Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Vista: The First 6 Months

In Steve Hogan's blog, is there a reason he left out windows ME?

Launch Week Sales Boxed Retail Version

1. Windows 98 400,000 copies

2. Windows XP 300,000 copies

3. Windows 2000 200,000 copies

4. Windows Vista 125,000 copies

i think theres another factor comes to play in terms of first week retail sales. i mean back in late 90's we had that computer boom and so many more people were just getitng thier first pc's and learning internet....your talkn about the days when AOL and dialup ruled the roost for gods sake...its just part of the normal change in times.

if the ipod was first released today instead of when it was.....would it have sold as much initially? hard to say but likely not

then again the first week sales doesnt really matter when in the end vista will be the primary over XP

My disappointment with Vista wasn't immediate, but with each problem and irritation the overall experience became a negative one.

i had the same reaction. eventually, i reverted back to xp...however, i find myself now itching to put vista back on. there is a lot to like about vista over xp.

Yep, but it's such a battle to wade through it. It's just surprise after surprise of "why would they do that?". I especially don't like the problems with networking between Vista and XP.

vista's compatibility does leave a lot to be desired. this is one area microsoft needs to take a big look at linux in. linux is designed to be compatible with as much as possible.

a ms os having issues talking to another ms os on a network is a big head scratcher, whether it be ms dos or windows xp.

Are there Linux OS's that are better at networking than others or are they all pretty good. I'm not real impressed with what little I've seen of Windows networking whether it's XP or Vista. I've had very little experience though.

ms was caught red handed when they stole some stuff from bsd to improve networking in windows nt :lol:

They didn't steal anything, so there is nothing to get caught at.

BSD uses the BSD license, that license says you can take the code, change it, or do anything you want with it, and you don't have to give anything back.

In other words, what the did with the tcp/ip stacks from BSD were not only legal, but is exactly what the BSD license is designed for.

Are there Linux OS's that are better at networking than others or are they all pretty good. I'm not real impressed with what little I've seen of Windows networking whether it's XP or Vista. I've had very little experience though.

They are all equally good at networking, after all Linux/Apache is what 70% of the internet runs on :P

Some are easier to set up then others because of the differing tools the different distributions have or don't have, but once set up, any Linux distro simply makes MS look downright silly when it comes to networking.

They didn't steal anything, so there is nothing to get caught at.

BSD uses the BSD license, that license says you can take the code, change it, or do anything you want with it, and you don't have to give anything back.

In other words, what the did with the tcp/ip stacks from BSD were not only legal, but is exactly what the BSD license is designed for.

just a big giant rumor, but hey , you got me there, i never read that license :)

I must be one of the very lucky few who haven't had a "surprise after surprise" running Vista.

Now that I have two machines running Vista (Business and Ultimate)... I'm very happy with the way they both perform. I simply have no complaints.

I must be one of the very lucky few who haven't had a "surprise after surprise" running Vista.

Now that I have two machines running Vista (Business and Ultimate)... I'm very happy with the way they both perform. I simply have no complaints.

Naw, I like Vista--no probs.

:)

I am with Jacee on this. All of my XP and Vista machines network just fine. Dont even know what a Vista BSOD looks like. :lol:

My games play great and I have not had a DRM issue yet.

But unlike most users I "KNOW" what will and what wont work. And know how to research when needed. B)

I know it is a pain to find out your software will not work and you have to get a new version (ie. Quickbooks 2006 and older). Kinda funny most of the freeware works :rofl2:

Edited by PORTHOS

I've said this before in another thread:

My issue is with the manufactures of computers...

They are selling Vista pre-installed on their new machines, and they haven't got a clue as to how their drivers, sound cards, mother boards, etc.. work with it!

Who tests these machines? Why do they offer (and sell) their machines with only the minimum requirements? (dollars/money?)

Why do they include Symantec/Norton on these machines? ....only to find out that this program kills quite a few necessary executables?

It's no wonder that the vast majority of new consumers are hating Vista!

If Dell, HP, Acer, etal... actually looked at the requirements for Vista OS then maybe there wouldn't be quite so many "nay" sayers.

I believe those Big companies are just pushing their machines for sale and not giving the buyer the true potential of the Vista OS.

Blame MS because your experience with Vista is not as you expect it? ... but, don't blame the big computer company's "pre-built" computer? :rolleyes:

(Sarcasm is mine)

I've had Vista for about 4 months on the computer I built, and I don't have any complaints about it except Nvidia drivers aren't developed to my liking. However Nvidia drivers do work well with XP. Hopefully they eventually will get it right. Other than that it's a great operating system and much improved over previous versions. I knew what the requirments were when I built my system and it seems rather ironic that Dell, HP, IBM, and other manufacturers don't know what the requirements are.

I know Dell for example will only give you 256mb of ram, and if you want more it's optional! ??? Huh?

It's all about dollars and nonsense! Take advantage of the consumer that knows no difference! Get your computer home and wonder why it freezes, mouse don't work and somtimes re-boots on it's own, only to do the same thing. Call Dell customer service! They will look up your account and say "oh ya you ordered your system with only 256mb of ram, I'm afraid if you want your system to run right you have to order more ram from us, cause no other ram will work!" Not! They know the average consumer don't know much about computers, cause if they did they would not buy from them in the first place!