Sign in to follow this  
Ricky27

RAM?

I was wondering whether anyone can tell me what effect RAM has on gaming as I seem to have all the requirements to play Medal Of Honor Airbourne except for the processor but that shouldn't matter should it? But I have 1 GB of RAM and it is so glitchy and stop start, could the RAM be the cause. The game requires 1GB of RAM and that's what I have but I can't find any other reason for it.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Ricky

I was wondering whether anyone can tell me what effect RAM has on gaming as I seem to have all the requirements to play Medal Of Honor Airbourne except for the processor but that shouldn't matter should it? But I have 1 GB of RAM and it is so glitchy and stop start, could the RAM be the cause. The game requires 1GB of RAM and that's what I have but I can't find any other reason for it.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Ricky

Are you using the computer in your tech express link? I see no reason why an Athlon 3200 wouldn't be fast enough.

With more ram, more of the program can be loaded into ram. This is much faster than reading from a hard drive. With less ram, it loads what it needs into ram and then has to either page (use part of the hard drive as ram) or it unloads it from ram and loads other parts of the program it needs from ram. So, with more ram, you have less hard drive activity which means smoother performance.

Then again, if you're using the computer in the tech express link, your problem is more likely because you're using integrated video instead of a discrete video card.

Are you using the computer in your tech express link? I see no reason why an Athlon 3200 wouldn't be fast enough.

With more ram, more of the program can be loaded into ram. This is much faster than reading from a hard drive. With less ram, it loads what it needs into ram and then has to either page (use part of the hard drive as ram) or it unloads it from ram and loads other parts of the program it needs from ram. So, with more ram, you have less hard drive activity which means smoother performance.

Then again, if you're using the computer in the tech express link, your problem is more likely because you're using integrated video instead of a discrete video card.

Hi mate, thanks for your reply and yes I am using the computer in the tech express link, I just brought a new video card so it shouldn't be that, it is the Nvidia 8600GTS PCI-E, but someone told me it was the RAM that could be an issue so now ordered another 2GB to go with my already 1GB which hopefully should solve my problem. What do you think?

Thanks again for the reply and your help so far, what you said made sense,

Ricky

Edited by Ricky27

Hi mate, thanks for your reply and yes I am using the computer in the tech express link, I just brought a new video card so it shouldn't be that, it is the Nvidia 8600GTS PCI-E, but someone told me it was the RAM that could be an issue so now ordered another 2GB to go with my already 1GB which hopefully should solve my problem. What do you think?

Thanks again for the reply and your help so far, what you said made sense,

Ricky

I think 1 GB is fine. But your hard drive seems a little cramped. Try upgrading and cleaning it up. Also, Make sure the settings on the game are not maxed out.

I agree with kido. Clean that hard drive up.

www.ccleaner.com

Download that, run it, clean yo junk.

Then download O&O defrag.

http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/product...efrag/index.php

(30 day trial version)

Defrag your harddrive, it might take a long time..so i'd leave it overnight..or something.

An 8600GTS isn't the most top of the line, so high settings and a large resolution would cause it to bog down. Make sure you run it with a somewhat modest detail settings.

you'll also run into this problem if you didn't properly remove ALL your old video drivers.

and for some reason, the mohaa series depends alot on your cpu. back when breakthrough came out, i had a lower than suggested cpu and it ate my system alive. slaped in a new cpu and it was fine. i'd suggest running driver cleaner on the old card first though. may clear up your problems.

and 3 gigs of ram will be plenty for anything you do now, lol

Sorry is a cpu a another name for power supply or proccesser? If a power supply then I just brought one to go with this video card. By the way I cleared out my hard drive now and got 65GB free.

Edited by Ricky27

CPU = Processor.

A 8600GTS is plenty fine to play todays games

Ok thanks, so could you recommend one that I could simply take the old one out and put the new one in, are they all stndard size?

It's an adhesive that puts a seal between the processor and the heatsink. It allows for the heat to transfer from the processor and the heatsink. Basically it makes for a larger surface contact area, and has high thermal transfer capability.

It makes it so your processor doesn't overheat or fry.

That video is a great tutorial on how to remove a heatsink.

Installing a processor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drwH08jP0-k&NR=1

Apply thermal compound.

Installing heatsink. (Starts at 2:40)

Give those videos a look.

Edited by porksandwich9113

It's an adhesive that puts a seal between the processor and the heatsink. It allows for the heat to transfer from the processor and the heatsink. Basically it makes for a larger surface contact area, and has high thermal transfer capability.

It makes it so your processor doesn't overheat or fry.

That video is a great tutorial on how to remove a heatsink.

Installing a processor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drwH08jP0-k&NR=1

Apply thermal compound.

Installing heatsink. (Starts at 2:40)

Give those videos a look.

Cheers and thanks for your help.

That has helped me loads,

Ricky

Edited by Ricky27

The term "thermal paste" is a bit of a misnomer because it's not an adhesive at all. The technical term for it is "thermal interface material", though "thermal grease" is commonly used.