Sign in to follow this  
cmunson

Comcast shuts down bandwidth hogs

just read about that today in pcworld, not sure why its news now as i dont doubt its been in comcasts service agreements for a very long time.

but as in the article i read mentioned, companies should have the right to get rid of bad customers which effect us good customers.

for instance, lets say you use 300gigs a month and your my next door neighbor...how would that effect me when your downloading so much stuff and i just want to watch a youtube video or download 1 lousy game demo yet pay the same price as you?....it is unfair dont ya think?

it boils down to those who take advantage of services, it only takes 1 to ruin it for everybody, so realistically we should probably all be glad people who take advantage of servies me dissmissed

Edited by cL1cKm3.exe

No, you have it the wrong way around! You should get the speed you paid for maxed 24/7 for the month. Because you use less you should be charged less....not the people using the connection like they should be being charged more or just downright punished.

this is nothing new. cell phone companies have been doing something similar since the beginning. in the service agreement there's a clause that states that if you use the phone too much off of their own towers, then they can terminate your service.

comcast, however, needs to disclose just what the limit is. also, if the network is getting bogged down, they need to upgrade it. blaming the users for your company over-extending itself is bs.

Edited by badbinary

I don't have Comcast, however I pay for an unlimited service touted as for those who download and upload a lot, I would be extremely :filtered: if I was shut down because I used the service as it was advertised.

If they sell an advertised service as "unlimited" and then place limits on it, then they are using deceptive business practices.

this is usually in the small text of almost all broadband services. though the numbers are never stated in plain text, if you are a "hog", they usually throttle you 'till the end of the month. it's REALLY a big deal on the satelite users for some reason.

i do agree though that if you buy unlimited, you should get unlimited. and also if you're guaranteed a certain service, you should get it. though w/ cable or dsl, that could mean that they could throttle you down to your actual guaranteed speed since it's not usually guaranteed at the package specs.

comcast is upgrading thier lines, have been for quite a while with fiber optic...i know cause i contract for their rivals AT&T putting in fiber optic for Uverse..which sucks imo

dont blame comcast, they have shared line connection, they cant just upgrade that fast, if you had my job you'd understand why.

No, you have it the wrong way around! You should get the speed you paid for maxed 24/7 for the month. Because you use less you should be charged less....not the people using the connection like they should be being charged more or just downright punished.

trust me i see what your saying...but if you and I are neighbors, both paying for maxed 24/7 and were both downloading 24/7, were competing for bandwidth, now were both alot slower and taking that much more from our other neighbors, comcast cant just magically give us more without cost, it costs billions a year to cover state wide upgrades. their point of view is that if your maxing out your bandwidth 24/7, your not being fair to others who pay just as much as you do....your a bad customer or call it your taking advantage of it at the expense of others without care.

theres 2 sides to every story, but seriously do you want to be that family's next door neighbor?..honestly

how many here want to be sharing a connection with someone who downloads 4 movies worth of data a night??

if you say no, then dont be a hypocrite by saying that family should stay on as customers

I have been through Comcasts web site and read several of their customer agreements. None of them, not one, nada, not a single mention of bandwidth restrictions were mentioned. The specific broadband and digital telephone service does not mention restrictions or limits either.

http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/1/Cu...egalStndENG.pdf

They could at least tell you how much is to much. Quote from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7090602545.html

"You have no way of knowing how much is too much," said Sandra Spalletta of Rockville, whose Internet service was suspended in March after Comcast sent her a letter warning that she and her teenage son were using too much bandwidth. They cut back on downloads but were still disconnected. She said the company would not tell her how to monitor their bandwidth use in order to comply with the limits.

... comcast cant just magically give us more without cost, it costs billions a year to cover state wide upgrades. their point of view is that if your maxing out your bandwidth 24/7, your not being fair to others who pay just as much as you do....your a bad customer or call it your taking advantage of it at the expense of others without care.

Then what difference would it make if you had a "business" account? Do they have a different cable in the ground for "business" users?

If they don't want people using unlimited bandwidth, then they shouldn't advertise as such. I went through this same thing years ago when I worked for an ISP.

No one answered my question...would YOU want to share a connection line with someone who uses up that much bandwidth? if not then dont complain.

i certianly wouldnt so i could care less if they have limits, i've never reached it and i download alot.

They could at least tell you how much is to much.

they do. its roughly 1000 songs or 4 movie downloads per day. its not a definit, but only if you continue it everday each month after they warn you.

if its not everyday or exceed 280gb's in a month for 2 months in a row...they dont have a definit limit as i said, they determin it by the number of red flags from each user, if you get so many "red flags" the higher ups or management team make decisions. if they think your a "bad" customer and taking advantage of them (which is taking advantage of your neighbors) then they warn you.

seriously even 100 gigs a month is quite a lot imo, some of you may be movie nuts but seriously you should go with netflix by mail or something

i'm not seeing anyone raise any clear solutions, just complaining...updating lines is not a magic thing and thier on it full tilt

Then what difference would it make if you had a "business" account? Do they have a different cable in the ground for "business" users?

If they don't want people using unlimited bandwidth, then they shouldn't advertise as such. I went through this same thing years ago when I worked for an ISP.

not different less the company chooses T1 or T3 line, a more direct fiber optic feed.

aside from that business can choose 6 or 8 meg connections however, they charge more money for a busniess i dont know their exact procedures for bunsness's, i just do AT&T's crap but thats from what i gather from what i've seen and heard on the job

No one answered my question...would YOU want to share a connection line with someone who uses up that much bandwidth

that doesn't truly follow...

even if i'm using my connection 24/7 to download stuff over my 10mbit line, the most bandwidth i can use is what the company lets me use...generally up to 10mbit at a time. you're limited in that regard, but told you can use up to that much as much as you like.

let's say the throughput on the main line to the neighborhood is 1000 mbit. if 100 people use 10mbit 24/7, there shouldn't be much of a problem. however, the way they sell it they sell 1000 people on that 1000mbit line assuming that not everyone will use it at the same time. this is true, but at the same time, it causes everyone to get slower connections when more people are using the service.

so, if comcast had properly sold it's service, customer a using 10mbit 24/7 would not affect customer b's service.

so, the main reason your question hasn't been answered is because it's the wrong question.

Edited by badbinary

No one answered my question...would YOU want to share a connection line with someone who uses up that much bandwidth

If they are paying for it, then I could care less what they use.

If there is a problem, then it is the providers fault, not the customers fault.

I personally pay for an unlimited 10 meg down 1 meg up connection, that is what I expect to get.

If I get less then that it isn't my neighbors fault, it is the providers fault.

My neighbor didn't sell me the service, my provider did.

If the provider is incapable of giving the service they advertise then they need to upgrade their hardware to comply with the services they promise.

that doesn't truly follow...

even if i'm using my connection 24/7 to download stuff over my 10mbit line, the most bandwidth i can use is what the company lets me use...generally up to 10mbit at a time. you're limited in that regard, but told you can use up to that much as much as you like.

let's say the throughput on the main line to the neighborhood is 1000 mbit. if 100 people use 10mbit 24/7, there shouldn't be much of a problem. however, the way they sell it they sell 1000 people on that 1000mbit line assuming that not everyone will use it at the same time. this is true, but at the same time, it causes everyone to get slower connections when more people are using the service.

so, if comcast had properly sold it's service, customer a using 10mbit 24/7 would not affect customer b's service.

so, the main reason your question hasn't been answered is because it's the wrong question.

If they are paying for it, then I could care less what they use.

If there is a problem, then it is the providers fault, not the customers fault.

I personally pay for an unlimited 10 meg down 1 meg up connection, that is what I expect to get.

If I get less then that it isn't my neighbors fault, it is the providers fault.

My neighbor didn't sell me the service, my provider did.

If the provider is incapable of giving the service they advertise then they need to upgrade their hardware to comply with the services they promise.

like i said, upgrading isnt a magic thing, especially if its anything similar to how we do At&T's fiber lines.

your all...well assuming you live in most cities ...on Copper feeds, not fiber

so your shared area is always limited, they cant just add more crap, its rediculous how much lines are already underground and on poles overhead.

so therefore its not the wrong question, if your neighbor slows you down, you wouldnt want him on, you can blame provider all you want but there wont be no fiber lines direct to your house anytime soon so why bother complaining cause the fact remains that the bandwidth hog is still being a hog.

as far as the unlilmited badnwidth ads, probably not what they should do but theres millions of companies that arnt too moral in that dept. they get away with it but i understand how you all feel with misadvertisements but doesnt change the fact that it takes a few to ruin stuff for us all

Customers are not ruinging anything :lol:

They are paying for the service just like everyone else and are entitled to use that service.

If the provider is incapable of providing what they advertise, then they, no one else is at fault.

I can't believe I agree with Bruce and BadBinary. :thud: But, then again, this isn't PD.

If it's soo expensive, wouldn't it be easier in the interim to figure a way to do a monthly cap, and have a way of letting the customer know what that cap is and what percentage of that cap they are at?

intended use...thats the key word here today

i was talking to my coworker yesterday, an elextronics engineer with masters who worked at comcast for several years. he didnt hear the story so i gave him a rundown and aksed some questions, although i forgot half of it..lol

i was wrong in thinking that the shareing of connection was at the Node "(where fiber optic is transformed to "coaxial" and shared by a small area.

apparantly its shared at the OC48 (192gbps fiber optic) its shared throughout the whole town (i didndt follow or recall all the techno jargon he mentioned)

anyway he said that if a customer was using that much bandwidth, it effects everyone who is fed from that OC48. while he said everyone could notice a drop in speed. i'm thinking i doubt most people would notice much, not everyone pays attention to download speed or notice seconds on a webpage loading.

i asked about how feasable it is for comcast to upgrade service to meet such demands from those users. i was thinking adding more fiber, things like and from what i know doing my job with AT&T, its a long,expensive elaborite process. but they cant cause FCC regulates that, so you cant blame comcast. blame the FCC, no matter what they try to upgrade, your limited by the OC48. so there is no upgrading per say.

he had no comment on the "unlimited bandwidth" advertisement.

he said he though the story sounded more like a legal thing, where the user might have changed the firmware on his modem,he explained some techno jargon again in how our modems handle bandwidth and other things? anyway i dont recall that being mentioned in the articles i read, but he seemed firm on thinking that way. but the agreement you sign says they can do whatever they want with your service more or less.

so in fact customers can ruin it for everyone else, its in the way the cable connections work and how the FCC regulates it. if you lived in the area where such customers were allowed to use it like that, then you'd constantly be complaining to the cable company who would or could do nothing more about it and your just SOL

my perspective is like this. its like you go to an all you can eat buffet. you take everything on the buffet except for crumbs for your family all at once and everyone else is left with crumbs. when the cooks bring more you go back and take it all up again.

the cooks can only provide so much due to buffet table space.

How would that make you feel to be left with crumbs? all they did was take advantage of the "all you can eat" part of the buffet. while not realistic the anology applies the same.

this kind of thing happens in alot of other things where people take advantage of something and it hurts others who are more legitimate to its "intended use".

Edited by cL1cKm3.exe

once again...the customer is simply using the bandwidth that comcast has sold to him. if it's to the point where him using the bandwidth he paid for affects someone else, then comcast oversolf their product.

that is not the customer's fault, it is comcast's.