Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Black Screen of Death

Reduced functionality, after one hour renders a computer useless, but the really bad news is

"Don't let this happen to your customers," the advertisement indicates nongenuine copies of Windows Vista will lose access to key features, have limited access to updates, and thus risk attack from viruses, malware and spyware.

A copy of this e-mail was obtained by Computerworld.

Good afternoon, as of this week, Microsoft has activated a function in Vista called 'Reduced Functionality.' This is a specific function in Vista that effectively disables nongenuine copies of Windows. Therefore anyone who has a pirated copy of Vista will experience:

A black screen after one hour of browsing

No start menu or task bar

No desktop

Please communicate this antipiracy initiative from Microsoft to your resellers -- note this function has only just been activated in Vista worldwide and therefore any issues with nongenuine versions will start to arise from now onward."

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9035478

Microsoft of course has the right to try and protect it's patents and copyrights, however forcing this onto computers without the owners consent is just plain wrong, and not allowing updates is a huge mistake that will make everyone out there more at risk.

This is in my opinion why "AutoPatcher" was issued a cease and desist letter. Microsoft is attempting to shut down other avenues of updates. ;)

Now for a bit of humor :lol:

In related News MS has announced Vista™ The coin operated system. MS Spokesbeing Lucifer T. Dvel, is quoted as saying "This is the one OS that every one has been eagerly awaiting. No longer will you need to worry whether your Software is Pirated and poor MS is losing your money. Now it will not matter where you obtain Vista™! You simply feed in coins to give your computer the ability to operate for whole minutes at a time! Once a month our Goon Squad err.. I mean our Representatives, will come and collect the Loot err.. our rightful amount due."

By instituting this new OS, MS hopes to stem the tide of potential money lost from their projected windfalls of a Gazillion dollars. It is sad that some would wish to stop MS from realizing their fair profit potential. Thank goodness MS has solutions.

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=42521

Has Microsoft adopted an even tougher stance on piracy? According to recent e-mails warning of new, harsher anti-piracy measures in Windows Vista, that was believed to be the case.

Australian PC World printed an e-mail Tuesday it says was sent from a Microsoft representative to an unspecified large Vista OEM distributor. The e-mail describes a new initiative which renders computers running a pirated copy of Vista unusable by making the screen totally black.

Microsoft was quick to debunk this e-mail warning of a Black Screen of Death. A Microsoft representative told Wired News "the reporter received inaccurate information," and that the company has not rolled out any updates to Windows Vista's anti-piracy platform.

but heres what ms says

http://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/public/...ista/Flash.html

Edited by duanester

None of this surprises me at this point. This is just one more reason that people will stick with XP. At the same time, Linux and Apple will continue to improve in true features, and they will win, while Microsoft tries to improve revenue by reducing piracy.

Yeah, but if people are sticking with XP, it won't be long until microsoft ends all updates and support for XP just to get people to switch.

yup...M$ has already started that method with W2K...you can't get IE7 (not that I would use it anyway) and any other enhancements now because M$ is trying to make W2K obsolite, XP will definetly follow in the future

I've got no problem with MS protecting their product. People squawked enough to get a response from them so they will go about it in a more gentle manor. About the time Open source gets were the masses can use(want to use it) it there will be a way to start charging for it. Everyone will be screaming that it's worse than Microsoft used to be. LOL.

What do you mean there will be a way to charge for it?

There are companies making millions from open source software :lol:

'Microsoft of course has the right to try and protect it's patents and copyrights, however forcing this onto computers without the owners consent is just plain wrong, and not allowing updates is a huge mistake that will make everyone out there more at risk.

This is in my opinion why "AutoPatcher" was issued a cease and desist letter. Microsoft is attempting to shut down other avenues of updates."

I mean that eventually you can replace the word "Microsoft" in the quote above with what ever open source competative product is appropriate. :P

I mean that eventually you can replace the word "Microsoft" in the quote above with what ever open source competative product is appropriate.

How so?

The open source community does not force anything on anybody. Some Corps that make linux, like Novell and Red Hat do support their customers with auto update opportunities, But I don't see them cramming anything onto an unsuspecting customers system at anytime in the future, I don't even think they could even if they tried to. System security on linux boxes wouldn't allow it

None of this surprises me at this point. This is just one more reason that people will stick with XP. At the same time, Linux and Apple will continue to improve in true features, and they will win, while Microsoft tries to improve revenue by reducing piracy.

Apple could be great if they got *ahem* "themselves" in gear. :lol: They had a processor back in 1998 which made their computers twice as fast as PCs! If they used hardware made specially for their computers-which isn't slow, and didn't overprice for it, then they could be a great company. Right now for the graphics card in their iMacs they use ATI, they're a good make for video cards but the one they use isn't too good. If they used high-end hardware they could be a great company.

Edited by SimonSmith

'Microsoft of course has the right to try and protect it's patents and copyrights, however forcing this onto computers without the owners consent is just plain wrong, and not allowing updates is a huge mistake that will make everyone out there more at risk.

This is in my opinion why "AutoPatcher" was issued a cease and desist letter. Microsoft is attempting to shut down other avenues of updates."

I mean that eventually you can replace the word "Microsoft" in the quote above with what ever open source competative product is appropriate. :P

Read the GPL. It protects the user, not the vendor.

the source is open, if they would try and force updates the core components can be easily modified and it will be completely legal, try and modify these components in ms products :lol:

the source is open, if they would try and force updates the core components can be easily modified and it will be completely legal, try and modify these components in ms products :lol:

If you ask me, these linux distributions REALLY need more professional customer service. Do you even get online updates with linux like you get with windows update? I'm not familliar with linux.

If you ask me, these linux distributions REALLY need more professional customer service. Do you even get online updates with linux like you get with windows update? I'm not familliar with linux.

Yes, and problems are usually addressed sooner than with Windows.

You can download a "Live CD" that will allow you to boot from the CD using Linux. Nothing is installed, it just runs Linux from the CD. This would be a good way to just test it out a bit.

Edited by Cowboy3000

i just got a update notification, they always make improvements :)

notice the bottom right next to the speaker ;)

Posted Image

its funny how i was replying to you and it started a update.

as far as service, i do not need it!

How can you sit there and tell people what Linux needs if you by your own statement you don't have a clue about Linux? :huh::blink:

That said, exactly what "professional customer service" does Microsoft give you? :P

Edited by Bruce

More profesional. more profesional than what?

Lets see in the past six months

1. Chatted (e-mailed really) several times with the novell folks (and i am not even qualified for any kind of help)

2. Have had several one on one conversations with a few programing

folks about music related software.

3. Sent away for my Suse 10.3 cd from Austria and got it post haste

5. Even got a response from a user questioaire i filled out, no it was not an auto response because we passed several e-mails.

I can not think of a single instance in all the years i used windows that i had any real customer service, in fact for the most part i wasted my time with it.

Bear

I read somewhere you don't get much tech support with linux (not that you get much with windows anyway) I guess that was wrong. Not bad for an OS which is free. :tup:

I also heard though that linux has quite allot of security holes that hackers could easily get into. Think I read something about there being more security holes than windows.

Then again, I've got a wireless router with wired ports as well so I guess I'm ok anyway.

And right now I am testing out linux, I'm using knoppix linux because of linux's BADRam feature as most of my memory is bust. I don't think knoppix updates itself, but then you boot that off CD so I guess that makes sense. But I think they should upload at least important knoppix security updates to be saved to user's knoppix ramdisks.

Edited by SimonSmith

SimonSmith where are you getting your information from?

Your comments sound to me like somone who is having problems with a particular distro and thinks that linux is comparable to windows, May i suggest you post your problems in the linux forum and go from there.

Bear

SimonSmith where are you getting your information from?

Your comments sound to me like somone who is having problems with a particular distro and thinks that linux is comparable to windows, May i suggest you post your problems in the linux forum and go from there.

Bear

I dunno. It was just something I heard about ages ago and I can't even remember where. Something about a linux distro having allot more security problems compared with windows. :shrug:

If that's true then I suggest if it ever becomes a mainstream OS instead of windows, then they should fix said problem.

Edited by SimonSmith

to hear it from me, i don't care what fud was spread about, simply said everything you hear isn't always true , i wont say linux is completely secure, i can say security is one of the biggest reasons i stopped paying for windows and running it on my systems :)

theres just too much detail to reveal to come up with a reasonable explanation !

you have to experience it and see it for your self and disregard all the intentional fud.

i will also reply to

Not bad for an OS which is free.

its free, very true, you have a choice to pay if you like ;)

pay for support and they will mail out a box set with purdy art work on the dvd along with the manual, if you have trouble you can call them :)