Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

OpenSUSE 10.3 released

It has been officially released.

http://software.opensuse.org/

Downloading the DVD right now just to see if the GM DVD I got a couple days ago is the same.

I do believe the size is slightly larger then the one I got the other day, so this may indeed be different.

Edited by Bruce

Sometimes OpenSuse releases diff type Delta ISOs. I always used to do it during the development cycle, you should have tried that.

As far as I remember, the changes made between gm and final are trivial, no features no bugfixes.

When i checked this morning the linc was still BT so i have ordered the dvd

should be here in 4 to 10 days.

And as is my custom since moving from the dark side

anyone wanting a copy of the 10.3 is welcome to it

just ask.

Bear

When i checked this morning the linc was still BT so i have ordered the dvd

should be here in 4 to 10 days.

And as is my custom since moving from the dark side

anyone wanting a copy of the 10.3 is welcome to it

just ask.

Bear

Bear, you've been doing this for folks for a couple of years now. Hat's off to you. Real nice. :tup:

Bear, you've been doing this for folks for a couple of years now. Hat's off to you. Real nice. :tup:

I figure it this way

There are a lot of folks who obviously spend thousands of hours working on and improving

what i think is the best thing since double chocolate fudge ( hmmmmm fudge), the least

i can do is spread the code as it where.

Just to let everyone know i am able to send the dvd two ways

1. On line with an account i use with newsgroups, i have an account at newsfeeds just for this kind of thing

2. Snail mail

In either case i don't want anything in return except that you pass on as many copies of the dvd as you can.

Bear

Funny that yesterday I happened to go to the OpenSuse website and saw that version 10.3 was available. I haven't kept up with it for a while, so I was a bit surprised to learn here that yesterday was the first day it was available.

Anyway, I've downloaded it. I haven't had a chance to play with it for a while.

So far, 10.3 is running very well for me. Downloaded and installed the 64 bit version. No problems with APIC, and the Flash plugin for Firefox worked out of the box. Both of these had been a hassle for me a few weeks ago. :)

Updated from 10.0 to 10.3 yesterday and am very happy with the install.

Getting the optional add ons and updates during installation was a pleasant surprise.

All hardware on my dinosaur is supported and I didn't have to mod probe ivtv or anything

for my capture card firmware. Yee Haa...remember what a pain that was to try and configure Bruce?

All in all so far I'd give it a :tup:

I'm going to order the box set. I like the direction this is going, maybe I'll do a little more work on the Suse bugzilla if I like it.

I now have it installed on 3 desktops and my laptop.

It works flawlessly on all of them.

It's fast.

Software package management and updater work perfectly.

Community Software repositories can now be added in yast with a simple click of the mouse, you no longer have to search for URL's and enter them manually.

It is an outstanding release, and I only have one more PC to switch over. The wifes computer is always the last one I upgrade.

Well i finally got around to doing the dl and the md5 sums match

So now i am backing up what i want to save such as a few text

and mp3 files and going for the install.

I am dual booting Windblows xp is there any change i should be

aware of or can i just do the install from the dvd ?

Bear

this of course means i can now create copy's or set up for

downloads for those that have or will ask for a copy.

Edited by Bear

hey bear, don't you have a seperate partition for your "/home" diectory? :huh:

if you do, then there should be no need to backup anything as you won't be formatting that partition anyways. ...just carry it over to the next version, only formatting the root partition (/) and maybe the "boot" partition if you made a seperate one for that as well (i did).

if you do not have a seperate /home partition, and you are going to reformat anyways...then you should try setting it up like that if you have the hard drive space. it makes upgrading to a newer release (or reinstalling, if like me you screw up a lot) a snap! just gotta be careful not to format back over it when you perform an upgrade/reinstall down the road. :geezer:

i have a seperate /home partition, and when i installed the 10.3 version last week...i only formatted the boot and root partitions, leaving my /home partition as it was. when the install was done, it booted right up to my old desktop....same wallpaper, icons and everything. all my pictures, movies and mp3 files were right where i left them. i had a quite a few games installed on there as well. and those are still working without having to reinstall. ...all i needed to do was create a few shortcuts in the start menu. :)

if you wnat to try it and need assistance just ask...twas bruce (of course) who advised me to set up that way.

its been a godsend.

Remember it was was Bruce that got me started as well :)

I back up on a regular basis so there is not all that much to back up, that and i like to always start fresh.

All I can say about 10.3 is wow and now i have something new to play with

Bear

Edited by Bear

has anyone noticed something strange with 10.3, for the past few days prior to this new kernel k3b, firefox, yast has been going mad :hiya:

open firefox k3b closes, open k3b firefox closes, yast kept notifying me with the same updates for three days straight :shrug:

it took several tries to get the kernel to install, it would not install running kde, i had to restart because i loss control on my keyboard & mouse and attempted the update in runlevel 3, the update went about 60% and i lost control again, the curser dropped below, running any command was useless without response, i shut down and left for a few hours, attempted again in kde, it worked that time lols (may i add that k3b started on its own each and every time) rebooted asap, on startup loaded the nvidia module then started the system and noticed several modprobe attemps with lines of code in verbos, the system became stuck in verbos, did a hard reboot again, the system starts without xserver, (scratches head) ok, another try, i su and load the module on the second attempt then start x, it was perfect this time, things seem calm and peaceful now :lol:

When I ordered mine the web page said it should ship after October 10th and that they would email me when it was shipped.

Anytime now I am expecting it to ship, so anywhere from 3 to 10 days would be my guess.

We are at the mercy of the company that handles their shipping.

Wow Duanester ran the the d/l checked the check sums, to my suprise the d/l worked the first time. I burned the disk poped it in and bam done everything worked even the nvid card drivers went smoothly no fuss no muss.

Bear

When I ordered mine the web page said it should ship after October 10th and that they would email me when it was shipped.

Anytime now I am expecting it to ship, so anywhere from 3 to 10 days would be my guess.

We are at the mercy of the company that handles their shipping.

Last time I ordered it a company called digital river from ireland shipped it, badly!

On the tracking website it was telling me how it had left Ireland, arrived at a UPS depot in Canada, gone to France, gone to a Citylink depot in Birmingham before it finally got to me!

Last time I ordered it a company called digital river from ireland shipped it, badly!

On the tracking website it was telling me how it had left Ireland, arrived at a UPS depot in Canada, gone to France, gone to a Citylink depot in Birmingham before it finally got to me!

They don't choose the route :lol:

They just ship it, it is up to UPS or Fed EX.......on how it gets to it's destination :P