Sign in to follow this  
PORTHOS

Online shopping tips

The Holidays are around the corner and I want to share some shopping tips.

1. Compare prices online: Instead of running around town hunting for bargains, use your computer to compare prices and products before you buy. You may be able to get the best price by purchasing online--but watch out for shopping and handing charges that can ruin your bargain. You may get changed sales tax by some merchants and not by others. Some merchants charge more for shipping and handing then others, so watch out.

2. Shopping Online for local attractions can be another big savings place for you. Many of your local attractions now have ticket sales available online. Disney and Six Flags have sales going on with online tickets. If you buy online, your gonna save some big Bucks. Depending on where your going this summer, you can find some impressive discounts online.

3. Use a secure browser. This is the software you use to navigate the Internet. Your browser should comply with industry security standards, such as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). These standards scramble the purchase information you send over the Internet, helping to secure your transaction.

4. Shop with merchants you know. Anyone can set up a shop online under almost any name. If you're not familiar with a merchant. Determine the merchant refund and return policies before you place your order, also is there is a restocking fee. These should be posted on the company's Web site, also Look for an online privacy policy.

5. Read the customer comments and ratings on the merchants before you order from your merchant. If one merchant charges a little more money and has 200 good ratings on service and another merchant has five good ratings on service and has a lower price, you safer ordering from the merchant with 200 good rating.

6. Pay by credit or charge card. If you pay by credit or charge card online, your transaction will be protected by the Fair Credit Billing Act. Under this law, you have the right to dispute charges under certain circumstances and temporarily withhold payment while the creditor is investigating them. In the event of unauthorized use of your credit or charge card, you generally would be held liable only for the first $50 in charges.

Some companies offer an online shopping guarantee that ensures you will not be held responsible for any unauthorized charges made online, and some cards may provide additional warranty, return and/or purchase protection benefits.

7. Here's my favorite reliable shopping links: Looking for Pc's and accessories Look here: www.pricewatch.com Good Comparison Shopping here: www.pricegrabber.com - Good fast and reliable: www.jr.com - One of the biggest on the web: www.amazon.com. I never used these site but, you can check them out:www.nextag.com, www.mysimon.com, www2.dealtime.com. Compare prices at as many shopping sites before you buy.

Note: Never give your Social Security Number or personal information to anyone unless you initiate the contact. Monitor your accounts frequently for suspicious activity.

Some advice about coupons.

Online discount coupon sites provide great rebates, offers and bargains to the shoppers however you need to take the following safety tips if you are a beginner:

1. You should stay away from online coupon websites that ask you for your personal information so as to print your discount coupon. Because you have a chance to get 100 of spam mails fro each discount coupon they give.

2. Keep away from discount coupon sites that have too many pop ups attached to it since they are annoying and can download viruses to freeze your computer.

3. Online printable coupons and coupon codes are free, so do not think of paying to any of the online coupon sites who provide you with these coupons.

4. Many websites offer freebies or deals which you may find irresistible but remember that there is nothing wrong in freebies but you should be vigilant and not naive. Don't waste your time in idiotic scams.

5. Never complete online surveys to get free stuff or discount coupon codes unless they are from any of the reputable companies.

Edited by PORTHOS

Very nice!

Buy on-line or note requires some attention about price, quality, and, when they ask about personal information you must ask your self, is it really necessary? what they will do with this info.?

The Holidays are around the corner and I want to share some shopping tips.

6. Pay by credit or charge card. If you pay by credit or charge card online, your transaction will be protected by the Fair Credit Billing Act. Under this law, you have the right to dispute charges under certain circumstances and temporarily withhold payment while the creditor is investigating them. In the event of unauthorized use of your credit or charge card, you generally would be held liable only for the first $50 in charges.

As an extra safeguard contact your bank and set up a separate chacking account for online purchases with its own VISA debit card and checks as needed. My bank is Wells Fargo, though any decent bank will do the same. The gal on the phone who helped me in Customer Service said, "Hey! I like that idea! I'm going to do that too!" :clap:

Make sure they don't link any overdraft protection to the account and once you are set up for online banking you can move funds from your main account to the online one as needed. As a rule I keep $1 there and when I get to where it is time to ok the transaction I pause and open a separate browser window, log in to my bank, and make the transfer for the amount they tell me is the final total. Not a foolproof plan to be sure. If you have more than one transaction pending there is still the possibility that someone could take liberties, but the chances for large pilfering are less.