Sign in to follow this  
duanester

Microsoft loses antitrust appeal

As I was reading this, I was left scratching my head. Why does the EU not want Media Player included in Windows? I mean, what's wrong with providing something for free? Are they wanting to protect companies that sell different types of players? To me, it seems that the customer loses out on this one.

other companies want to use there player( they want people to pay for it ) or profit in ways like spyware or adware, they want a piece of the pie.

As I was reading this, I was left scratching my head. Why does the EU not want Media Player included in Windows? I mean, what's wrong with providing something for free? Are they wanting to protect companies that sell different types of players? To me, it seems that the customer loses out on this one.

Microsoft has a monopoly on the desktop, that gives them a not only a clear advantage but gives them an extremely "unfair" advantage against competitors of other players.

The great majority of people use whatever comes with their computer when they purchase it. When Microsoft includes such applications people do not buy other applications, of course then there is the proprietary codecs and media file formats that are used in that application which are incompatible with other players unless they pay Microsoft a ransom fee for the license to distribute the codec with other players.

It is simply put, an unfair advantage that does more harm then good in the computer industry.

That is however only a very small part of the suit, the larger part and more important part is Microsoft's efforts over the years to make things difficult if not impossible when it comes to interoperability with their servers and software. This also harms consumers, and other companies who make competing products.

A company will work hard to make software, operating systems and servers that inter operate with other systems only to have their efforts purposely thwarted by Microsoft changing things to break the interoperabilty.

Samba and CIFs is a perfect example. When Vista was released it would work with Linux/Unix Samba servers. Microsoft didn't do anything to fix wjhat they broke, because they "broke it on purpose". The Samba team worked hard and diligently to find work arounds to make it function as it should. Pretty bad isn't it when third party developers have to fix the things Microsoft breaks on purpose.

As for NFS, well if you pay the paltry sum of $499 for Vista Ultimate, you get the Unix services utility. They removed Unix services from all other versions. ;)

Again, they didn't do this to make things easier, or to "benefit" their customers. :rolleyes::lol:

All said and done, they lost once, they brought it to the appeals court and lost again. It's time for them to comply with the court orders, stop their constant and continuing efforts to use their monopoly powers to put a strangle hold on anything and everything they touch.

I despise Microsoft, but not half as much as I despise controlled markets.

Sod off EU, leave us Linux folks to it.

i just wonder what they will do with all that suit monies :huh:

The EU is a very pricey operation. It has thousands upon thousands of officials, the vast majority of decision makers are unelected and receive some of the best wages in the country.

i was never a WMP fan, i always resorted to alternative media players.

i do think that WMP was a success for microsoft, but from my understanding an alternate player say like itunes sales millions in music among other content, i think this is where this will go if they appeal for the that judgment against them, eventually they will exhaust all there appeals :lol:

i always have found it interesting that people hate windows because it doesn't include enough...

Enough what ?

Seems to me that if i want any of the so called free extras to be fully functional i need to buy them.

In the past several years of using Suse i have yet to have to pay for anything and everything i use is

fully functional baring a few pacakge downloads.

Guess I will stick with what works best

Bear

i think you misconstrued my comment, bear.

what computer manufacturers install on their systems has nothing to do with windows.

i think you misconstrued my comment, bear.

what computer manufacturers install on their systems has nothing to do with windows.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one

When the dominant os is windows then it has everything to do with it.

I am most excited with Bruce's post about oem drivers here

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=147451

I know there is a huge difference between an operating system and drivers but at least this is a starting point

who knows it could lead to bigger and better things as far as computing in general.

Bear

So if I ever need a new copy of Windows XP (and I don't plan on using vista) how the heck will I get WMP? Not too big a fan of it but it is a player and it IS free plus I like the visualisations for it.

Will it still be available to download from microsoft? I'm in the UK BTW.

my friend gave me his vista operating system, i sold it for 200$ bucks, its incredible how bad people want such a hacked up piece of junk :lol:

i would honestly get offended if he would have charged me :mrgreen:

Edited by duanester