Sign in to follow this  
SimonSmith

Is this a virus?

Comodo is a great free firewall, I have used it for a while and love it. It is very powerful, but once you figure everything out and it learns your preferences it should be easy. And AVG is a great program if you don't want to renew whatever other one you use.

I'm afraid errors on memtest86 likely mean bad hardware (not necessarily RAM), bad settings in the BIOS, or some conflicts between hardware. The only real way to find out what is causing these problems is by process of elimination.

So before I go on with what to do next, how comfortable are you working inside a computer? Have you ever built a PC before? I can give detailed step-by-step instructions, or less detailed depending on your experience....... :geezer:

Comodo is a great free firewall, I have used it for a while and love it. It is very powerful, but once you figure everything out and it learns your preferences it should be easy. And AVG is a great program if you don't want to renew whatever other one you use.

I'm afraid errors on memtest86 likely mean bad hardware (not necessarily RAM), bad settings in the BIOS, or some conflicts between hardware. The only real way to find out what is causing these problems is by process of elimination.

So before I go on with what to do next, how comfortable are you working inside a computer? Have you ever built a PC before? I can give detailed step-by-step instructions, or less detailed depending on your experience....... :geezer:

I know much about building computers, never done it as I can't be bothered but I've read many tutorials on how to do it. I'm not entirely sure about my PC though as some details were left out about my PC in it's manual.

To be on the safe side you'd better give me detailed step-by-step instructions on what to do cos I'm a bit rusty.

EDIT: Almost forgot to post an update on the memtest86+ results.

I ran memtest86+ for about 12 hours, and here are the results:

WallTime Cached Rsvdmem MemMap Cache ECC Test Pass Errors ECC Errs

---------- ------- ------ ---------- --- ---- ----- ----- ------- ------

12:02:30 1023M 276M e820-std on off Std 38 18432 0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error Summary:

Test: 6 Errors: 5831

Test: 7 Errors: 13234

Date: 29/09/2007.

And that's the full 12 hour test.

Edited by SimonSmith

Sorry I took so long to get back, I've been so loaded up with school work lately I can barely get on and post. :pullhair:

The first thing we should try, and the most probable cause of your problems is the RAM. First you need to know what type it is. It should be either DDR2 or DDR since your PC isn't too old, but if you have no idea which one it is here's a site that can help you out. Just plug your system manufacturer and model into the "Crucial Memory Advisor" and it should tell you what kind you have. Find out if it's DDR2 or DDR, or maybe even something else. Next you need to see if you have any RAM of the same type in another PC that you can borrow (just for testing purposes, it can go back soon). The easiest way to see if your RAM is causing the problem is to swap it out with sticks that you know work from another PC, and see if your PC is stable. Then you can even narrow it down to which stick of RAM is bad, and replace.

Here's a guide on installing RAM........it's also part of a whole PC building tutorial, if you're confused about something you might find the answer faster looking through it. One thing I have to add is to touch part of the metal case of the PC to ground yourself while working inside. Static can hurt hardware, so while moving RAM around try to handle it as little as possible and not rub your feet on carpet :lol:

Sorry about the rushed instructions, if you have anything you're unsure about please ask and I will try to get back to you. Back to my homework..... :thud:

Thx. :) Yep that's my PC alright. Is there any other memory I need to know about? I remember something about motherboards having DDR2 and DIMM slots or something like that. I'm a bit rusty at messing with my PC but I should soon get back into the swing of things.

BTW do you know how I can check what motherboard I have? Also I'm not sure about how I open my PC case, I don't know if it unscrews like most of them or what! I wish MEDION would supply more info about their PCs. :angry:

The main reason I bought this computer was because it was good value. I guess it wasn't now.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my Pentium 4 computer which IS working is from 2002 maybe even late 2001, the memory for it sure isn't DDR2 as it's got such an old motherboard, so I can't swap it with the memory in my broken computer. I don't know what motherboard is in my Pentium 4 computer either, but I wouldn't mind finding out.

Edited by SimonSmith

With an OEM pc they don't make motherboard model numbers easy to find. You can try googling the model # of your PC, or give me the # and let me try. Use the crucial memory advisor I gave a link to earlier and enter your PC model, it should be able to tell you what type of RAM you have. It might work on your working Pentium 4 machine as well.

DIMM actually stands for "dual in-line memory module", basically it means a stick, so DDR2 is a DIMM......

To open the case, just look for some screws or maybe even a release on the sides, top, and back of your PC. If you find big screws that look something like Posted Image, those should be the right ones. If you can't find those big screws or a release, start taking out screws, but make sure you remember where they go and don't lose them. Also forgot to mention, UNPLUG YOUR PC BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

If you don't have any of the same RAM, and there's nobody you would feel comfortable borrowing RAM from, you might have to buy new stuff.............the problem is there is a possibility the RAM isn't causing the problem, and I would hate to tell you to buy something and find it didn't solve the problem. But you can always consider it a good excuse for upgrading.

I gave up on OEM computers after I learned enough to get away from them. If you want a PC cheaper, with better quality, without bloatware, and upgradeable for years you might want to consider building your next one. You know a lot already, and we can help you do it here at the Pit. ;)

Again sorry for the rushed post.........if I missed anything or you have more qestions, please ask. :mrgreen:

Also forgot to mention, UNPLUG YOUR PC BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!

I think that's kind of obvious...

the problem is there is a possibility the RAM isn't causing the problem, and I would hate to tell you to buy something and find it didn't solve the problem. But you can always consider it a good excuse for upgrading.

I don't think anybody would be too happy about me borrowing RAM from their computer, so I don't think that's an option. And I know that it might not be the ram and buying new could be wasted but according to that crucial memory advisor said my computer could support 4GB of ram (4000MB) and I wanted some more RAM anyway but I never had a reason to get some.

But before I do that is there any way I can make sure my BIOS is configured correctly? I have AwardBIOS but I'm not sure what version it is, and I have no idea what sort of chipset my computer has, but was bought in december 2005 so I guess I could find out. It's been ages since I tinkered with my BIOS and I'm not sure how to use it anymore so could I get detailed instructions on how to check the settings that could affect the memory and what they should be set to?

I gave up on OEM computers after I learned enough to get away from them. If you want a PC cheaper, with better quality, without bloatware, and upgradeable for years you might want to consider building your next one. You know a lot already, and we can help you do it here at the Pit.

Thx for all the help. I already learned how to build computers, but I haven't ever done it, and I haven't read anything about how to do it recently so I've forgotten most of how to. I just couldn't ever be bothered as I couldn't see the advantages and I thought a bought computer was just as good.

So wrong! I would get a much better system if I built one. I say goodbye to bought PCs after this. :cr@sh:

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention, my faulty PC is a MEDION Titanium 8800MD, and I'm not sure what my working Pentium 4 is.

Edited by SimonSmith

I think that's kind of obvious...

Ya never know with some people, I just have to be sure.

If you just want to go get more RAM, now is a great time because prices are extremely low.

I would recommend some of this> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145034

2gb of fast DDR2 800mhz for $60. And Corsair XMS2 is some nice stuff from my experience, stable as a rock, fast, and a good overclocker if you ever get into that. You should notice a difference in speed going from 1gig of cheap DDR2 533mhz.

I think this is your PC on Medion's site if you want more info. http://www.medion.co.uk/flash/md8800/

I don't know much about the motherboard, besides that it's BTX instead of the standard ATX design, so very few coolers or cases work with it.

But before I do that is there any way I can make sure my BIOS is configured correctly? I have AwardBIOS but I'm not sure what version it is, and I have no idea what sort of chipset my computer has, but was bought in december 2005 so I guess I could find out. It's been ages since I tinkered with my BIOS and I'm not sure how to use it anymore so could I get detailed instructions on how to check the settings that could affect the memory and what they should be set to?

Every BIOS is different, and I wouldn't even know where to start. If you can find a manual for your motherboard that might tell you something, but many OEMs lock down most of the settings in the BIOS so people can't mess anything up.

So wrong! I would get a much better system if I built one. I say goodbye to bought PCs after this.

:clap: That's what I decided a few years ago, and I could never go back.

:mrgreen:

Yep that's my PC. But the website doesn't show me the make of my motherboard. I'll get some new RAM and forget the BIOS settings for now. Thx for the help.

On a footnote for some strange reason my PC seems to be working fine now, I'm not sure if it will continue this way but I'm sure with bad RAM it won't. I've turned off automatic updates and configured windows update to prompt me when a new update is available and ask me if I want to download and install updates when they are available, so that system files can't get messed up if my PC crashes while it's updating.

And BTW that newegg link is probably useless for me because I'm in the UK and newegg are an (american?) company. And also I can't use dollars in the UK.

And BTW that newegg link is probably useless for me because I'm in the UK and newegg are an (american?) company. And also I can't use dollars in the UK.

I forgot about that........Here's a nice list of sites you could buy from. http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=114745

I don't think the problem would have magically gone away, but you could wait and see........ :sparkle:

Easier to just get the RAM though if you already wanted to upgrade, and if it doesn't solve the problem we can help you more.

Edited by Simonsells91

No the problem didn't just magically go away, my computer crashed again. I don't know why but temporaily windows was working fine. Right now I'm trying to set up knoppix which boots straight from LiveCD because I heard that linux can avoid bad memory pages using the BadRAM feature. Can knoppix do that as well? I expected it would.

BTW I found out about the linux badram feature HERE at http://www.memtest86.com/ and I also noticed that there were more recent versions of memtest on that website than the versions on the memtest.org website to download, which were also free. At first I thought you had to pay for them when I saw the home page, but then I realized that you only had to pay for the CD-ROM and the downloads of these versions were free after all.

Yea I think I will get some more RAM and if the problem continues I will ask for more help.

Edited by SimonSmith