Sign in to follow this  
rickk1

Microsoft To Extend Windows XP Sales As Vista Concerns Mount

You know what? :lol:

Vista works, and works pretty well.

It is not Microsofts obligation to create drivers for vendors hardware. It is the hardware manufacturers task to do that and then submit them to MS for testing and approval. If they had done that before the final release then Vista would have included more drivers.

The smae pretty much goes for software. It is not Microsofts obligation to make the millions of software applications work with a new OS, especially one that finally does away with everything having root/administrator privileges. It is the software creators job to make their software work with the operating system. Not the other way around.

The comments about the pudgy file system (ie: FAT32) OMG please, please people dump that horrible file system once and for all, welcome to the 21st century. ;) Microsoft stopped using it as the default file system in late 1999 with the release of Windows 2000. They were very smart to dump it, you would be too :P

As much as I am not a fan of Microsoft, all of complaints I see in this thread have very little to do with Microsoft, and more to do with hardware and software vendors slow to adapt to a new OS. You can go back in time, and find the same type posts about just about every release of Windows.

Where the biggest problem lies is in fact "users" and their inability to adapt to new ways of doing things. Vista is a complete change in kernel, security, and interface. It is not a difficult thing to adapt.

Personally I think the largest drawback to Vista are the ridiculous pricing schemes, and the confusion they create with so many different versions.

The simple fact is 99% of the people out there need nothing more then the home basic version. If they want the added multimedia features and lame Aero interface then they should save money and avoid the "Ultimate" version and just buy the Home Premium version.

The things that are included in Ultimate that are not in Home Premium simply wouldn't be missed by the average person, and to be honest, most don't even know what they are, or what the differences are.

Don't pay for things you won't use, don't pay for things you have no idea about.

Then of course there is the upgrade version vs the full version. Wake up folks they are identical in what they contain. The difference is one costs double what the other does, and you have to install the upgrade twice to make it fully functional. :P

In short, Vista is OK, it is people that get really whacked when it comes to using new operating systems. Thats what happens when a company waits 6 years to create a new OS. People get so set in their ways of doing things (creatures of habit) that they just frown on "change". Or say things don't work, because they don't know how to make them work.

So they wait, and wait, and wait until they themselves have fallen behind the times like thee old decrepit OS that they have used for far too many years.

What it comes down to is change. Change for the better. Whether or not people will change is a personal decision they themselves make. ;)

I've never looked at things I buy as me having to adapt to them. I only buy things that are convenient for me to use and that fill my needs and wants. No use building a prettier, safer mousetrap if mice don't go in it. LOL

Actually, the reason for that is the limitation of 32bit operating system. If you had the 64bit version, it would show the entire 4 gb. You may not necessarily be able to use the entire 4 gig if all the other software is 32 bit software. This isn't anything about money, but the limitation of using 32 bit OS.

On-board video does use system memory, but I haven't heard of it using an entire gig of memory. A discrete graphics card has it's own memory.

Just noticed this comment/post.

The 4 gig limitation is most certainly not a limitation of 32 bit operating systems.

It is a limitation Microsoft puts on their 32 bit operating systems.

Other operating systems don't have such limitations.

I am currently running a 32 bit OS and fully utilizing all 4 gigs of memory installed. :tup:

You know what? :lol:

Vista works, and works pretty well.

It is not Microsofts obligation to create drivers for vendors hardware. It is the hardware manufacturers task to do that and then submit them to MS for testing and approval. If they had done that before the final release then Vista would have included more drivers.

The smae pretty much goes for software. It is not Microsofts obligation to make the millions of software applications work with a new OS, especially one that finally does away with everything having root/administrator privileges. It is the software creators job to make their software work with the operating system. Not the other way around.

The comments about the pudgy file system (ie: FAT32) OMG please, please people dump that horrible file system once and for all, welcome to the 21st century. ;) Microsoft stopped using it as the default file system in late 1999 with the release of Windows 2000. They were very smart to dump it, you would be too :P

As much as I am not a fan of Microsoft, all of complaints I see in this thread have very little to do with Microsoft, and more to do with hardware and software vendors slow to adapt to a new OS. You can go back in time, and find the same type posts about just about every release of Windows.

Where the biggest problem lies is in fact "users" and their inability to adapt to new ways of doing things. Vista is a complete change in kernel, security, and interface. It is not a difficult thing to adapt.

Personally I think the largest drawback to Vista are the ridiculous pricing schemes, and the confusion they create with so many different versions.

The simple fact is 99% of the people out there need nothing more then the home basic version. If they want the added multimedia features and lame Aero interface then they should save money and avoid the "Ultimate" version and just buy the Home Premium version.

The things that are included in Ultimate that are not in Home Premium simply wouldn't be missed by the average person, and to be honest, most don't even know what they are, or what the differences are.

Don't pay for things you won't use, don't pay for things you have no idea about.

Then of course there is the upgrade version vs the full version. Wake up folks they are identical in what they contain. The difference is one costs double what the other does, and you have to install the upgrade twice to make it fully functional. :P

In short, Vista is OK, it is people that get really whacked when it comes to using new operating systems. Thats what happens when a company waits 6 years to create a new OS. People get so set in their ways of doing things (creatures of habit) that they just frown on "change". Or say things don't work, because they don't know how to make them work.

So they wait, and wait, and wait until they themselves have fallen behind the times like thee old decrepit OS that they have used for far too many years.

What it comes down to is change. Change for the better. Whether or not people will change is a personal decision they themselves make. ;)

Very true, the most sensible thing in this thread.

But, as long as your hardware isn't working, don't buy it! People seem to think they have some sort of right to have it working, they buy Vista and then think they can just moan and moan to get their hardware working!

Here's a novel idea to users considering an upgrade, check if your hardware and software is well supported first! If it is, great, if not then don't bother

Microsoft To Extend Windows XP Sales As Vista Concerns Mount

The software company said it will make the full version of Windows XP available to PC manufacturers and retailers through June 30, 2008.

Cool... :tup: -kd5-