Sign in to follow this  
d0nut

Installing Opensuse. Advice needed.

I am about to install Opensuse 10.2 on my desktop PC, but I am in a bit of a quandary. I have two hard drives, and would like to install Opensuse on my second HD. How do I go about this? I don't want to start installation before I am fully prepared. Are there any benefits or snags using a separate HD? I am currently running Windows XP pro.

Thanks.

d0nut

Edited by d0nut

OpenSuSE will propose a partitioning scheme for you, if it doesn't choose the second drive you can click the link and change it to the spare hard drive.

It will handle installing the bootloader all by it's self.

Help! I have begun installing and now have a screen with a list of settings. The first one is in RED "Shrink Windows partition/dev/hdb1 to 14.5 GB. What should I do? Change or accept?

Do you want to use the full drive or is that acceptable to you?

If it is acceptable then just accept it.

What it wants to do, is just what it says, shink the existing arttion to make room for itself.

If you are sure that isn't the drive with windows on it, then it is safe to accept the proposal.

Thanks, Bruce. It says, "The partition setup displayed is for your hard drive." It doesn't say which HD.

Edited by d0nut

If it is your spare drive you can accept the proposal just as it is.

If you want to use the whole drive then change it :tup:

Well, just had an error report and aborted the installation. Should I reformat the HD? There are a few files on there which I could remove and reinstall on my C drive. Sorry to be a pain. :(

d0nut

If you accepted to "resize" it, and it was in typical windows fashion fragmented, then it will abort.

It aborts because if it resizes a fragmented drive it would destroy the data on it. It is a sfaety measure.

Move your files and Format the the whole thing

Bruce. Can't see anything that looks like an option to format the drive. Maybe I don't read the language. :(

When the partitioning scheme is presented, you can click the "link" that is there, select the drive you want to use, choose the option to use the whole drive.

Bruce. When I get to that stage, this is what I see.

Partitioning

Create swap partition/dev/hdb7 (745.2MB)

Create root partition /dev/hdb8(8.3GB) with ext3

Create partition /devhdb9(12.2GB0 for /home with ext3

Set mount point of /dev/hda1 to /windows/D

Set mount point of /dev/hdb1 to /windows/D

The options when I click on the Partitioning link are:

Accept proposal

Base partition setup on this proposal

Create custom partition setup

Create LVM Based proposal.

Thanks for your patience.

d0nut

Do you want to use the entire space of your 2nd drive for Suse? If so how big is the drive?

Thanks, Kram. Yes, I can use the whole drive. It's 40 gig.

Edit: Just looked at the disk properties and it now shows only 15 gig capacity?

Edited by d0nut

You will want to select Based partition setup on this proposal.

All partitions using hdb you need to delete. Then you will want to setup your new partitions for that drive. Click create and the select the proper drive and then primary partition. You will need to create 3 partitions "swap" size of 2GB first, then "/" size of 20GB and then "/home" with what is left over. It will look like this when you are done.

Create swap partition/dev/hdb1 (2GB) for swap

Create root partition /dev/hdb2(20GB) for / with ext3

Create partition /dev/hdb3(18GB) for /home with ext3

Set mount point of /dev/hda1 to /windows/D

Set mount point of /dev/hdb1 to /windows/D

Well, thanks to Bruce, Kram et al, I am finally up and running. Just one problem. The screen now asks me for a username and password. I know I put in a password during installation, but certainly not a username. How do I get round this?

Well, thanks to Bruce, Kram et al, I am finally up and running. Just one problem. The screen now asks me for a username and password. I know I put in a password during installation, but certainly not a username. How do I get round this?

Wow! This seems to be a major problem http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...ad.php?t=520581 Anyone got the answer?

Well, by a stroke of good fortune I stumbled on the answer in a forum. For the username type in 'root' followed by the password which I had already put in during the installation. Thanks, everyone. :P