Sign in to follow this  
zizou

Can't connect to internet after formatting of computer!

I have just formatted my entire computer, and now I have problems getting connected to the internet.

Here's the story:

Upon installing a fresh copy of Windows XP SP2, I opened IE and typed '192.168.0.1' in the url bar, as that was the url for my router configurations. However this appeared: http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1750/19216801wj5.th.jpg

I then unplugged my router and connected my modem directly to my computer instead. I resetted my modem via a switch on the hardware, and i installed the ADSL utility on my computer. This was what happened after i clicked on the 'diagnostic test': http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5493/adslem4.th.jpg

I have tried to set up a new connection via network connections manually, but it all seems like my network adapter isn't being detected. But i have checked my hardware list through 'device manager' and my network adapter is working fine. This is what is showing in my 'Network Connections': http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2795/ne...tionsjh3.th.jpg

I am using a Netgear router and an Aztech ADSL modem. My internet access was perfectly fine before i formatted my computer. Anyone have any idea what is wrong? Help pls?

I'll put money on you needing to install drivers, if you reformatted and haven't installed the drivers thats why you can't get out, odds on you need to install at least your Ethernet driver then you should connect fine, check under your device manager in the control panel and you will see just what needs installing, just go to the manufacturers site and find the item you need and download the driver, save it to disk and swap it to the new install and install it, if you need help identifying what hardware you have download Everest from majorgeeks and that will tell you what you have.

I'll put money on you needing to install drivers, if you reformatted and haven't installed the drivers thats why you can't get out, odds on you need to install at least your Ethernet driver then you should connect fine, check under your device manager in the control panel and you will see just what needs installing, just go to the manufacturers site and find the item you need and download the driver, save it to disk and swap it to the new install and install it, if you need help identifying what hardware you have download Everest from majorgeeks and that will tell you what you have.

Ok thx a million for your suggestion. I'll see if this works and i will post back :)

Ok i have question. In both Network Connections and Device Manager, only the 1394 adaptor is showing. So how do i install drivers for a device which isn't showing?

You need to install the driver before the system will see it, if you tell us what make\model your motherboard is we can direct you to them, but probably 80% or more of your devices will be installed when you install the chipset drivers, but that depends on what board\driver it uses, but if it uses the nForce drivers they install most everything, or else as I said above get and run Everest and it will tell you everything you have on your system.

You need to install the driver before the system will see it, if you tell us what make\model your motherboard is we can direct you to them, but probably 80% or more of your devices will be installed when you install the chipset drivers, but that depends on what board\driver it uses, but if it uses the nForce drivers they install most everything, or else as I said above get and run Everest and it will tell you everything you have on your system.

My motherboard is Gigabyte K8NF-9, not sure what revision it is. So i guess i can install the default mobo drivers that came with the packaging? Or go to http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboa...?ProductID=1860 and download the LAN drivers?

Edited by zizou

Yes you could use the disk that came with it, that should have all the drivers on it, BUT, I always prefer to get the Latest Drivers straight from the makers site as theoretically they should be better than the older drivers.

I also just noticed that this is a duplicate thread, your original is Here and TBH it helps everyone including yourself to stay in the 1 thread about a single issue because then everyone can see whats going on without repeating themselves etc.

This issue is solved! It was really down to the fact that the chipset drivers were not installed.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart to all who bothered to help, with special thanks to 8210GUY, Joe C and IntelGuy.

Cheers PCPitStop!