As for buying machines with one OS pre-installed, and then re-imaging all the drives to another OS. All I can say is WoW what a waste of time and money.

I can not imagine spending the money to buy computers with an OS pre-installed only to install another OS.

Much more cost efficient to buy "clean computers" and install an operating system of choice. When you buy with windows pre-installed, then install a different version of windows you have essentailly paid the piper two times. ;)

I bought my computer with Vista installed on it. Immediately I turned off all visual features and adjusted for 'Best Performance' which I even do with windows Xp, it's just a personal preference, I like the simple look more. After everything was adjusted, all the dumb startup stuff disabled etc etc. I was ready to continue on with my computer rotational life.

WHAT A HEADACHE!!!!!!!

I hate windows vista. I tried to install a Microsoft made game called 'Freelancer' and it would NOT let me connect to ANY servers. I could see the lists... my fiances lan... I was upset! So we tried directly connecting me to the modem, to no avail, it STILL wouldn't let me connect.

I disabled, allowed, even ran windows without my anti virus starting up (I note and agree that Norton hasn't always been the greatest but it's never caused me a headache, only relived them). After much reading I found that the problem was most likely caused by my anti virus and i should 'uninstall it'. So after much stressful consideration and reading, I FINALLY found a thread on a forum, some had FOUND the reason why the anti virus was conflicting. Even though Norton disables windows firewall and such, Vista has some pretty complicated and not so complicated things that still conflict with it, built in protections and so forth. The thread I found pointed out the IPv6 vs IPv4 and that even if you manage to disable the IPv settings corretly that it still conflicts with Virus software, why? Ports and information transfer going through one protocol and then another just making the programs 'confused' for lack of a better word.

*sigh* So I uninstalled my Norton (that came as a free trial 90 days WITH my new computer WITH Windows Vista). BADDA BOOM! My game worked... no virus protection, but I no longer had any networking issues! Hah! Seems I read, for this particular game, all Microsoft had to do was patch the IPv4 and IPv6 issues with the game and it would have worked (just like MANY other games have done, even a previous patch for Diablo made it possible for me to play on network and for the game to even run on my computer).

I am a gamer, and where Vista is concerned I am VERY disappointed, some games don't even run in 'Compatability Mode' it just crashes over and over. Amazing, they go from Xp (which had it's issues but they fixed fairly promptly) to Vista and look at the issues they are making for people. Obviously what they don't understand is that now days not everyone is computer savvy enough to even google the issue they are having, yet many people use computers, older people, younger people alike. When these kinds of problems come up most people just think "This crappy Vista, I should just install windows Xp" So sad that most of what I have read is, instead of just finding out how to fix the seemingly unfixable errors in Vista many people are opting to install XP back on their machines, or dual boot (for the more understanding users).

Vista is becoming a big FLOP in my opinion, they need to get more fixes on it fast... but alas it has already lost so much of it's credibility... people will be very stand offish so trust the word of Microsoft saying "Ow we fixed that, it's all better now."

What I'd like to know is why they keep blaming everything BUT Vista? I don't think I should have to go out and buy a new router, get new anti virus, graphics cards (because of the DirectX 10), just to have a prettier (supposedly more secure) OS. Anyone who has said Vista is just a prettier XP needs to take it back and just say Vista is the hell spawn Microsoft made to annoy people.

Lets all just stick with XP, or hell, get Macs... even that seems better than dealing with these horrendous issues.

Edited by ttbloodlusttt

I bought my computer with Vista installed on it. Immediately I turned off all visual features and adjusted for 'Best Performance' which I even do with windows Xp, it's just a personal preference, I like the simple look more. After everything was adjusted, all the dumb startup stuff disabled etc etc. I was ready to continue on with my computer rotational life.

WHAT A HEADACHE!!!!!!!

I hate windows vista. I tried to install a Microsoft made game called 'Freelancer' and it would NOT let me connect to ANY servers. I could see the lists... my fiances lan... I was upset! So we tried directly connecting me to the modem, to no avail, it STILL wouldn't let me connect.

I disabled, allowed, even ran windows without my anti virus starting up (I note and agree that Norton hasn't always been the greatest but it's never caused me a headache, only relived them). After much reading I found that the problem was most likely caused by my anti virus and i should 'uninstall it'. So after much stressful consideration and reading, I FINALLY found a thread on a forum, some had FOUND the reason why the anti virus was conflicting. Even though Norton disables windows firewall and such, Vista has some pretty complicated and not so complicated things that still conflict with it, built in protections and so forth. The thread I found pointed out the IPv6 vs IPv4 and that even if you manage to disable the IPv settings corretly that it still conflicts with Virus software, why? Ports and information transfer going through one protocol and then another just making the programs 'confused' for lack of a better word.

*sigh* So I uninstalled my Norton (that came as a free trial 90 days WITH my new computer WITH Windows Vista). BADDA BOOM! My game worked... no virus protection, but I no longer had any networking issues! Hah! Seems I read, for this particular game, all Microsoft had to do was patch the IPv4 and IPv6 issues with the game and it would have worked (just like MANY other games have done, even a previous patch for Diablo made it possible for me to play on network and for the game to even run on my computer).

I am a gamer, and where Vista is concerned I am VERY disappointed, some games don't even run in 'Compatability Mode' it just crashes over and over. Amazing, they go from Xp (which had it's issues but they fixed fairly promptly) to Vista and look at the issues they are making for people. Obviously what they don't understand is that now days not everyone is computer savvy enough to even google the issue they are having, yet many people use computers, older people, younger people alike. When these kinds of problems come up most people just think "This crappy Vista, I should just install windows Xp" So sad that most of what I have read is, instead of just finding out how to fix the seemingly unfixable errors in Vista many people are opting to install XP back on their machines, or dual boot (for the more understanding users).

Vista is becoming a big FLOP in my opinion, they need to get more fixes on it fast... but alas it has already lost so much of it's credibility... people will be very stand offish so trust the word of Microsoft saying "Ow we fixed that, it's all better now."

What I'd like to know is why they keep blaming everything BUT Vista? I don't think I should have to go out and buy a new router, get new anti virus, graphics cards (because of the DirectX 10), just to have a prettier (supposedly more secure) OS. Anyone who has said Vista is just a prettier XP needs to take it back and just say Vista is the hell spawn Microsoft made to annoy people.

Lets all just stick with XP, or hell, get Macs... even that seems better than dealing with these horrendous issues.

Really!!! I agree!!! I just bought a brand new Mercedes and immediatly disabled all the new safety features and electronics. This car is so complicated. I should have kept my old VW Bug, It always got me where I wanted to go! The only problem I am having now is that I can't figure out how to install my 8 track player!

[snip]

<<No one forces people to use Windows, no one forces companies to create and develop software and hardware for Windows, however if that is said companies bread and butter, and they don't keep up with the times, then they will simply loose business.>>

While no one may force people to use Windows, when there are few alternatives for the non-techie, what other choice do they have?

[snip]

<<The end user/home user who just has to have the latest and greatest from Microsoft without doing a little research is also in for headaches.

These headaches are self induced, not induced by the OS maker.>>

That depends on how much modification the OS maker did to the system kernal and the method for making system calls. If there was no reason for them to move these, why did they? Or, why did MS make such an effort to make the systems so incompatible?

[snip]

<<As for improvements. If you haven't seen any since win 98SE, then you truly have been running blind folded.

Win2K was the hugest improvement MS ever made to windows, XP was a small improvement over 2K, and Vista is an improvement over both of them.>>

I haven't seen enough of these "improvements" to warrant the time and energy to make the change yet. Also, I notice that staying back with W98SE keeps me somewhat safe from the latest virui that seem to target Vista, XP, and 2K.

At the cost of the upgrade software, I may as well buy the new PC with it all preinstalled. That would cut the cost of upgrading the software _and_ hardware, as these costs can be offset against what would have to be spent anyway.

[snip]

<<The biggest problem isn't Vista. The biggest problem is in fact that Microsoft didn't create a new operating system for years and years. They relied on 2K and XP for 8 years now. >>

Actually, the biggest problem is that MS isn't satisfied with being "king", they want to be "GOD".

<<People got so used to these two OS's that any change is just simply foreign to them. For many younger folks, or people who who haven't been using computers very long, they simply don't know anything else. >>

I still like DOS. >:)

[snip]

<<As for buying machines with one OS pre-installed, and then re-imaging all the drives to another OS. All I can say is WoW what a waste of time and money.>>

It's a lot cheaper than trying to adapt one system to work (kinda) with another OS.

<<I can not imagine spending the money to buy computers with an OS pre-installed only to install another OS.

Much more cost efficient to buy "clean computers" and install an operating system of choice. When you buy with windows pre-installed, then install a different version of windows you have essentailly paid the piper two times. ;)>>

The only way to buy a new PC now is with Vista, or "clean". My boss may be buying them clean, I don't know that part. I do know that he gets them in lots of 12 or so, direct from Dell. He has an IT person come in to set them up so they're ready to use.

I do know that this wouldn't be as painful as it is if MS would consider the impact to the end user a bit more than they do.

But, remember the old Internet Explorer "on-line clock". The Windows Flag with the world revolving around it? "The world revolves around MS".

As for Vista, I have heard a lot of scuttlebut that there are 7 versions out, and that you have to get the one for your application or you'll have problems. That's a far cry from 2 versions: Home, and Pro.

KP

10 months after Vista was released to the public, we've built 500+ systems for customers. Not 1 has had Vista on it, and not 1 customer has asked for it.

Our personal systems use P35 motherboards, E6750s, 2x1g Crucial Ballistix, are overclocked to 3.6GHz 24/7 to run folding at home, are connected via Windows SBS, and are used for both entertainment and our business.

Myself, I have yet to activate a copy of Vista. I install it every month or so, install the latest drivers and check software support, and then it mainly collects dust until the next month's format. I find Vista slow and unproductive compared to XP or Windows 2000. Drivers and software support are still not up to scratch for Vista. I've gotten more BSODs with Vista in the short time I've used it (various periods since RC1 came out until now) than I ever did with Windows 2000 and XP together.

Another problem is that my preferred Nvidia video card drivers are crap with Vista, but work great on XP. Not to mention the infamous "a driver error has been fixed on your system" which is usually followed quickly by a black screen. I'm not switching to a lesser ATI product just to run Vista. Most of the other problems can be worked out, but then I can't be bothered doing so over and over and sure wouldn't expect my customers to have to do so.

Installing Vista requires me to disconnect all hard drives except the one that Vista is being installed to (unfortunately I have 6 hard drives on this system). I feel like I'm back in the stone age with this primitive process.

Microsoft hasn't even updated their own server OS's to work smoothly with Vista (it can be done with some tweaking but that's not really the point). Office updates is still a manual process via Vista since the automatic scan feature (that works so well with XP and every other MS OS) hasn't yet been updated to work with Vista.

So it's no wonder to me that Dell has gone back to supplying systems with XP installed because of all the customer complaints. No wonder that XP installation on new systems has been extended by Microsoft because they're also aware of the general public preference for XP. No wonder that customers continue to specifically ask for XP on their systems from us.

Anyway, I'm not disappointed with Vista's lack of success because it hasn't effected our business negatively in the least.

On the contrary, many of our customers have specifically come to us because we supply systems with XP when retail shops don't. We have almost as many repairs consisting of upgrading memory and video cards on existing Vista systems bought from someone else as we do component failures on these same systems, and then fail to honor their warranty. In fact, Vista has accounted for 50% of our upgrade/repairs in the last 10 months and is gaining ground every month. Vista has been very very good to us.

:)

10 months after Vista was released to the public, we've built 500+ systems for customers. Not 1 has had Vista on it, and not 1 customer has asked for it.

Our personal systems use P35 motherboards, E6750s, 2x1g Crucial Ballistix, are overclocked to 3.6GHz 24/7 to run folding at home, are connected via Windows SBS, and are used for both entertainment and our business.

Myself, I have yet to activate a copy of Vista. I install it every month or so, install the latest drivers and check software support, and then it mainly collects dust until the next month's format. I find Vista slow and unproductive compared to XP or Windows 2000. Drivers and software support are still not up to scratch for Vista. I've gotten more BSODs with Vista in the short time I've used it (various periods since RC1 came out until now) than I ever did with Windows 2000 and XP together.

Another problem is that my preferred Nvidia video card drivers are crap with Vista, but work great on XP. Not to mention the infamous "a driver error has been fixed on your system" which is usually followed quickly by a black screen. I'm not switching to a lesser ATI product just to run Vista. Most of the other problems can be worked out, but then I can't be bothered doing so over and over and sure wouldn't expect my customers to have to do so.

Installing Vista requires me to disconnect all hard drives except the one that Vista is being installed to (unfortunately I have 6 hard drives on this system). I feel like I'm back in the stone age with this primitive process.

Microsoft hasn't even updated their own server OS's to work smoothly with Vista (it can be done with some tweaking but that's not really the point). Office updates is still a manual process via Vista since the automatic scan feature (that works so well with XP and every other MS OS) hasn't yet been updated to work with Vista.

So it's no wonder to me that Dell has gone back to supplying systems with XP installed because of all the customer complaints. No wonder that XP installation on new systems has been extended by Microsoft because they're also aware of the general public preference for XP. No wonder that customers continue to specifically ask for XP on their systems from us.

Anyway, I'm not disappointed with Vista's lack of success because it hasn't effected our business negatively in the least.

On the contrary, many of our customers have specifically come to us because we supply systems with XP when retail shops don't. We have almost as many repairs consisting of upgrading memory and video cards on existing Vista systems bought from someone else as we do component failures on these same systems, and then fail to honor their warranty. In fact, Vista has accounted for 50% of our upgrade/repairs in the last 10 months and is gaining ground every month. Vista has been very very good to us.

:)

Have to agree on this dark!! Another problem is that my preferred Nvidia video card drivers are crap with Vista

I myself have built many systems for my customers, (that's how I was able to build this one!!) Have done nothing but request Vista, as I told them what the requirements are and the price they must pay for hardware to take off on Vista, some of them have agreed and are very pleased with their Vista system as I am. Those who did not or could not afford Vista system were actually happy with the XP systems I built for them! Vista to me is the best operating system that MS has ever offered to date. However the requirements are very high and kind of expensive at this moment in time. It is just the price of having the latest and greatest! In time just like XP was when it first launched, there was the same issues with drivers and software. Vista :) will be a great operating system that all can afford and driver issues will be resolved. In fact in many benchmarks with Direct X10 and a compatable video card it will out bench XP and Direct X 9. It is only a brand new operating system with a lot to offer with the right hardware and software!

Steve Hogan wrote in his article 4. User Account Controls: For any product to be successful on a grand scale it must fill a need and be easy for the masses to use. Since it's beginning we've heard about increased security with Vista People have been screaming about Windows virus and spyware activity forever. Microsoft's answer, User Account Controls. While it may supply more security it just isn't easy for the "average" user to contend with or configure. You be the judge. Think of your five closest neighbors and imagine them configuring Vista UAC using this document from Microsoft as a guide. It's not going to happen. Most of the people reading this will be somewhat computer savvy. I wonder how many of us have actually configured the UAC and how many have just removed it. I removed it.

But having read the document he cited at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetma...es/2007/06/UAC/ UAC sounds like a great feature (even without configuring it) the way it is supposed to help protect the OS from unauthorised and undesirable changes that are frequently made by unidentified publishers, unsigned drivers or malaware etc. So I do not understand why anyone would want to remove it?

Sure, there are still ways for malaware etc to circumvent the UAC system. But Microsoft has given very clear instructions on how to configure the OTS elevations "to require a Secure Attention Sequence (SAS) that malware cannot intercept or simulate" for any users who are particularly security-conscious. So once again, I do not understand Mr Hogan's problem with it?

In my opinion, any improvement that helps protect the OS from undesirable changes should be welcomed - and used!

Yes, it is easy to blame the hardware vendors for not getting their drivers up to snuff, but Microsoft has been little help to many of these vendors, and, strangely, Vista has had many, many problems on machines supposedly designed specifically for it(and certified so by MS). Vista's hardware requirements really mean that it should not be put on any low-level consumer machine. The sweet spot for Vista performance is 2 gig of RAM, and at least 256 meg of separate video RAM with a preference for 512 meg. Take a run through the low end machines, and see how many of them meet that spec. Vista's inability to run internet access over existing routers and hubs is inexcusable, because this is an area where MS provides almost all the drivers. Forcing IPv6 stuff into local and even ISP networks that don't necessarily support it just isn't MS's business, and certainly shouldn't happen without clear warnings and error messages in place of the chaotic mess that is often seen. A huge number of people get their routers from their ISP/phone/cable company, and would not have the slightest idea what that router does or how it does it. Consumers might have heard of IP and maybe even TCP/IP, but expecting them to distinguish issues between v4 and v6 is just way too much.

I have used Vista on several machines, and I just can't see what the big fuss is all about. After MS peeled all the really important stuff out of it(like a new file system), Vista is nothing but eye-candy with slightly better security. Everything that Vista has can be accomplished with free or very inexpensive additions to XP. Why would anyone want the headaches or the expense of dealing with Vista. My advice to all my current customers is that they buy a new machine with whatever is current sometime in 2010 or later, when we will supposedly already have Vista's successor(and hopefully SP1)...in other words, skip Vista entirely. In the mean time, buy a little RAM or an upgrade processor and keep good security software on your machine(not MS). If you just have to buy a new machine, buy it with Vista Business so you will have the privilege of downgrading it to XP Pro(if you can't order it on the machine) for free. That way you are covered if something odd comes along and forces an upgrade...that being some trick of MS's, like their constant attempts to trick or force people into downloading IE7(another piece of junk that is just unnecessary).

First time here, and I believe the arch must be a Gates hater. I bought a new laptop in March, and it came loaded with Vista. I had a few issues, but went smoothly for the most part. No teeth gnashing or hair pulling. Once I got used to the changes, I like Vista, and have recommended it to others. And they still speak to me, too. I use Windows One-Care, after testing for six months, I paid my fifty bucks, and I am happy.

I have used Windows pretty much since 3.11, and yes, there have been issues, but nothing like the horror stories I read.

I upped the memory in my laptop to 2 gigs, and have been happy from, basically, day one.

I'm just curious if the 1st 6 months was a final release ( OEM or retail ) or beta RC1 or RC2

i had both of them and although the imagery was all the same the internal workings were not when i had RC1 it was horrible ... but i purchased 64bit ultimate and it runs flawless bought a 2nd copy and installed it on my work PC again flawless ....

i just wiped out my main home PC and reinstalled XP cause it does bench better than Vista and i was at a point where i either had to activate it now or reinstall

my work PC is activated but i just couldn't bring myself to activate the home PC due to constant upgrade hassles but when SP1 comes out i may reinstall vista