Sign in to follow this  
zizou

Can't connect to internet after formatting of computer!

I have just formatted my entire computer, and now I have problems getting connected to the internet.

Here's the story:

Upon installing a fresh copy of Windows XP SP2, I opened IE and typed '192.168.0.1' in the url bar, as that was the url for my router configurations. However this appeared: http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1750/19216801wj5.th.jpg

I then unplugged my router and connected my modem directly to my computer instead. I resetted my modem via a switch on the hardware, and i installed the ADSL utility on my computer. This was what happened after i clicked on the 'diagnostic test': http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5493/adslem4.th.jpg

I have tried to set up a new connection via network connections manually, but it all seems like my network adapter isn't being detected. But i have checked my hardware list through 'device manager' and my network adapter is working fine. This is what is showing in my 'Network Connections': http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2795/ne...tionsjh3.th.jpg

I am using a Netgear router and an Aztech ADSL modem. My internet access was perfectly fine before i formatted my computer. Anyone have any idea what is wrong? Help pls?

Use the New Connection Wizard

Best Regards

reboot the modem? :shrug:

edit: ok i see you did that, try to unplug it.

Edited by duanester

the device may appear to work (network adapter) how does it look in device manager, do you have the driver cd incase?

the device may appear to work (network adapter) how does it look in device manager, do you have the driver cd incase?

Well if i double-click on it, it will show that it doesn't have any traffic (0 bytes sent, 0 bytes received). It's an inbuilt adapter, so i don't have any drivers.

Onboard or not, the NIC needs a driver.

What make and model motherboard/computer/etc?

The 1394 Net Adapter in the screenshot is a firewire connection. Does the device manager show an ethernet adapter under Network Adapters?

What does the cable that plugs into the computer from the router look like, this:

LCR_Firewire_4p6p.jpg

or this:

Ethernet_Cable_UTP_Mold_Type_KB_AA06_.jpg

If the cable from the router/modem looks like the bottom cable, that is an ethernet cable that is plugging into an ethernet adapter that should be showing in both the device manager and network connections. If there is no ethernet adapter showing, the next step is to find and install the driver.

Open command prompt:

Start>>Run

type cmd in the box

at the prompt type:

ipconfig /all

the Default Gateway will be the address of your router. If it is indeed 192.168.0.1 then I'm not sure what the problem is. If it is something different then use that IP address to access the web page instead.

You can't change the default gateway, the default gateway IS the IP address of your router. Follow the directions to find out what your default gateway is and that is the address you type into the address bar of IE.

Also, when configuring the router, there should be a setting where you clone the MAC address of your Modem, they have to be the same to access the internet.

Onboard or not, the NIC needs a driver.

What make and model motherboard/computer/etc?

The 1394 Net Adapter in the screenshot is a firewire connection. Does the device manager show an ethernet adapter under Network Adapters?

What does the cable that plugs into the computer from the router look like, this:

post-9930-1193122263_thumb.jpg

or this:

post-9930-1193122398_thumb.jpg

If the cable from the router/modem looks like the bottom cable, that is an ethernet cable that is plugging into an ethernet adapter that should be showing in both the device manager and network connections. If there is no ethernet adapter showing, the next step is to find and install the driver.

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9, not sure what revision.

Device manager and Network Connections only show the 1394 adapter.

My cable looks like the bottom one. So do i go to download the LAN drivers in here - http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboa...?ProductID=1860?

Edited by zizou

yup, get the lan drivers and the chipset drivers too, you should install the chipset drivers before anything else after a fresh install anmd then the rest of your drivers. Windows may install default drivers but getting the oem drivers are better drivers usually

yup, get the lan drivers and the chipset drivers too, you should install the chipset drivers before anything else after a fresh install anmd then the rest of your drivers. Windows may install default drivers but getting the oem drivers are better drivers usually

ok.. thx

will try that this and get back...

Just saw this thread and realised they have another thread on the same issue I have been replying too as well, this was the first post so best to keep it in here now, but the duplicate thread is Here.

Even though this thread is also about what should directly follow the reformat & OS reinstall of a computer, it's basically about internet connectivity, and since there is already a thread about this in the proper forum (Networking, Email, and Internet Connections), and there should only be one thread created for each issue, I'm going to close this one. Please refer to the proper thread located here:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=148648

Thanks, -kd5-