Sign in to follow this  
youngjan

Vista Spooling/Printing Slow

Hope someone can help - just got a new PC with Vista Home basic pre-installed & loaded the Vista drivers for my Canon LBP5200 laser. I have to wait for ages for anything to print (3-4 minutes to load the status monitor). I've got it installed as a local printer. Hope there is some sort of fix for this.

Hope someone can help - just got a new PC with Vista Home basic pre-installed & loaded the Vista drivers for my Canon LBP5200 laser. I have to wait for ages for anything to print (3-4 minutes to load the status monitor). I've got it installed as a local printer. Hope there is some sort of fix for this.

Hmmm, sorry from what you typed I don't know if your just using the Vista printer drivers or if you've downloaded Vista compatible drivers from Canon. If you've done the first option, then I'd recommend you download and install the Canon drivers Drivers Here

I'm assuming you either didn't have this problem with your old PC or you didn't have this printer (if your trying to print through the LPT port (not likely these days, but you never know ;) ) you may want to try using a USB interface instead.

The warmup time on that printer is spec'd at 2 minutes or less if it's on already; are you sure your not catching that initial lag?

Hi, yes I used the printer with an older PC running XP (happy days :) ) and apart from the initial slow warm up it was fine. It's USB, connected to USB1. The drivers I loaded were from the Canon site.

Any other thoughts?

Thought I'd let you know it's sorted at last. It was the firewall causing the problem. I am using Windows Firewall, disabled the check on the Canon LBP5200 print server and everything is back to normal now :) .

Thanks for your help, Jan

Thought I'd let you know it's sorted at last. It was the firewall causing the problem. I am using Windows Firewall, disabled the check on the Canon LBP5200 print server and everything is back to normal now :) .

Thanks for your help, Jan

Hi. I have the excact same problem as you. Vista Firewall causing slow printing with my Canon LBP 5200... I am wondering how you disable the check you are talking about? Is it a configuration under the advanced security settings for the firewall? Or do you add an exception rule for the CNAC3RPK / SWK files? I have been trying different settings but it is still slow as h....

Hope you can help me with a little more detailed description :-)

Thanks!

Hi. I have the excact same problem as you. Vista Firewall causing slow printing with my Canon LBP 5200... I am wondering how you disable the check you are talking about? Is it a configuration under the advanced security settings for the firewall? Or do you add an exception rule for the CNAC3RPK / SWK files? I have been trying different settings but it is still slow as h....

Thanks!

A friend has asked me to help him with the problem described in this topic. He has a new, well-specified Vista machine and Canon laser printing is unacceptably slow. I installed the printer on my own Vista desktop PC and am experiencing the same delays. As part of the driver installation process Canon LBP2900 RPC Server Process was added to the Windows Firewall Exception list so this is not the problem. This topic has been dormant for some time but I am hoping that someone is still monitoring it and that we may raise some more suggestions.

My own obsolescent Samsung laser works fine (in spite of using a Lexmark driver because Samsung did not provide a Vista version!!!)

A friend has asked me to help him with the problem described in this topic. He has a new, well-specified Vista machine and Canon laser printing is unacceptably slow. I installed the printer on my own Vista desktop PC and am experiencing the same delays. As part of the driver installation process Canon LBP2900 RPC Server Process was added to the Windows Firewall Exception list so this is not the problem. This topic has been dormant for some time but I am hoping that someone is still monitoring it and that we may raise some more suggestions.

My own obsolescent Samsung laser works fine (in spite of using a Lexmark driver because Samsung did not provide a Vista version!!!)

As part of the driver installation process Canon LBP2900 RPC Server Process was added to the Windows Firewall Exception list so this is not the problem.

How wrong can you get? I switched off Windows Firewall and the printer goes like smoke, so it appears that the inclusion of the RPC Server Process in the Firewall Exception list during the installation of the driver is ineffective. So what do we do now?

Thanks!

For what it's worth I got round the problem with the LBP2900 by switching off Windows Firewall and installing the free Firewall from ZoneLabs. ZoneLabs Firewall then offered to add the Canon Advanced Printing System to its program exception list. The three files added were:

• C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\CNAB4SWK.exe
  • C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\CNAB4LAK.exe
  • C:\Windows\System32\CNAB4RPK.exe
The printer is working well.

For what it's worth I got round the problem with the LBP2900 by switching off Windows Firewall and installing the free Firewall from ZoneLabs. ZoneLabs Firewall then offered to add the Canon Advanced Printing System to its program exception list. The three files added were:

• C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\CNAB4SWK.exe
  • C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\CNAB4LAK.exe
  • C:\Windows\System32\CNAB4RPK.exe
The printer is working well.

I had exactly the same issue and it seems that the engineers at Canon included a wrong file in the firewall exclusion list. By default, the driver installer excludes this file:

C:\Windows\System32\CNAB4RPK.exe

After I excluded the same file in a different folder (see below), everything is running fine even with original Vista firewall.

The correct file to exclude is:

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\CNAB4RPK.exe

Tomas

I had exactly the same issue and it seems that the engineers at Canon included a wrong file in the firewall exclusion list. By default, the driver installer excludes this file:

C:\Windows\System32\CNAB4RPK.exe

After I excluded the same file in a different folder (see below), everything is running fine even with original Vista firewall.

The correct file to exclude is:

C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\CNAB4RPK.exe

Tomas

There is an easier and simpler solution: download the latest version of the Canon CAPT driver for the LBP2900 from here http://software.canon-europe.com/software/0028393.asp?model= and install it. The installation program fixes the Windows Firewall issue automatically. Restart your computer and your printer will print any document without delay. Hope this helps.

Groucho