Sign in to follow this  
IlikeStuff

logon password

i bought a used laptop computer off of ebay and it is password protected.is there anyway i can recover or change the password so that i am able to log onto the computer? the way it is now i can't even get pass the password screen to reinstall windows or do anything at all.anyone have any advice? any info is appreciated.thanks

i bought a used laptop computer off of ebay and it is password protected... i can't even get pass the password screen to reinstall windows or do anything at all.

The laptop you own...the windows software on it you don't own so you won't get

much help here bypassing any passwords.

Why do you need windows to boot up to install another (legal) copy of windows?

Its easy to get past (just google) but i doubt you will get any advice on how to bypass it on here.

Just use your windows cd and format and re install using your own windows disc. You dont need to boot up into windows to do that.

Keith

Edited by doofus

Its easy to get past (just google) but i doubt you will get any advice on how to bypass it on here.

Just use your windows cd and format and re install using your own windows disc. You dont need to boot up into windows to do that.

Keith

the problem is that i need to know the password in order to get into the bios and change the boot settings to start from the cd.without the password i'm not able to boot up to the windows cd to install the fresh copy of windows

Like humbluemoon mentioned maybe you should contact the seller and ask the same question?.

Keith

i have contacted the seller and he responded with some suggested passwords i could try,so im sure he doesn't know what it is.the make and model is a Toshiba Tecra 8100.i do have the option of sending it back if i cant figure it out but it's a really nice and clean laptop and i'd hate to have to do that.thanks to all who have responded so far.any advice or ideas are appreciated

i have contacted the seller and he responded with some suggested passwords i could try,so im sure he doesn't know what it is.the make and model is a Toshiba Tecra 8100.i do have the option of sending it back if i cant figure it out but it's a really nice and clean laptop and i'd hate to have to do that.thanks to all who have responded so far.any advice or ideas are appreciated

Some bios's will stop you from trying to key in passwords after 3 attempts, so you could be locked out permanently according to what i read online.

Find out the bios name and get back to us. I know of a site which has suggested names per bios maker. Tho if its been changed from the default bios password then only the one who created it would know, and then you may have to send it back as it would be kinda pointless.

Also some bios's will reset the password if the battery is pulled for 24hrs or longer. I guess you can try that if nothing else works and your gonna send it back.

Seeing as its a toshiba and seeing as you dont know if the bios password is the default, try keying in toshiba as the password. According to the site i mentioned thats the default for most toshiba laptops.

Most Toshiba laptops and some desktop systems will bypass the BIOS password if the left shift key is held down during boot

Try that as well.

Keith

Edited by doofus

Some bios's will stop you from trying to key in passwords after 3 attempts, so you could be locked out permanently according to what i read online.

Find out the bios name and get back to us. I know of a site which has suggested names per bios maker. Tho if its been changed from the default bios password then only the one who created it would know, and then you may have to send it back as it would be kinda pointless.

Also some bios's will reset the password if the battery is pulled for 24hrs or longer. I guess you can try that if nothing else works and your gonna send it back.

Seeing as its a toshiba and seeing as you dont know if the bios password is the default, try keying in toshiba as the password. According to the site i mentioned thats the default for most toshiba laptops.

Try that as well.

Keith

i tried using toshiba as the password with no luck,i also tried admin and administrator.this is the info i got on the bios from the website (BIOS

APM V1.2; ACPI V1.0b; PnP V1.0a; VESA V2.0;

DPMS; DDC2B; SM Bios V2.3, PCI BIOS V2.1) thanks for the suggestions you made.all excellent advice but unfortunately they didn't work

Send it back unless you feel like spending about $400 for a new motherboard. Toshiba Tecra's have the latest security chip on them and you can not bypass it. The only people that can do that is Toshiba themselves and this laptop sounds stolen to me if the seller does not know the password, so I doubt Toshiba is going to help you much or maybe send a cop by your place to see why you have stolen merchandise.

Id send it back and get intouch with ebay about the seller. It does sound kinda iffy assuming what KRAM said is true, which i have no reason to doubt. KRAM seems to be a pretty smart cookie (sometimes :P) so you can feel safe with that info.

Keith

Id send it back and get intouch with ebay about the seller. It does sound kinda iffy assuming what KRAM said is true, which i have no reason to doubt. KRAM seems to be a pretty smart cookie (sometimes :P) so you can feel safe with that info.

Keith

i found a site on the net that explained how to build a ''backdoor loophole'' to clear the bios password,it costs me about $8 to make it.i'm not sure what happened with the bios password,but the windows oassword the seller gave me worked fine,he said he just couldnt remember the bios password.thanks for the replies everyone,good and bad lol